|Birth: ||Nov., 1837|
|Death: ||Jan. 9, 1896|
Henry Guerth/Gürth (died 9 Jan 1896, at 59 years, 3 months) may have been the son of Johanna (?) Guerth (c.1804/05 - Feb 1882). Johanna is buried in Western Cemetery in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Henry married Caroline (Struth) Guerth ["Lena"] (died 12 Jan 1887, at 44 years, 2 months 21 days) on 24 Dec 1865 in Baltimore City, Maryland.
In the 1864 Baltimore City Directory, Henry Guerth lived at 179 Lexington Street and was working as a "cigar maker."
In the 1865-66 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 115 North Howard Street and was still working as a "cigar maker."
In the 1867-68 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 40 West Fayette Street and was "working in a restaurant."
In the 1869-70 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 74 North Gay Street and "working with lager beer."
In the 1870 U.S. Census, Henry and Lena lived in the 9th Ward of Baltimore City, MD, and he was "working in a lager beer saloon." Lena's mother, Eliza, was living with them.
In the 1875-80 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 12 South Frederick Street and was "working with beer."
In the 1880 U.S. Census, Henry and Lena were still living at 12 Frederick Street in the 9th Ward of Baltimore City, and he was "working at a restaurant."
In the 1885 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 212 West Pratt Street, and he was "working at a saloon."
In the 1890 Baltimore City Directory, Henry was living at 14 West Pratt Street and was still "working at a saloon."
In the 1894 Baltimore City Directory, Henry and his son, Otto Hugo Guerth, were working as "paperhangers" as H. Guerth & Son.
Henry Guerth was a witness when his son, Otto Hugo Guerth, married in 1891.
Henry's second wife was probably Clementine (?) Guerth as his death certificate says he was married. Clementine Guerth was a witness to the baptism of Henry's granddaughter, Caroline Maria Clementine Guerth, on 22 Aug 1892.
Baltimore Sun, 11 Jan 1896 -
"On January 9, HENRY GUERTH, aged 59 years. Funeral from his late residence, No. 320 South Sharp street, Sunday, at 2 P.M. [Omit flowers]"
In the 1899 Baltimore City Directory, Clementine and several of Henry's sons lived at 320 South Sharp Street in Baltimore City, and she was a "milliner."
In the 1900 U.S. Census, Clementine Guerth (born Oct 1848) was a widow and she lived in Washington, DC. In the 1910 U.S. Census, Clementine Guerth lived in Philadelphia, PA, with her daughter and son-in-law, Robert and Martha Tees.
On 18 May 1883, Henry Guerth purchased Lots #39 and #53 in Area F of Baltimore Cemetery Company. The lots were paid for by Joseph Gerbrick. For some reason, Henry's death certificate says he was buried in Loudon Park Cemetery on 12 Jan 1896, but family records show he is buried in Baltimore Cemetery.
Other people buried in Lots #39 and #53 are:
1) James E. Gerbrick (died 1851).
2) Martha E. Gerbrick (died 1858)
3) Francis A. Gerbrick (died 1863)
4) John W. Gerbrick (died 1862)
5) Gerbrick ‘Child' (died 1870)
6) P. Franz Goth (died 1883)
7) Nathaniel C. Fuchs (died 1903).
8) Emma Fuchs (died 1891).
9) Paul Fuchs (died 1891).
Henry Guerth and Lena were also the parents of:
1) William Charles Guerth (Oct 1866 - 3 Dec 1930) is buried in Hillside Memorial Park, Redlands, San Bernardino County, California.
2) Henry A. Guerth (17 Nov 1869/70 - 24 June 1951) is buried in Laurel Cemetery, Cochecton Center, Sullivan County, New York.
3) Herman J. Guerth (born Oct 1871) married Marie (Trowe) Guerth (born Feb 1872). She was the daughter of Charles H. Trowe and Wilhelmina (Guerth) Trowe ["Minna"]. Herman and Marie were first cousins.
4) Mary Ann Guerth (born 21 Mar 1879). It is possible her name was Marion instead of Mary Ann.
5) Samuel C. Guerth was born after the 1880 U.S. Census. He is listed in the 1899 Baltimore City Directory as living with his step-mother, Clementine, and some of his brothers.
Caroline Struth Guerth (1843 - 1887)
Otto Hugo Guerth (1867 - 1946)*
Edward S. Guerth (1873 - 1954)*
Frederick W. Guerth (1875 - 1945)*
Septimus C. Guerth (1877 - 1906)*
Minnie Guerth (1884 - 1955)*
Plot: Area F, Lot #53, plot #2
Created by: cmyers
Record added: Oct 06, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 59685040
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.