|Birth: ||unknown, England|
|Death: ||Dec. 3, 1700|
Samuel Bissell, s. of John Bissell and his unnamed first wife, b. on an unknown date, prob. in England. He d. testate at Windsor, Conn. Dec. 3, 1700. His age at death is not stated in the record.
On June 11, 1658 at Windsor, Conn., Samuel m. 1) Abigail Holcomb, dau. of Thomas Holcomb and his wife Elizabeth, bapt. of record at Windsor, Conn. Jan. 6, 1638/9. She d. Aug. 17, 1688 at Windsor, Conn.
At an unknown date after Aug. 1688, Samuel m. 2) Mary Buell, d. of William Buell and Mary Post, and widow of Simon Mills, who d. intestate at Windsor July 6, 1683. Mary was b. Sept. 3, 1642 at Windsor, had ten children by her first husband, and d. at Windsor June 24, 1718, Æ 78. There were no children by Samuel and Mary's second marriage.
Samuel Bissell's estate, abstracted by Manwaring in his "Digest of Early Connecticut Probate Records," vol. II, p. 21-2, citing Probate vol. VII, pages 8-11, follows:
• Samuel Bissell, Sen. of Windsor. Died Dec. 3, 1700. Invt £495-03-07 taken Dec. 9, 1700 by John Moore, Sen., Matthew Allyn and Benajah Holcomb. Will dated Aug. 2, 1697:
• I Samuel Bissell, Sen., of Windsor, doe make this my last will and testament.
• I give to my son Samuel £140 besides that land which I have already given him, on which his house standeth, which is about 6 acres.
• Item. I give to my two daughters, Abigaile and Mary, which are already marryed, £20 to each beside what they have already had.
• Item. I give to my three younger daughters, Elizabeth, Deborah and Hannah, £75 apiece. All wch legacies my will is that it shall be and remain to my children above named, to them and their heirs forever.
• Item. I give to my son Joshua all that meadow land at Simsbury, wch belongs to me, wch I bought of Mr. Stone and Jonathan Gillett (17 acres), excepting two acres which my son Jacob did improve in his life, which sd. two acres I give to my grandson Jacob Bissell, son of Jacob Bissell decd., if he live to the age of 21 years. In case he do not survive to that age, my son Joshua shall have it. Also, two acres of upland on ye north side of the brooke known by the name of Bissell's Brooke, at Simsbury, I give to my son Joshua.
• I give to my grandson John Bissell, son of John Bissell decd., £5; and £2-10 to my granddaughter Abigaile Bissell.
• I give to my grandson Jacob Bissell my dwelling house at Simsbury.
• I give to my wife Mary 20 shillings in silver money, and for security of the payment of the £5 per annum which I engaged to pay her while she remained my widow, I make over 10 acres of my meadow land at the south end known as the Great Meadow.
• I nominate my son Samuel to be executor, and desire John Moore, Lt. John Higley, Matthew Allyn and Michael Taintor to be my overseers.
John Moore, Sen.,..SAMUEL BISSELL, Sen., Ls.
John Higley, Sen.
• The wise disposeing providence of God having made a breach in my family by bereaveing of the son of my hope, whom I had nominated executor, has given me occasion to add this my codicil: The estate that I had devised to my son Samuel (who is deceased) shall, after my decease, be equally divided amongst my five daughters.
• I appoint my sonn-in-law, James Enno, executor, and supervisors as above. April 23, 1698.
Daniel Clarke,.....SAMLL BISSELL, Senr., LS.
• A codicil, dated Nov. 25, 1700: The testator nominates his son-in-law John Pettebone, Jr., joint executor with James Enno; and to issue any differences that may arise in the division of the estate, he appoints his brother Benajah Holcomb and John Moore, Sen.
• Court Record, Page 4--Dec. 16, 1700: James Enno, of Windsor, and John Pettebone exhibit the last will of their father-in-law, Samuel Bissell, of the same Windsor, deceased. Will proven by the witnesses.
Samuel Bissell and Abigail Holcomb had the following ten children b. of record at Windsor, Conn.:
• i. John Bissell, b. Apr. 5, 1659 (bp. Nov. 27, 1659), d. before Jan. 27, 1684/5 (date of his estate inv.); m. Aug. 26, 1680, Abigail Filley, dau. of William, b. Aug. 21, 1658 at Windsor, Conn. Two children of the family. The widow Abigail m. 2) Oct. 20, 1685 at Windsor, Samuel Tudor, s. Owen Tudor and Mary Loomis, and had 7 additional children.
• ii. Abigail Bissell, b. July 6, 1661, d. testate either at Simsbury or Windsor, Conn. in April 1728, Æ 67; m. Dec. 26, 1678 at Windsor, her mother's step-brother, James Eno, Jr., s. of James Eno, Sr. and his first wife Anna, b. Oct 30, 1651 at Windsor. He d. testate July 16, 1714 at Windsor, Æ 63. Nine children of the family.
• iii. Jacob Bissell, b. Mar. 28, 1664, d. intestate at Windsor Aug. 1, 1694, Æ 31; m. a woman named Mary, whose full identity remains unknown, and had a namesake son Jacob. The widow Mary Bissell m. 2) Peter Buell of Windsor.
• iv. Mary Bissell, b. Sept. 15, 1666 and was living on Dec. 31, 1740; m. Dec. 18, 1690 at Windsor, John Pettibone, Jr., s. of John Pettibone and Sarah Eggleston, b. Dec. 15, 1665 at Windsor. He d. Sept. 18, 1741 at Simsbury, Conn., Æ 76. Five children are named in his will dated Feb. 8, 1733/4.
• v. Samuel Bissell, Jr., b. Jan. 11, 1668/9, d. intestate at Windsor on Mar 4, 1697/8, Æ 30; m. an unknown Mary and had no known children.
• vi. Benajah Bissell, b. June 30, 1671; he is not included in his father's 1697 will.
• vii. Joshua Bissell, b. circa 1673; received considerable property in his father's will of Aug. 2, 1697, but no current information known about him.
• viii. Elizabeth Bissell, b. circa 1677; named the first of "my three youngest daughters" in her father's will of Aug. 2, 1697. No further record known.
• ix. Deborah Bissell, b. Oct. 29, 1679, the second named of "my three youngest daughters" in her father's will of Aug. 2, 1697, d. circa 1739; m. Mar. 24, 1702/3 at Windsor, Stephen Pettibone, bro. of John who m. Deborah's sister Mary, b. Oct. 3, 1669. He d. in Nov. 1750.
• ix. Hannah Bissell, b. Sept. 18, 1682; the third named of "my three youngest daughters" in her father's will of Aug. 2, 1697, d. at Hebron, Conn. Feb 24, 1717/8, Æ 36; m. Mar. 28, 1699 at Hebron as his first wife, Capt. Nathaniel Phelps, s. of Capt. Timothy Phelps and Mary Griswold, b. Jan. 7, 1676/7 at Hebron. He d. at Hebron Sept. 23, 1746, Æ 70. Four children of the marriage.
John Bissell (1591 - 1677)
Abigail Holcomb Bissell (1639 - 1688)
Abigail Bissell Eno (1661 - 1728)*
John Bissell (____ - 1688)*
Samuel Bissell (____ - 1700)
Thomas Bissell (1630 - 1689)*
Mary Bissell Drake (1631 - 1689)*
Nathaniel Bissell (1640 - 1714)*
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Apr 14, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 51098382