|Birth: ||Feb. 19, 1839|
|Death: ||Jan. 2, 1940|
Age: 100y 10m 14d.
Born in Missouri, at the age of twenty-one years Michael came to Illinois and was later joined here by his parents, brothers and sisters. He married Matilia J. Robertson 30 Aug 1862. Enlisted to serve in the US Civil War on: Aug. 12, 1862 in Co. D 115th IL Infantry. "One of five brothers whom served in Civil War." Michael was in Shermans March to the sea, and participated in 17 battles. At the time of his death, he was last surviving Civil War veteran (of Rushville, Schuyler Co., IL. Five Dace brothers served in Civil War. "On August twelfth, the boys who were willing were to enlist under the Stars and Stripes and pledge themselves to the Union. Accordingly the boys were called to meet at Sugar Grove and Captain Huckstep formed a company known as the CO. D 115th ILLINOIS VOLUNTEERS. Michael was there and unhesitatingly gave up all that was near and dear, parents, sweet heart, and enlisted for service. These boys were marshalled to CAMP BUTLER, situated on the outskirts of the VILLAGE OF SPRINGFIELD. There to await orders to march to the front. In due course of time they were given a three days furlough and Michael, was not long in making his way home. At this time, August 30, 1862, Michael (age 23) and Marilda Robertson (age 16) were married. He served in the Union Army for three years, returning home at the close of the war to his home and family. Michael Homer and his brother Edwin Wallace were tent mates during the Civil War. There was a special closeness between the two brothers. Politically, Mr. Dace was a Republican, and he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in the presidential election of 1864, and throughout the years never missed voting for Republican presidential candidates till 1936."
Married: Matilia J. Robertson, 30-Aug-1862.
1. 1889-1920 Forence Dace-Rose.
2. 1869-1878 Ossa Owen Dace (married-1, Clifford Elgin; married-2, Robert H. Rose).
3. 1865-1941 Albert Henry Dace (married, Magaret Frisby).
4. 1867-1954 Mary Mollie C. Dace-Schramm (married, Charles Schramm).
5. 1882-1960 Daisy L. Dace-Kruse (married, Robert P. Kruse) .
6. 1884-1978 Homer Michael Dace (married-1, Nellie Ashley; married-2, Pearl Coffman Ebright-[unknown]).
7. 1878-1959 James Vernon Dace (married, Marilda Jane Robertson).
8. 1886-1946 Harry C. Dace (married, Flora Sichman).
9. ????-???? Orris Dace [died in infancy].
Mr. and Mrs. Michael Dace celebrated Golden Wedding Anniversary (Friday, August 30 1912).
SOURCE: Rushville Times
Marilda Jane Robeson Dace (1846 - 1921)*
Albert Henry Dace (1865 - 1941)*
Ossa Dace (1869 - 1871)*
James Vernon Dace (1879 - 1958)*
Rushville City Cemetery
Created by: Robert Kuhmann
Record added: May 08, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 52135363