|Birth: ||Jan. 26, 1907|
|Death: ||Nov. 21, 1941|
November 21, 1941 The Frederick Post
BURNS FATAL TO ARTHUR BOONE THIS MORNING – New Midway Mechanic Victim Of Accident At Garage Wednesday Night – CENTER OF TOWN WAS THREATENED – One man was fatally burned and the business center of new Midway was threatened with destruction by fire about 6 o'clock Wednesday evening when gasoline fumes became ignited in the basement of the Renner Motor Company. Arthur C. "Chin" Boone, 34, chief mechanic at the garage died early this morning at the Frederick City Hospital, his body badly burned from the waist to the top of his head. - Three Companies Respond – Timely action by the New Midway Volunteer firemen prevented destruction of the large building which houses besides the garage, the Renner store, the Rose Jelly manufacturing plant and the fire engine house. The Walkersville engine and two from Union Bridge were called when destruction of the building was feared. Damage was confined to about $300, according to Jesse I. Renner, owner of the garage and automobile sales department. "The building and perhaps surrounding buildings would probably have been destroyed," Mr. Renner said, "but for the fact that the fire department was immediately available. We called the other companies because we had no hope of saving our building and we wanted to protect other property." – Gasoline In Well – According to Mr. Renner gasoline had been leaking into the well which supplied the garage with water. The well had gone virtually dry, he said, and Boone went into the basement to prime the automatic pump. When he disconnected a pie, he said, water, gasoline and fumes were ejected into Boone's face and on his chest. The fumes are thought to have ignited from a nearby furnace. Shouting for aid and his clothing in flames, Boone ran up a flight of steps and collapsed. Maurice Stover, another employe, tore a sweater from himself and beat-out the flames. Ignatius Lambert rushed the injured man to the hospital here. – Building On Fire – Going below, employees found woodwork in flames and summoned firemen. Chemical equipment of the New Midway company was brought into use almost immediately, extinguishing the flames before other companies arrived on the scene. The fact that gasoline was leaking into the well was first determined about two months ago, Mrs. Renner said, and it was thought that the leak had been repaired. Water in the well never fell below six feet from the bottom during the 1930 drought, the said, but this week the supply was practically exhausted. It was in an effort to obtain any water available, that Boone was trying to prime the pump, he explained.
William Milton Boone (1880 - 1952)
Grace Jane Renner Boone (1879 - 1944)
Cora Isabelle Boone Eckenrode (1904 - 1978)*
Arthur C Boone (1907 - 1941)
Monocacy Congregation Church Of The Brethren Cemet
Maintained by: sevencees
Originally Created by: Miss Debbie
Record added: Mar 14, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 66913698
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.