|Birth: ||Sep. 8, 1946|
|Death: ||Jan. 15, 2004|
Duane served in Charlie Battery, 1st Battallion, 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, Republic of South Vietnam 1966-1967. Duane was a forward observer assigned to Mike Company 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. He received the Bronze Star Medal for actions against the North Vietnamese Army.
In 1966 he was in Da Nang, and 1967 he went north to Quang Tri Providence, better know as Leatherneck Square.
Duane joined the Marines 28 September 1964 and was honorable discharged 13 August 1971 rank E-6 Staff Sergeant.
Dedicated to Duane Goodridge:
Duane E. Goodridge was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, serving in Vietnam. He was the holder of the Bronze Star with combat "V," the Purple Heart, and two Presidential Unit Citations. He served on the Ohio Veterans Home Board of Trustees from July 1, 1993 to November 1. 2000, when he resigned due to failing health. He was Board Chairman from July 1, 1999 until his resignation in 2000.
He was Ohio Chairman of the Vietnam Veterans of America and President of the Vietnam Veterans Leadership program. He was inducted into the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame in 1999, being recognized for his community service: namely, co-founder of the Forgotten Children Project which provides toys for the retarded youth, co-chair of Operation Feed Campaign for the City of Columbus, and a member of Operation Friendship for Franklin County Children's Services.
In 1987, he was the first Vietnam veteran to earn the City of Columbus Mayor's Award of Excellence. He also received the Accent on Youth award from the Columbus Dispatch. A
graduate of Capital University, he was an accomplished poet and writer. One of his books highlighting the achievements of the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame recipients was sold in OVH gift shops.
Duane E. Goodridge will long be remembered as a staunch supporter of not only the Ohio Veterans Home, but also the entire veteran community. On January 15, Duane E.
Goodridge, age 57, passed away at his residence following a lengthy illness.
United States Marine Corps Veteran
• Manager, Southwesterly Compost Facility, City of Columbus
• Gave professional papers at locations around the states
• Hosted dignitaries from over 20 foreign countries
• Leading expert on composting in the United States
• Mayor's Award for Excellence (Christopher Columbus Award)
• Systems Operator of the Military Forum on CompuServe (Internet)
• Co-founded Forgotten Children Project which provides toys for retarded youth
• Member, Operation Friendship for Franklin County Children's Services
• Co-chair of Operation Feed Campaign for the City of Columbus
• Accent on You award from the Columbus Dispatch
Betty M. Goodridge (1925 - 1979)
Franklin Hills Memory Gardens
Maintained by: Ed Elstan
Originally Created by: Pennsylvania Lady
Record added: Dec 09, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 62720010