|Birth: ||Feb. 29, 1916|
North Dakota, USA
|Death: ||Feb. 9, 2001|
Gideon "George" Richard Hockhalter Day
George Richard Day was born February 29, 1916 in Woodworth, ND and passed away February 9, 2001 in Puyallup, WA at the age of 84. He was the loving husband of Lucy Day of Graham, WA; stepfather of Walter (Jackie) Wooten of Yelm, WA, Paul (Penny) Wooten of DuPont, WA, Glenn Wooten of Mukilteo, WA; step-grandfather of Janice, Wayne, Katrina, Michael, Brent, Tonya; step-great-grandfather of Anson and Owen; brother of Fred, Adolph, Katherine, Christena, Peter, and John. A graveside service will be Tuesday, February 20, 2001, 1:00 PM at Tahoma National Cemetery. Memorials may go to the Pioneer Campus of Good Samaritan Hospital. [News Tribune of Tacoma, Washington, February 15, 2001]
In the obituary, no mention is made of George's three natural children, three natural grandchildren, and four natural great grand children due to strained family relations.
George married Lucy Jane Shelton Wooten in October, 1966. He remained married to her until his death. Please see obit above for details. Lucy had his headstone inscribed with "My Special Love."
- Gideon Richard Hockhalter changed his name to George Richard Day about 1952. No one is sure why (family suspects he wanted to be rid of his easily identifiable German heritage).
- George fought in WWII, where he met Ina Claire Young. They were both in the service.
- Much of his life, George was a farmer, butcher, etc. He, Ina, and their children lived in Olympia for many years, moved to Oregon and sold milk to Tillamook Cheese Factory, and eventually moved back to Washington, settling in Olympia.
- Ina and George got divorced around 1965.
- Before 1945, George married a woman named Desi, and they had a child named Kermit.
- George was one of 13 children.
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER: 06566858
NAME: HOCKHALTER GIDEON R
RESIDENCE: COUNTY VALEY
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY: 09/04/40
TERM OF ENLISTMENT Enlistment for the Philippine Department
YEAR OF BIRTH: 85
EDUCATION: 2 years of college
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION: Occupations in production of miscellaneous petroleum and coal products
MARITAL STATUS: Single, without dependents
John Hochhalter (1882 - 1945)
Albina Lehr Hochhalter (1887 - 1940)
Ina Claire Day (1921 - 1967)
Lucy Jane Shelton Day (1924 - 2012)
Adolph Hockhalter (1912 - 2005)*
Fred Emil Hockhalter (1912 - 2012)*
Julia Hochhalter Hewitt (1914 - 1990)*
George Gideon Richard Hockhalter Day (1916 - 2001)
Michael Hockhalter (1919 - 1987)*
Christena Hochhalter (1920 - 2010)*
Andrew Hockhalter (1921 - 1996)*
Pete Hockhalter (1924 - 2001)*
William Lee Hockhalter (1930 - 1992)*
William Hockhalter (1930 - 1992)*
PFC, US ARMY, WORLD WAR II, MY SPECIAL LOVE
Tahoma National Cemetery
Maintained by: OOYR
Originally Created by: International Wargraves ...
Record added: Jun 28, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 72106782
Gone but not forgotten|
Added: Jun. 18, 2013