George Albert Roberts, Sr - 81, a native of England and resident of Haskell County since 1919, died at 6:30 am, Tuesday in his home five and one half miles southwest of Haskell. Mr Roberts had been in failing health for about one year. A member of the Methodist Church, he farmed for a living.
He was born June 12, 1877, in Bermington, England, and came to the US with his parents in 1886, at the age of nine. They settled in Runnels County. Mr Roberts married Mary Fynetta Gowens on April 26, 1904 in Coleman County, TX.
Funeral is set for 10:00 am Thursday at the East Side Baptist Church, with the Rev Claude Slate, pastor of Pinkerton Baptist Church, and the Rev LD Region, pastor of ESBC officiating. Burial will be in Willow Cemetery under the direction of Holden's Funeral Home.
Survivors include his wife Mary Fynetta.
Children: 01. William Albert "Bill", B. 5/20/1905-12/22/1965, M. Lillie B. 1/16/1914-6/02/1992, girls - Deloyce Roberts & Joyce Roberts Mueller
02. Rachel, B. 4/16/1907, M. Alford C (Pete) Caudle B. 2/04/1899 - no children
03. Ruby "Rose", B. 1/31/1909-7/12/1999, M. George Logan, daughter - Loraine
04. Delia Fynetta, B. 2/02/1911-1920, (died at age 9 from rattlesnake bite)
05. George A (Jr), B. 5/22/13-4/09/2002, M. Mattie Lou, girls - Gaile & Fleita
06. Artie Harriett, B. 1/05/1915, M. Otto Spurlin dec'd, girls - Paula & Ruby Jean, M. Vic Price
07. General Washington (GW), B. 8/02/1917-9/14/1987, M. Doris Banks, four children - Doris Jean, Bobby Ray, Albert Lee & Alta Mae
08. Jms Jeffery "Jimmy", B. 12/27/1920-5/24/1956, M. Geneva, children - Judy & Ronnie
09. Mary Elenaor, B. 11/05/1922-2/15/2000, M. WE "Buster" Fowler B. 1/17/1917, five children - Mary Edna, Willard, Glenda, Ruthie & Jerry
10. Baby Cecil died @ birth 9/16/1926
Three brothers: Will of Kansas City, KS; John & Jim both of Talpa; two sisters, Mrs Nellie Starr of Grand Prairie, TX and Mrs Lizzie Midgler of Ballinger, TX; 18 grandchildren & six great-grandchildren.
Preceding him in death: a son Jimmy Roberts is buried in Rule, TX. Baby son Cecil died at birth, and daughter Delia Fynetta died from a rattlesnake bite at age nine - both buried in Capron Cemetery 5 miles from Stamford, TX. Most of the other children buried in Willow Cemetery, Haskell, TX.