|Birth: ||May 13, 1879|
|Death: ||May 5, 1944|
BARNEY COLUMBUS MARTIN 1879-1944
Barney Columbus Martin was born 13 Sept 1879 near Bemis, Lowndes Co., GA. He was the son of William Columbus and Isabelle (Peters) Martin. His paternal grandparents were John Martin and Mary (Ready?), both of whom died in Barnwell District, SC in 1848. His maternal grandparents were John Daniel and Adeline (Copeland) Peters, also of Barnwell Dist., SC and Naylor, Lowndes Co., GA. William C. Martin and Isabell Peters were married at Pine Grove, GA as this article from the Southern Christian Advocate, x 25 August 1864 states, "By the Rev. J.H. Wilkins, at [Pine] Grove, Georgia, 7 August, Mr. W.C. Martin to Ms. Isabella Peters, both of the same county."
B.C. Martin grew to manhood in the northeast region of Lowndes Co., GA on his father's farm in a very large family of brothers and sisters. On 13 Sept 1903, in Argyle, Clinch Co., GA, he married Alice Jane Booth. She was the daughter of Jesse Robert Booth and Lucretia Jane Smith. Alice Jane Booth was born 11 Feb 1876, and died 7 Apr 1967. She is buried in Oaklawn Cem., Jacksonville, FL with her husband.
B.C. and Alice Jane Martin had five children:
1. Ora Lee Martin, b. 28 Jun 1904, Argyle, Clinch Co., GA, d. 8 Sept 1987, Marietta, Cobb Co., GA. Bur. Atlanta, Fulton Co., GA. Mar. Drury Waller Wood 16 Apr 1922 in Nashville, Berrien Co., GA. He was b. 7 Feb 1898, Atlanta, GA, the son of Albert Sydney Johnston Wood and Laura Fitzhugh Thompson. Drury Wood served as an officer in both WWI and WWII. He died 30 Mar 1993 at the Veteran's Hospital, DeKalb Co., GA.
2. Hansford Columbus Martin, b.15 Nov 1906, Nashville, Berrien Co., GA, d. 20 Oct 1975, Tallahassee, Leon Co., FL. Mar. Verna Messer, b. 1915, d. 6 Oct 2003. Two daughters, Linda and Carolyn. H.C. Martin was Deputy Sheriff of Leon Co. FL, a Sergeant with the Tallahassee, FL Police Department and a Corporal in the U.S. Army during World War II. Both H.C. and Verna Martin are buried at Roselawn Cem., Tallahassee, FL.
3. George Washington Martin, b. 14 Jan 1908, Nashville, Berrien Co., GA, d. 11 Nov 1992, Jacksonville, Duval Co., FL. Mar. 15 Oct 1932 in Jacksonville, FL to Ruby Demery, dau. of Wm David Demery and Frances Victoria Meeks. One daughter, Jane Martin Warner. Both G.W. and Ruby Martin are bur. Jacksonville, Duval Co., FL.
4. Ola Wyllis Martin, b. 30 Nov 1914, Ocilla, Thomas Co., GA. Ola was almost three years old when her family moved from Ocilla, Ga. to Hastings, Fla. She graduated from High School there and attended the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. Married shortly after graduation to Jay Keller, on 12 May 1934 in Virginia. He was b. 1906 Weynoka, OK, d. 25 Apr 1991, Phoenix, AZ. They traveled the country together while Ola worked as a botanist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Ola Martin mar. 2. Lowell Sweeten, 2000, in Flagstaff, AZ. Ola is bur. in Citizens Cemetery, Flagstaff, Coconino Co., AZ.
5. Carl Hicks Martin, b. 4 Jun 1919, Hastings, St. Johns Co., FL, d. 9 Feb 1972, Jacksonville, Duval Co., FL of Lou Gehrig's disease. DSP. WWII Veteran, U.S. Army.
