|Birth: ||May 22, 1832|
|Death: ||Jan. 3, 1913|
This is my gr. gr. grandfather. He is the same for many, many others due to the large number of descendants. AAM III
Father: John DOWNING b. in Pennsylvania
Mother: Mary (Unknown Maiden Name) DOWNING b. in Ohio
Military: Company A, 22 Indiana Infantry, Sargent - 1st Leut at Discharge
Listed in 1883 Disabled Veterans - Bourbon, Marshall County, Indiana - Gunshot wound / head - $6 per month payment. Civil War Pension No. 268362
He married Sarah Jane CASSELL ( b. 25 DEC 1832 in College Corner -Oxford Township, Butler County, Ohio d. 25 SEP 1901 in Bourbon, Marshall County, Indiana) on 1 JUL 1852 in Stout's Mill - Brownstown, Jackson County, Indiana.
1. Angeline Belle DOWNING b. 29 JAN 1853 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
2. Mary Catherine DOWNING HARRIS KESSLER b. 28 JAN 1855 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
3. John Timothy DOWNING b. 26 MAR 1857 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
4. Medora "Dora" Lavenia DOWNING SUTFIN b. 28 DEC 1859 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
5. Emma Jane DOWNING PARISH b. 17 DEC 1861 in Sandcreek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana
6. Tamar "Tama" Lydia DOWNING COMPTON DEARDORFF b. 2 JUL 1866 in Jennings County, Indiana
7. Morton Elias DOWNING b. 12 JAN 1868 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
8. Rachel Josephine DOWNING BAUGHER b. 14 OCT 1869 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
9. Joseph Terrell DOWNING b. 25 APR 1872 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
10. Julia Lectania Frances DOWNING b. 13 JUN 1874 in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana
Obituary - Source: Bourbon News - Mirror / Bourbon, Marshall County, Indiana / 9 JAN 1913 / page 4
WELL KNOWN CITIZEN AND SOLDIER RESPONDS TO "LIGHTS OUT" BURIED TUESDAY
After but a short illness, due to pneumonia, Captain Downing died at the home of his son-in-law, Phillip Baugher, and wife, Friday evening and the remains were laid to rest Tuesday, after a funeral service at the home, conducted by Rev. Rittenhouse, and exercises at the grave by Masons. The following obituary tells of the life of the deceased and was read by the minister:
Don Elias Downing was born May, 22, 1832 in Moscow, Ohio. At the age of eighteen he came with his mother to Jennings County, Indiana.
In 1851 he was united in marriage to Sarah Jane Cassell. To this union was born eleven children. The wife and five children, two sons and three daughters, preceeded him to the spirit world. Those surviving are six children: Mary C. Harris, Azalia, Indiana; Emily J. Parish, Rector, Arkansas; Tamar L. Compton, Keokuk, Iowa; Morton E. Downing, Hooker, Oklahoma; R. Josephine Deardorff, Pullman, Illinois; Julia L. F. Baugher, Bourbon, fifteen grandchildren, seven great-grand-children.
In July 1861 he enlisted in Company G, 22nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry. At the expiration of three years he re-enlisted and served to the close of the war. Was one of the boys who marched with General Sherman to the sea.
In 1865 he was united with the Christian church of Elizabethtown, Indiana.
He joined the Masonic order in early life and remained a faithful member until the day of his death.
He came with his family to northern Indiania in 1880 and located in Bourbon. He remained in Bourbon until 1905 when he entered the National Military Home, of Grant County, Indiana.
Those from a distance who were here to attend the funeral were: Mort Downing, son of the deceased, and his family, of Hooker, Oklahoma; Mrs. Tamer Compton of Keokuk, Iowa, and Mrs. L. T. Deardorff, of Pullman, and Mearl Baugher of Michigan City.
Don Elias DOWNING is Gr. Gr. Grandfather to Arthur Allen MOORE III
Sarah Jane Cassell Downing (1833 - 1901)*
Mary Catherine Downing Kessler (1855 - 1940)*
John Timothy Downing (1857 - 1860)*
Medora Lavenia Downing Sutphin (1859 - 1890)*
Emma Jane Downing Parish (1861 - 1931)*
Tamar Lydia Downing Compton (1866 - 1933)*
Morton Elias Downing (1868 - 1939)*
Created by: Arthur Allen "Art" Moore...
Record added: Feb 14, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 13347535