Actions
Begin New Search
Refine Last Search
Cemetery Lookup
Add Burial Records
Help with Find A Grave

Top Contributors
Success Stories
Community Forums
Find A Grave Store

Log In
Sponsor This Memorial! Advertisement
Albert B. White
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Birth: Dec., 1892
Brooklyn
Kings County (Brooklyn)
New York, USA
Death: unknown
New York, USA

According to the 1900 census Albert B. White was born in Kings Co. the borough of Brooklyn, New York. His father was Paul White born in 1856 and his mother was Jakobina White born in 1860, both in Austria, Germany. (Original last name was Bleiweiss) Paul immigrated to America in 1885 and Jakobina immigrated in 1883. They were married in 1888. They had 5 children 4 living; Pauline 1889, Bertha 1891 and William 1896. Paul was a butcher and they lived on Ralph Ave.
Al was a comedian in vaudeville and for a time he worked with Harry Kranz under the name Harry Kranz & White. From the early 1880s until the early 1930s Vaudeville was a theatrical genre of variety entertainment. Performances would generally consist of separate, unrelated acts grouped together. Musicians, comedians, magicians, dancers, acrobats and trained animals often came together to delight audiences everywhere. According to Variety, 8 Feb 1923, "The receipts of the "20th Century Review" were attached at the State, Cleveland, Feb 1, by Al White (White & Kranz) as the treasurer of Betty Amusement Co of Chicago, 60 % owner of the unit. The other 40 % is held by Kranz & White and the Four Marx Brothers equally." Indianapolis Mar 7-15. "Minutes before the curtain was scheduled to go up at the Murat, Sat. evening a deputy sheriff arrived and attached the box office, scenery and costumes of "The 20th Century Review". Harry Kranz & Al B. White, former comedians with the show, filed a law suit for $1,490.00 in alleged back pay." June 12-18 Kranz & White (The Great Rathskeller Artists) appeared with Will Rogers.
In the History of the Boyd Theater: Bethlehem, the theater reopened as the Colonial on December 13, 1924 The opening featured cross-eyed comic Ben Turpin in the film "TEN DOLLARS OR TEN DAYS". Vaudeville acts included "University of Pittsburg Peacock Alley Orchestra", a novelty dance troupe called "Denno Sisters - Tom Thibault", the comedy juggling and balancing act of "Jack LaVier", "Harry Kranz and White".
Kranz and White were both members of Buster Keaton's Actor's Colony at Bluffton, Muskegon, Michigan which ran from 1908-1930.
Sometime before 1920 he married Myrtle Young from NJ, also a vaudeville performer, and were living in Nassau Co., NY. By 1930 Albert and Myrtle had two children of their own; Mary Jane 13 May 1922 NY and Barbara J. 1928 NY. They were still living in Freeport, Nassau NY.
In 1939 Al opened a restaurant-club in Freeport, NY which he nicknamed The Town Lodge but everyone else called Al B. White's place.
From an article about "Lennie Tristano Trio. Lennie Baur recalls, someone says to him, "Look I got the guy coming from Chicago and I want you and him and Arnold Franklin to open at this place in Freeport. It was quite a steady job. It was a little restaurant owned by ex-vaudeville friend of Chubby Jackson, Al White. Al B. White's place was remembered by long time residents and vaudeville performers as a place where movie star's like Marilyn Monroe came to unwind and was the most popular place around. Here, new dances of the times like Lindy Hop and Suzie Q and Peckin' could be learned. Mr. Al B. White was an incredible entertainer and host; he was an extremely successful Vaudevillian. Al B White would hold nightly dance contests for patrons and although he was owner, he sang to his guests all the time. At seventy years old, he could still move you with a ballad. It has been re-opened as the Retro Lounge.
 
 
Family links: 
 Spouse:
  Myrtle E. Young White (1891 - 1974)
 
 Children:
  Mary Jane White (1922 - 2009)*
 
*Calculated relationship
 
Burial:
Unknown
 
Created by: Mary Jane (Young) Evertz
Record added: Dec 04, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 81521212
Albert B. White
Added by: Mary Jane (Young) Evertz
 
Albert B. White
Added by: Mary Jane (Young) Evertz
 
 
Photos may be scaled.
Click on image for full size.

 
 
 Advertisement

Privacy Statement and Terms of Service