Florida Times-Union, 6 May 1944
Palatka, May 5 - Funeral services for Barney Columbus Martin, 65, native of Valdosta and resident of this section since 1917 where he engaged in farming, will be held tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the Southern Methodist Church in Hastings. He died this morning after a brief illness. Burial will be in Oaklawn Cemetery at Jacksonville, with Masonic Rites at the grave. Survivors include the widow, Mrs. Alice Jane Martin, two daughters Mrs. Drury Wood, Atlanta, and Mrs. J.C. Keller, Arlington, Va.; three sons, H.C. Martin, U.S. Army, Chicago, George W. Martin, Jacksonville, and Carl H. Martin, Palatka; four grandchildren, Lieut. Drury Wood, Green Cove Springs, Miss Mildred Wood and Fitzhugh Wood, Atlanta and Addie Keller, Arlington; four sisters, Mrs. G. Ratliff, Adele, Ga., Mrs. Ida Dixon, Blackshear, Ga., Mrs. Sallie Willis, Adele, Ga., and Mrs. A.R. Powell, of Greenville, and one brother, W.E. Martin, Sarasota. Prior to taking up farming here, Mr. Martin was connected with the Construction Department of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, Savannah-Thomasville Division, for 29 years. He was a member of Cassia Lodge 224 F&AM, Homerville, Ga., and for the past 27 years had been steward of Hastings Methodist Church. He was also a former chairman of the St. Johns Drainage District and a director of Florida Planters, Inc. of Hastings.
Florida Times-Union, Thursday, Feb. 10, 1972:
Carl H. Martin, of 6404 Orlando Circle S., died early today in a local hospital after a lengthy illness. He was born in Hastings, Fla. and had been a resident of Jacksonville for the past 28 years. He was a member of the Southside Methodist Church, and the Elks Lodge. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Drury Wood of Atlanta, Mrs. J.C. Keller of Phoenix, Ariz.; two brothers, H.C. Martin, of Tallahassee, and George W. Martin of Jacksonville. Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, at the gravesite of Oaklawn Cemetery, with the Rev. Monroe Hatch, officiating.
Nashville Herald, x 3 Mar 1905:
"Barney Martin of Argyle was in town yesterday and bought a farm from Gus Albritton, near town. The consideration was $600 cash."
Obituaries, The Arizona Republic, 27 April 2006:
Ola M. Keller-Sweeten, 91 of Flagstaff, passed away April 23, 2006. Born in Ocilla, Georgia, November 30, 1914, daughter of Barney and Alice Jane Martin. She married Jay Keller in 1934. Traveled across the country with her husband for the USDA, settling first in Virginia and finally in Arizona where she has resided since 1954. After the passing of Jay she married Lowell Sweeten in 2000. She loved the out doors, smelling flowers and listening and watch the birds. Longtime active member of the Arizona Federation of Garden Clubs and the Flagstaff Flower Arrangers. She was very outgoing and social with a gift for names. Her husband Lowell said: "She was a hell of a good woman." She is survived by her husband Lowell Sweeten, children Edward and Gerald, grandchildren Chris, Justin, Tom, Laura & Andrew, 1 great grandchild, Logan. A celebration of Ola's life will be held 2:00 PM Saturday, April 29, 2006 at the Norvel Owens Mortuary Chapel.
William Columbus Martin (1847 - 1900)
Isabella Elizabeth Peters Martin (1845 - 1929)
Alice Jane Booth Martin (1876 - 1967)*
Hansford Columbus Martin (1906 - 1975)*
Ola Wyllis Martin Sweeten (1914 - 2006)*
Carl Hicks Martin (1919 - 1972)*
Mary Adeline Martin Fletcher (1866 - 1942)*
Rachel Letha Martin Fountain (1870 - 1957)*
John Henry Martin (1871 - 1935)*
Carolyn Virginia Martin Ratliff (1874 - 1950)*
William Elzie Martin (1877 - 1963)*
Barney Columbus Martin (1879 - 1944)
Sallie Belle Martin Sanders (1882 - 1962)*
Mattie Essie Martin Powell (1885 - 1969)*
Ida Viola Martin Dixon (1888 - 1968)*
Created by: Epictetus
Record added: Mar 26, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 107326726