|Death: ||Jun. 4, 1871|
Full name: Hannah Gilbert Wright Coffin.
Date of birth: The family bible page shown at the right lists Hannah's date of birth as "25th of 4th month 1791," but it should be noted that that page lists numerous births, up through 1820, all in the same handwriting and same ink, so obviously the births weren't recorded anywhere near 1791. The McBrides' Highland County cemetery book records Hannah's tombstone inscription as saying that she died "6th m. 4th d. A.D. 1871, a. 80-1-19." That would calculate to a date of birth of 18 Feb 1791. In view of the discrepancy, only the year of birth appears at the top of this memorial.
Hannah Gilbert's first husband was John Wright (1786-1822). Her second husband was Samuel Coffin (1781-1861).
Parents: Hannah was one of 10 known children of Joseph Gilbert and Ann/Anna/Anne Mash/Marsh Gilbert. The marriage of a Joseph Gilbert and an Ann/Anna/Anne Mash/Marsh was recorded at Old Swedes Church in Philadelphia on 30 Jan 1781. [Ann Mash and her sisters Elizabeth and Mary had been received in Oct 1780 at Buckingham Monthly Meeting, PA, from Kingwood MM, Hunterdon Co, NJ; Joseph Gilbert was "guilty of fornification" with her, and they had been married by a "hireling Minister," according to records of the Buckingham Preparative Meeting (1781-1782); Ann was readmitted by Buckingham MM in 1783, and in Aug 1783 she requested a certificate to Fairfax MM, VA.] Joseph was born 1750-1760, but his date and place of death are unknown. Ann/Anna/Anne is said to have been born 5 Aug 1751 in Rahway, Union Co, NJ.
The children of Joseph & Ann Gilbert (Hannah and her siblings), so far as we know them, all married in Columbiana Co, OH:
(1) Lydia Gilbert (no dates known), married John Davis in 1811.
(2) Sarah "Sallie" Gilbert (1774-c.1818), married Joseph Ewing in 1811.
(3) Thomas Gilbert (1786-1863), married Mary "Polly" Sinclair in 1809.
(4) Priscilla Gilbert (b. 1788 or 1793), married (1st) Isaac Milner in 1811, married (2nd) George Sinclair in 1821. [The bible page shown on Hannah's memorial has a 1793 date of birth for Priscilla.] Surely she is the woman indexed by HeritageQuest in the 1850 Federal Census, Union Twp, Highland Co, OH, as "Presilla Stclair," age 58, born VA, w/ children Abner, 21, and Ruth, 16. In HeritageQuest, she is still in Highland Co in 1860, listed as "Prissella" Sinclair, age 57, and in 1870, as Priscilla Sinclair, age 74, but she is not found in McBrides' cemetery book, 1972 edition.
(5) Mary "Polly" Gilbert (1789-1854), married William Sinclair in 1808.
(6) Hannah Gilbert (1791-1871), married 1st John Wright in 1809, married 2nd Samuel Coffin in 1838 in Highland Co, OH.
(7) Elizabeth "Betsey"/"Betsy" Gilbert (b. 1797), married the same Joseph Ewing mentioned above in 1819.
(8) Robert Gilbert (born 1799), married Tacy Shaw in 1824. Robert and Tacy/Tacey/Tasey were still alive in the 1880 census. As of 9-25-13, there are Find A Grave memorials for both Robert Gilbert and Tacy Gilbert, but their memorials say they died in the 1860. Surely they are the couple who died after the 1880 census.
(9) Ann Marsh Gilbert (b. 1801), married Joseph Stackhouse in 1822. They, both age 49, were in the 1850 Federal Census in East Twp, Carroll Co, OH, w/ son Davis, 25, and dau Alice, 9. They had a son, William D Stackhouse, buried in Carroll Co.
(10) Rebecca Gilbert (b. 1804), married Samuel Marsh in 1823.
John Wright (1786 - 1822)*
Samuel Coffin (1781 - 1861)*
Ann Wright (1810 - 1871)*
Joseph Wright (1812 - 1907)*
David Wright (1815 - 1883)*
Jonathan Wright (1817 - 1900)*
Rebecca Wright (1820 - 1840)*
Created by: Jay Wright
Record added: Feb 28, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 85930439