|Birth: ||Nov. 7, 1826|
|Death: ||Dec. 31, 1903|
William Lemmon Jepson was the fourth child in a family of seven brothers and one sister. At an early age he grew interested in living out west and seized the opportunity in 1850 to come to California, where he became a gold miner. Later he visited the Sandwich Islands and Panama. then returned to Missouri, where he married Martha Ann Potts, in 1856.
In 1857 Martha and William set out to California with a train of three ox wagons and some livestock. After a long, perilous journey, they settled on a farm in Vacaville township in Solano County. They had six children:
• Eliza Josephine "Josie" Jepson - married Moses Hendricks, originally of Solano County, CA (and later Oakland, CA) in 1888.
• Lucy Frances Jepson a talented writer who died in 1885 at the age of 25.
• Mary Elizabeth Jepson - b. Feb. 15, 1862, In Vacaville Township, Cal., d. St. Helena, Cal., Feb. 3, 1910; married Frank Pellet of St. Helena, CA on July 20, 1892 at Vacaville, CA.
• An infant who died in 1864
• Willis Linn Jepson - of Berkeley, CA, one of the founders of the Sierra Club and the country's most eminent early botanist
• Amos Carl Jepson - died at the age of nine in 1880 after falling from his horse
**Above information from History of Solano and Napa Counties**
William Lemmon Jepson died in Vacaville, CA in 1903. From History of Solano and Napa Counties: "He was a man of the highest integrity, simple in his tastes and habits and of marked sobriety and industry. He had a strong constitution and until the end of his life never knew illness or disease."
Martha Ann Potts Jepson (1832 - 1918)
Eliza Josephine Jepson Hendricks (1858 - 1923)*
Lucy Frances Jepson (1860 - 1885)*
Infant Jepson (1864 - 1864)*
Willis Linn Jepson (1867 - 1946)*
Amos Carl Jepson (1871 - 1880)*
WILLIAM LEMMON JEPSON
Born in KY, Nov. 7, 1826
Died Dec. 31, 1903
Pioneers of 1850 and 1857
High Minded, Steadfast, God Fearing
They Loved this Land of Vaca Valley
For its Quiet Peace and Home Tradition
Created by: Rosemary
Record added: Aug 20, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 15436402