Frances's maiden name and parents aren't known.
She married about 1815 to Robert Falwell, who was probably a son of William Falwell, Sr.
In 1820, she and Robert were listed on the Buckingham County census with three young children:
1820 census, Buckingham Co., VA, New Canton Township, p. 113
One male aged 27-45 [Robert]
One female aged 27-45 [Frances]
One male aged under 10 [son who died before 1830?]
Two females aged under 10 [Eliza Jane and Mary]
In 1825, Robert and Frances bought 112 acres on Davids Creek (17W) from John P. Williams, land that was part of John Brown's former holdings.
In 1829, Robert and Frances bought 100 acres on Fishpond Creek (16SW), formerly William Falwell's, sold to Robert per request.
Their family continued to grow. By 1830, they had five children:
1830 census, Buckingham Co., VA, p. 293
one male aged 30-40 [Robert]
one female aged 30-40 [Frances]
two females aged 10-15 [Mary F. & Martha W.]
One male aged 5-10 [Joseph]
one female aged 5-10 [?]
two females aged under 5 [Ann & Sarah]
In 1832, Robert and Frances bought 59 and 1/2 acres on Davids Creek (18SW) from Robert Moore.
In 1836, Robert and Frances bought all the interest of William Andrews and his wife in the estate of Joseph Brown.
In 1840, they sold their land to Jordan Gowan (probably Robert's brother-in-law) and W. Johnson (possibly George Washington Johnson, the brother of two of Robert's sons-in-law). (Land Tax Summaries & Implied Deeds, 1815-1840, Volume 2, by Roger G. Ward, Iberian Publishing Company.)
By 1840, Robert and Frances went west with their children and slaves to the Robertsville/Lonedell area of Franklin Co., MO, where they were listed on the census that summer. It's possible they moved a few years before they sold their land in 1840 in Virginia.
The 1840 census shows that Robert and Frances were the second largest slaveholders in Calvey Township with nine slaves:
1840 census, Franklin Co., MO, Calvey township, p. 232
One male aged 40-50 [Robert]
One female aged 40-50 [Frances]
One male aged 15-20 [Joseph]
Two females aged 10-15 [Ann & Sarah]
One male aged 5-10 [William]
One female aged 5-10 [Augusta]
One female slave aged over 54
One male slave aged 24-35
One female slave aged 10-23
One male slave aged 10-23
Three males slaves aged under 10
Three females slaves aged under 10
Robert and Frances didn't enjoy their new home in Missouri for very long. Robert, although only about 48 years old, found some reason to make out his will in September 1840, a thing that was not usually done at that time until a person thought they were dying. Probably his health was failing. His will shows that he was unable to write or even sign his name; nevertheless, he was careful to provide for the education of his children. He died in the summer or fall of 1841, as his will was proved in Oct 1841.
Robert Falwell's will dated 19 Sep 1840, proved 31 Oct 1841, filed 11 Jan 1842.
State of Missouri, County of Franklin, Sept the 19th day AD one thousand eight hundred and forty.
I, Robert Fallwell of the county and state aforesaid doe make this my last will and testament in manner and form as follows.
First, that my body be decently interred and all my funeral expenses be paid together with my just debts.
Second, that all my estate be left in the possession of my beloved wife Frances Fallwell during her natural life, and that my son Joseph Falwell is hereby appointed my sole manager.
Thirdly, that all my estate, real and personal, be kept together until my youngest child or heir becomes of age.
Fourthly, that all my legal heirs that are now under age shall have a common education out of my estate. Also that all my children be kept together until they marry or become of lawful age. Also that all my daughters that are now married, to wit, Eliza Jane Daniel, Martha W. Johnson, & Mary F. Johnson, that the legal heirs of their bodies shall share an equal part with all the rest of my legal heirs after the death of myself and my beloved wife Frances Falwell.
And lastly, I hereby constitute and appoint my said wife and Joseph Fallwell, my son, to be the executors to this my last will and testament, revoking and annulling all former wills by me made and ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament, in testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal.
Signed, published, and declared by the Robert Falwell (his mark) above named Robert Fallwell and for his last will and testament in presence of us who in his presence have signed our names as witnesses to the same.
