|Birth: ||Jun. 8, 1617|
|Death: ||Dec. 10, 1682|
Jonathan Gilbert, third child and 2nd son of Thomas Gilbert and Elizabeth Bennett, both late of Wethersfield, Conn., bapt. June 8, 1617 at Yardley, Worcester, England. He is the brother of Thomas of Springfield, Mass.; Corp. John of Hartford; Josiah of Wethersfield; and Obadiah of Fairfield, Conn. He held the rank of Cornet (bugler) in the local militia, a rank that followed him to his grave.
On Apr. 9, 1646, Jonathan was appointed by the Conn. Gen. Court to replace Thomas Stanton as interpreter to the Native Indians then inhabiting Connecticut.
In 1653, Jonathan was given permission to build a warehouse at the little meadow landing where trade traffic took place. The same year he was given a special warrant by the court to arrest Thomas Baxter & to raise a force necessary to carry out the warrant. On Apr. 9, 1657, he was assigned as interpreter with his brother John and the deputies from Windsor to tell the Indian sachem of the Narragansett Indians, Ninegrate, that he was to turn in those Indians who took part in the "bloody act performed at Farmington." In 1660, the Court appointed John Allyn & Jonathan Gilbert to "bound out" the Indian, Tanton (Tantonimo). He was a Trooper under Capt. Richard Lord, Corp. Samuel Marshall, and Quarter Master Thomas Welles, Jr.
Jonathan is on the 1669 list of freemen of Hartford who were residing north of the Little River. He held multiple offices in the Connecticut Colony, including in 1659 being the first Collector of Customs at Hartford, Marshall (High Sheriff) of the colony, and was licensed in 1662 to keep an inn at his home at Hartford for the comfort of travelers. Following his death his widow Mary continued operation of their inn at Hartford until her own death in 1700. In 1671, the Court granted Jonathan 300 acres of upland and 50 acres of meadow.
Jonathan d. testate at Hartford Dec. 19, 1682. In his will dated Sept. 10, 1674, he names his wife Mary, ten living children plus three grandsons John Rossiter, Andrew Belcher, and Jonathan Richardson. In addition to the land granted him, he purchased land throughout the Conn. colony which he bequeathed to his sons. He made his wife Mary sole executrix and appointed his brother, John Gilbert, Capt. John Allyn, and Sgt. Caleb Stanly (Stanley) as overseers. His inventory dated Feb. 12, 1682/3 totaled £2,484.17s.9d of which £1,213 was real estate.
Jonathan Gilbert m. 1) Jan. 20, 1645/6 at Hartford, Mary White, daughter of John White and Mary Levitt. They were parents of two children of record: Jonathan and Mary. Wife Mary d. by early 1650 and Jonathan m. 2) by late 1650, Mary Welles of Wethersfield, daughter of Thomas Welles and Frances Albright, and step-dau. of Thomas Coleman of Wethersfield, Conn. She was b. circa 1626-27 and bapt. June 30, 1630 at Evesham, Worcester, England.
The children of Jonathan Gilbert and 1st wife Mary White recorded at Hartford, Conn. are:
• i. Jonathan Gilbert, Jr., b. May 11, 1648, d. Feb. 1, 1697/8 at Middletown, Conn.; m. June 22, 1679 at Middletown, Dorothy Stow, dau. of Rev. Samuel Stow and Hope Fletcher, b. Aug. 1, 1659 at Middletown where she d. July 4, 1698. Nine children of the family.
• ii. Mary Gilbert, b. Dec 15 (bp Dec. 17), 1649; m. 1) John Rositer and 2) Samuel Holton.
The children of Jonathan Gilbert and 2nd wife Mary Welles, recorded or known to have been b. at Hartford, are:
• iii. Sarah Gilbert, b. July 25, 1651, d. Jan. 26, 1688/9 at Boston, Mass.; m. July 1, 1670 at Hartford, Andrew Belcher, Jr., s. of Andrew Belcher and Elizabeth Danforth, who d. Oct. 31, 1717 at Boston. Seven children of the family at Boston, including 2nd son Jonathan Belcher (1681-1747), Gov. of the Province of New Jersey and founder of Princeton University.
• iv. Lydia Gilbert, b. Oct. 3, 1654; m. 1) bef. Sept. 1673, Stephen Richardson, s. of Amos Richardson and Mary Smith, b. June 14 (bp June 20), 1652 at Boston, Mass. He d. testate at Stonington, Conn. bef. Aug. 10, 1696, when Lydia was appointed administratrix of his estate. She m. 2) bef. May 23, 1700 as his 3rd wife, Capt. John Chapman of Haddam, Conn. where Lydia likely d. after Apr. 8, 1712. Nine children of the Richardson family.
• v. Thomas Gilbert, b. circa Aug. 1658, d. Feb. 9, 1708/9 at Boston, Mass.; m. 1) Nov. 26, 1690, Lydia Ballard, m. 2) Sept. 24, 1708 at Boston the widow Mary (Lilly) Trowbridge. Seven children by first wife Lydia.
• vi. Nathaniel Gilbert, b. circa Feb. 1660, resided at Meriden, Conn. and reportedly d. unmarried after 1674.
• vii. Esther (q.v. Hester) Gilbert, b. Apr. 27, 1662; m. Charles Dickinson.
• viii. Capt. Samuel Gilbert, b. Aug. 5, 1664, d. Aug. 5, 1733 at Lyme, Conn.; m. Oct. 2, 1684 at Hartford, Mary Rogers, dau. Samuel Rogers and Mary Stanton, b. Apr. 17, 1667 at New London, Conn. She d. Sept. 30, 1756. Eleven children of the family.
• ix. Rachel Gilbert, b. in July 1668, d. Nov. 13, 1754 at Hartford; m. Sept. 22, 1686 at Hartford, Josiah Marshfield, s. Samuel Marshfield and Catherine Chapin, b. Sept. 29, 1665 at Springfield, Conn. He d. June 15, 1712 at Hartford.
• x. Ebenezer Gilbert, b. circa 1670, d. Aug. 11, 1736 at Farmington, Conn.; m. Esther Allyn, dau. of Thomas Allen and Abigail Warham, b. Jan. 29, 1676[/7?] at Windsor, Conn. She d. Oct. 4, 1750 at Farmington. Seven children of the family.
Thomas Gilbert (1582 - 1659)
Elizabeth Bennett Gilbert
Mara/Mary White Gilbert (1626 - 1650)
Mary Welles Gilbert (1627 - 1700)
Jonathan Gilbert (1648 - 1698)*
Lydia Gilbert Chapman (1654 - ____)*
Samuel Gilbert (1664 - 1733)*
Ebenezer Gilbert (1666 - 1736)*
Thomas Gilbert (1611 - 1662)*
Jonathan Gilbert (1617 - 1682)
John Gilbert (1620 - 1690)*
Here Lyeth the
Body of Cornet Jo
Who Deceased the
10th of December 1682
in the 64th Year of
Per his gravestone, on the day Jonathan died he was 63 years old, and "Ætatis suæ" (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 64. However, this does not correspond with his reported date of baptism in 1617, unless the latter year was transcribed incorrectly and should be 1619.
Ancient Burying Ground
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Judith
Record added: Jul 28, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 11435753