|Birth: ||Mar. 2, 1744|
|Death: ||Dec. 2, 1814|
Hannah died on December 2, 1814, at the age of 71, and John died on December 1, 1816, at the age of 75. A series of deeds from his heirs, disposed of much of the land granted to him by the Commonwealth. He and Hannah are buried in the Armstrong Cemetery, 3 miles east of Carmichaels, PA.
Excerpt from "The Tenmile County and It's Pioneer Families" by Howard Lecky
There were 3 known sons of Dr. John Moore (all listed below) and believed to be 5 daughters.
From: "Jim Armstrong"
Subject: Re: [ARMSTRONG-L] Armstrongs of Greene County, Pennsylvania
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:39:10 -0600
Armstrong, Graveyard Near Stringtown, Pa., Greene County - Cumberland Township
References: The Tenmile Country and Its Pioneer Families by Howard L. Lackey, May 1950
Published by Waynesburg Republican Newspaper date February 18, 1953
The old Armstrong graveyard still has a number of legible markers (1950) including the following:
1. John Armstrong, died July 220 1822; aged 86 years.
2. Mary Armstrong his wife died April 22, 1814, aged 74 years,
3. William Russell died March 23, 1819; aged 93 years. (Father of Elizabeth Russell Moore Armstrong).
4. Elizabeth Russell, his wife died March 26, 1807,
5. William Armstrong died December 20, 1861; aged 81 years,
6. Elizabeth Armstrong his wife died December 15, 1864; aged 88 Years.
(She was Elizabeth Russell who had married John Moore, who died about 1800).
7. Nancy Scott, daughter of Abraham & Mary Ann Scott, died May 25, 1840; aged 24 years, 11 mo., 25 days.
8. Mary Scott, died November 21, 1818, aged 72 years (Widow of Capt. Abraham Scott?). 10-14-75 added; wife of A. Scott.
9. Nancy Scott, gravestone obliterated, but has a 1786 date cut on it. Added 10-14-75 departed 1811.
10. Dr. John Moore, died Dec. 2, 1816; aged 71 Years.
On October 14 1975 the following gravestones were readable 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (departed 1811).
11. Added: Joseph Scott, son of William departed this life Sept. 2, 1814 in the 2nd Year of his age.
The graveyard is located 3/4 mile north of on the "Stringtown" Road. The graves are on the east side up to the top of a hill on the present Kerr farm property at the corner of the field. Gravestones 5 & 6 (double marker) are only one standing and is in good condition. This all changed after the Kerr family bought the property, as of Dec 2001, when I was personally there, all makers were standing, thanks to Mrs. Kerr and her sons, who also keep the area mowed.
Also, 5th GGrandson of John Armstrong
John Moore (1745 - 1816)
John Moore (1770 - ____)*
Armstrong Moore (1775 - 1843)*
Anthony Moore (1782 - 1832)*
Sarah Moore (1785 - 1855)*
Martha Mahala Moore Dollison (1800 - 1868)*
Created by: Stephen Moore
Record added: May 19, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 70073619
Jamie Lynn Munn
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.