(his mark X) Robert Falwell
(signed) David A. Davidson
(signed) John Jones
State of Missouri, County of Franklin
This day personally appeared before John Jones and David Davidson before me the clerk of the County Court within ??? for the county aforesaid who being duly sworn states upon their oaths that the instrument of writing now produced to the Clerk of the County Court of ??? ??? purporting to be the last will of Robert Falwell, deceased, was signed by him as his last will and testament by his mark, that he was of sound mind at the time of the execution thereof, that they subscribed their names to said will in the presence of the said Robert Falwell, testator, and in the presence of each other. Sworn and subscribed to before me the Clerk of the County Court of said county this 31st day of October 1840. (signed) C.S. Jeffries
(signed) John Jones
(signed) David A. Davidson
Robert Falwell in his last will, appointed Frances Falwell & Joseph Falwell executors. Frances Falwell having departed this life and Joseph Falwell under age of 21 years, the court appointed Haliard D. Musick and Marvel M. Musick Administrators of estate, 8 Sep 1843.
Frances survived Robert by no more than two years. An unusually large number of people in the neighborhood died in the years 1843-1844, including Frances, sons Joseph and William, and possibly daughter Augusta.
The following land patents were issued 1 Oct 1845 to Robert's estate for the following tracts [a total of 200 acres]. These were just a little NE of Moselle.
T42N R1E Sec 11 NESE
T42N R1E Sec 11 S1/2NE
T42N R1E Sec 11 SW
T42N R1E Sec 11 W1/2SE
It's not known definitely that Robert and Frances are buried in the Johnson cemetery, but as the first known burial was of their daughter Mary F. Johnson in 1866 and the second was their daughter Ann M. Lewis in 1869, it seems likely that they were laid to rest near their parents.
1. Eliza Jane Falwell, b. 1817, Buckingham Co., VA; m.c. 1833, Buckingham Co., VA, to Henry Daniel [b. 1801, VA; d. by 1870, son of Daniel & Judith Daniel]; she d. c. 1872, Fannin Co., TX
2. Mary Frances Falwell, b. 1819, Buckingham Co., VA; m.c. 1835, Buckingham Co., VA, to Thomas J. Johnson [ b. 1812 VA; d. 1894, son of Christopher and Elizabeth (Day) Johnson, brother of James M. Johnson]; she d. 18 Jun 1866, Robertsville, Franklin Co., MO; buried in Johnson cemetery next to husband.
3. Martha W. Falwell, b. 1821, Buckingham Co., VA; m. 7 Sep 1840, Buckingham Co., VA, to James M. Johnson [b. 1815; d. 1889, son of Christopher and Elizabeth Johnson, brother of Thomas J. Johnson]; she d. 9 Mar 1889, Robertsville, Franklin Co., MO; buried Drake-Johnson Cemetery, Robertsville, Franklin Co., MO.
4. Joseph B. Falwell, b. c. 1823, Buckingham Co., VA; d. unmarried bet. Sep 1843 and Dec 1844, Robertsville, Franklin Co., MO; probably buried in Johnson cemetery.
5. daughter Falwell?, b.c. 1824 [listed on 1830 census]; d. probably by 1840.
6. Ann Marie Falwell, b. 12 Aug 1826, Buckingham Co., VA; m. 1st c. 1842 in Franklin Co., MO, to Haliard Musick [son of Ephraim Musick]; m. 2nd 25 Nov 1844, Franklin Co., MO, to James B. Lewis [b. 1812; d. 1889, son of Daniel & Abigail (Brown) Lewis]; she d. 22 Aug 1869, Robertsville, Franklin Co., MO; buried in Johnson cemetery.
7. Sarah B. Falwell, b.c. 1828, Buckingham Co., VA; m. 31 Oct 1843, Franklin Co., MO, to Thomas Jasper Gregory; she d. after 1870.
8. William B. Falwell, b.c. 1832, Buckingham Co., VA; d. unmarried 22 Feb 1844; ; probably buried in Johnson cemetery.
9. Augusta Falwell, b.c. 1835, Buckingham Co., VA; living with parents in 1840. Named in father's probate papers?
Robert Falwell (1788 - 1840)*
Eliza Jane Falwell Daniel (1815 - 1872)*
Mary Frances Falwell Johnson (1819 - 1866)*
Martha W. Falwell Johnson (1821 - 1889)*
Joseph B. Falwell (1823 - 1844)*
Ann Maria Falwell Lewis (1826 - 1869)*
William B. Falwell (1832 - 1844)*
Created by: Bev Golden
Record added: May 30, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 70613754
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.