REVOLUTIONARY WAR Pension Application #R8719 filed by Sarah Gordon Dye Reynolds, 17 NOV 1849:
(1) Sarah Gordon states she married William Dye on 6 June 1798 in Caswell County, NC. Their marriage certificate was placed in the family bible and that bible was given to a son who moved to Missouri. She states that she continued to be the wife of William Dye until his death in 1823. After which she married Matthew Reynolds who died 6 years ago December and she is now a widow.
(2) William Dye was a private in the Army serving under Gen. Greene, was at the surrender of Cornwallis and watched him surrender his sword to Washington, was honorably discharged at the close of the war while living in Halifax County, Virginia before, during, and after the war. The night before they moved from NC to Kentucky, William Dye decided the discharge papers he had kept for 25 years were no longer useful and were burned.
(3) Close Friends - George Adams, James Adams, & John Adams testify in Pulaski Co, Ky court of knowing William Dye for many years before his death and believe that he was a soldier in the Revolutionary War & was married to Sarah Reynolds, a woman of good character.
(4) Catherine Dye Black & Shadrack Dye, both of Pulaski Co., KY, made oath in open court stating they were present in Caswell County, NC when Sarah Reynolds married William Dye in the home of Polly Randall, and that Sarah's maiden name was Gordon. Both also testified that they heard their father speak of his service in the Rev. War and many of the battles he was in.
(5) Sadly, the pension was not granted upon the grounds that the proof of marriage was not sufficient. 22 AUG 1851.
wife #1) Rebekah Randolph, before 1770 in Halifax Co., VA; children include -Margaret, Sarah, Anna, Delilah, Shadrach, & Katherine.
wife #2) Sarah Gordon, 6 JUN 1798 Caswell Co., NC; children include - John H., Tabitha, Nancy, Isaac, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, James L., Sally, & Fanny.
(NOTE: Children's names have come from various family sources - some have been proven, some have not.)
CENSUS & DEED RECORDS:
VA Deeds 1770-Bk.8, Pg 97-8; 1776 Bk.10, Pg.188-9; 1791-Bk.15, Pg.197; 1797-Bk.17, Pg.308-9; 1799-Bk.18, Pg.204;
VA Census 1785 (9); NC Census 1800 (5); KY Census 1810 (9), 1820 Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky - William Dye is found with wife & 9 children.
NOTE: BELIEVE WILLIAM DYE IS BURIED SOMEWHERE IN PULASKI COUNTY, KENTUCKY.
Sarah Gordon Reynolds (1782 - 1852)
John H. Dye (1800 - ____)*
Created by: KaysRoots
Record added: Jun 09, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 71075598