|Birth: ||Sep. 27, 1902|
|Death: ||Jan. 8, 1921|
Printed in Daily Herald on 1/10/1921:
"REEVES FRANCIS HAAS BURIED"
"The funeral of Reeves Francis Haas who died at 2 p.m. from the result of fatal burns received when gasoline exploded from a lighted match while he was at work at the Biloxi Automobile Company's garage on Saturday was held yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock from the residence of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Haas, 624 Lameuse street. Services were conducted under the auspices of the Church of the Nativity and interment in the Biloxi cemetery. Young Haas was a native of Biloxi and 18 years of age. He resided in Biloxi all of his life, and was one of the best thought of young men in the city. A large number of relatives and friends attended the funeral of the deceased."
Printed in Daily Herald on 1/8/1921:
"REEVES HAAS FATALLY BURNED IN GASOLINE EXPLOSION TODAY"
"Reeves Haas, a young man if seventeen years, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Haas, of north Lameuse street, was fatally burned this morning shortly before 10 o'clock, when gasoline, ignited from a lighted match, exploded, speading the liquid over his entire body and blowing out at tank on the rear of an old chassis which was standing nearby where the young man was working, in the rear of the garage of the Biloxi Automobile Company. Frank Johnson, another employee of the company, was also engaged in the same work with young Haas, and miraculously escaped injury. Young Johnson, who appeared to be calm regardless of the fact that he came so near receiving burns from the flying gasoline, in a statement issued shortly after the explosion said that he and Haas were employed in cleaning a rear axle of an automobile immediately outside the rear door of the garage on a washrack. Haas, he said, had a bucket containing some gasoline in it, probably a little over a half a gallon, with which they were washing parts of a machine. They both lighted a cigarette and he is of the opinion that they had thrown their matches to the floor and they were out, when the explosion, which was heard by people in the front of the building, occurred, immediately enveloping the body of Haas in flames. It is presumed that the fumes in the bucket first caught fire and caused the explosion in the tank and the gasoline to spread over his body. With the blazing gasoline over his body and clothes, Haas immediately ran into the building, making it impossible for Johnson to throw water on him. Johnson said he called to Sidney Haas, mangager for the concern, who was engaged in another part of the building, and he immediately set to putting out the fire. In the meantime Hubert Armstrong, who happened to be passing, heard the explosion and screams of the young man who was a that time in agony, so he went to his assistance and at the suggestion of others, he took his coat from his back and threw it over the young man's head in an effort to prevent the flames from reaching his face and other parts of his head. The coat was burned to pieces and regardless of the fact that an effort was made to prevent it, young Haas inhaled the flames...In putting out the fire Sidney Haas was assisted by his father, Robert Haas, Arthur Boney, and others. The fire alarm was also turned in and the entire fire department answered the call but they were not needed as nothing was burned about the building and while the flames which engulfed young Haas were so serious that reports from his bedside shortly after the accident were to the effect that he was not expected to live. Shortly after the fire Sidney Haas rushed young Haas, who is a cousin of his, to the Biloxi City Hospital where everything was done to relieve him from his agony, it appeared to those attending him that the burns were so frightful that he would not survive him. It was considered nothing short of miraculous that Johnson, who also had a lighted match while he stood immediately next to Haas, that he escaped injury when the explosion occurred. It all happened in short a period that he was at a loss at first to understand just how the explosion occurred, but which shown the bursted gasoline tank on the rear of the chassis he realized how this serious accident happened...Reeves Haas, after suffering excruciating pain for several hours, following the accident which occurred this morning, died this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed."
George Francis Haas (1873 - 1940)
Olympe Roche Haas (1878 - 1957)
Biloxi City Cemetery
Created by: Carmella Seymour
Record added: Dec 23, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 45725143
Weep not for me my loved ones dear,I am not dead but sleeping here I was not yours but God's aloneHe knew best, He called me home.|
Added: Dec. 3, 2010
Added: Apr. 10, 2010