|Birth: ||Sep. 2, 1826|
|Death: ||May 23, 1894|
MARY STERETT GITTINGS-BRYARLY was born on 2 September 1826 at St. Johns Parish (Protestant Episcopal), Joppa, Harford County, Maryland to MD David S. Gittings & Juliana West Howard-Gittings.
Mary married Wakeman Bryarly, Jr on 5 September 1855. The book written about his Gold Rush adventures states they were married at Grace Church in Baltimore, Maryland, and "Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970" states they were married in 1855 at St. Johns Parish Protestant Episcopal Church in Joppa, Harford County, Maryland. They did not have children.
Mary died at her home "Roslin" near Upper Falls, Baltimore County, Maryland on Wednesday, 23 May 1894, and she was buried at Green Mount Cemetery in present day Baltimore City, Maryland.
1. 16 October 1850 1st District, Baltimore County, Maryland Census, (Stamped 119A, Family #1617, Line 18), Parent's Household, David S. & Step-Mother: Arabella Gittings.
3. 9 July 1870 Little Gunpowder Post Office, District 11, Baltimore County, Maryland Census, (Stamped 637B, Sheet 24, Family #166, Line 17), Brother's Household, David Gittings. (Misspelled "Birely" should be Bryarly).
4. 5 June 1880 District 11, Baltimore County, Maryland Census, (ED: 257, Stamped 396D, Sheet 12, Family #108, Line 21), Head of Household, Mary "Bigley." (NOTE: Misindexed as "Bigley" should be Bryarly).
5. Potter, David Morris (Editor), 1945, "Trail to California: The Overland Journal of Vincent Geiger and Wakeman Bryarly," New Haven Yale University Press: USA, pp. 1-245.
Maryland physician and gentleman farmer, David Sterett Gittings was the father of Miss Mary Sterett Gittings.
Wakeman Bryarly & Mary Sterett Gittings were married on 05 Sep 1855 at Grace Church in Baltimore, Maryland.
Sources listed in the book state their marriage license is held at Baltimore County Circuit Court, Towson, Maryland; the 14 Septemper 1855 issues of the "Baltimore American" & the "Commercial Daily Advertiser."
6. Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995:
Mary Sterett Gittings
Born: 2 September 1826.
Birthplace: St. Johns Parish Protestant Episcopal, Joppa, Harford, Maryland.
Baptism/Christening Date: 6 March 1827.
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Johns Parish, Joppa, Harford County, Maryland.
Father: David S. Gittings.
Mother: Julianna West.
7. Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970:
Marriage Date: 1855.
Marriage Place: St. Johns Parish Protestant Episcopal Church in Joppa, Harford County, Maryland.
Groom's Name: Wakeman Bryarty.
Bride's Name: Mary Sterett Gittings.
Bride's Father's Name: David S. Gittings.
8. Obituary, Thursday, 24 May 1894, The Sun, Baltimore County, Maryland, Vol. CXV, Issue 7, Page 8.
9. Funeral Notice: Saturday, 26 May 1894, The Sun, Baltimore County, Maryland, Vol. CXV, Issue 9, Page 10.
David Sterett Gittings (1797 - 1872)
Juliana West Howard Gittings
Wakeman Bryarly (1820 - 1869)
Mary Sterett Gittings Bryarly (1826 - 1894)
Margaret West Gittings (1828 - 1878)*
David S. Gittings (1835 - 1890)*
John Beal Howard Gittings (1837 - 1905)*
Charlotte Elizabeth Gittings Lindsay (1842 - 1933)*
Green Mount Cemetery
Plot: Area: Outline #4, Lot: 40
Created by: Mark Morrow
Record added: Jul 05, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 93108487