|Birth: ||Apr. 21, 1957|
|Death: ||May 19, 1961|
Jamie Edward Hibberd was the second of four children (and the only son) of Thomas Edward (Ted) Hibberd and Barbara Davis, who resided at 801 Hamlet Road in Ottawa. Early on the afternoon of May 18, 1961, four-year-old Jamie was riding his tricycle home along Saunderson Drive from the Hutton Avenue municipal playground when smoke began to issue from his clothing. Within seconds, and in view of a number of bystanders, he burst, screaming, into flames. A number of adults came to his aid, two burning their hands trying to remove his clothing and one throwing a blanket over him. Despite his state of shock, Jamie managed to state his name and address, and also that he had found a match on the playground. (A same-age playmate and neighbor of his, David Bowering, subsequently told police that he and Jamie had found several matches on the playground.) Jamie suffered second- and third-degree burns to 90 per cent of his body: the next morning, he died in Ottawa Civic Hospital, where he had also been born. The remains of his clothing were sent to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police laboratory, where it was determined that the garments had become saturated with gunpowder from spent pre-Victoria Day firecrackers which had littered the playground; that a match in one of the pockets had been ignited by a combination of body and atmospheric heat; and that the resulting fire had been oxygenated by the day's brisk winds.
Capital Memorial Gardens
Plot: Garden of the Christus, Lot 103, Space C-3
Created by: Anonymous
Record added: Feb 11, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65493803