Jul. 15, 1853 Newfane Niagara County New York, USA
Jul. 3, 1915 Bowdoin Phillips County Montana, USA
Emma Jane Hurlbut was the firstborn child of Reverend Henry Clay Hurlbut and Jane Elizabeth Shaw. Emma was born in Newfane, Niagara County, New York, where her father and grandfather were farmers. Her father went into the ministry after the family moved from New York to Michigan when Emma was about 5 years old.
Emma was a very smart and strong woman. Prior to her marriage, she attended Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan. On December 18, 1872 she married a farmer, John Perrin (memorial #36037372), who was the son of a prominent Hillsdale family. They had 3 children – daughter Ina, and sons Harry and Carl. The marriage was not a happy one, and broke up before 1900. Emma first lived with her parents, and then became the sole support of her family, taking in laundry and sewing, and running a small farm with her sons. Although (or maybe because) she was the daughter of a clergyman, she was shunned by other parishioners when she and John separated. It is said that she never stepped foot in a church again, but retained her faith. She later lived in the Cleveland, Ohio area with her daughter Ina, and after Ina's untimely death, Emma moved to Montana where her son Carl was a minister. Emma died when the stove she was tending exploded. She is buried with her daughter Ina in Cleveland, Ohio. Family sources state that in her bitterness towards her former husband, she requested that the name "Perrin" was not to be on her headstone.
Thank you to a Montana researcher, Cara, for sharing these newspaper clippings: The Enterprise, Harlem, MT, 8 July 1915
Dodson Woman is Burned to Death
Rev. C.A. Perrin received the sad news Saturday evening that his mother had been severely burned at her home in Dodson and he left at once with Dr. Clay for Dodson and after his arrival Mrs. Perrin lived about three hours and although severely burned was able to talk with her son until the end came.
The particulars of the sad affair: Mrs. Perrin, who lived alone, attempted to build a fire in a stove about 9 o'clock Saturday evening, and in order to hasten the burning of the fire, had thrown into the stove what she supposed was kerosene, but which proved to be gasoline. An explosion occurred and she was at once enveloped in flames and her eyes burned so badly that she was blinded. She rushed from the burning contents of the room, the breeze fanning the flames and adding to their intensity. A neighbor hastened to her assistance and wrapped a heavy shawl about her, but not before the entire surface of her body was covered with burns. The contents of the room in which the fire occurred was completely destroyed, with the exception of some books. The victim of the tragedy was brought here and a short funeral service held from Tucker's undertaking rooms Monday morning, after which the Rev. Perrin started back to Cleveland, Ohio, the old home, with the remains, where burial will take place.
Mrs. Perrin was born at Niagra Falls (sic), New York, and was 62 years of age.
The Galata Journal (MT), 8 July 1915
Used Coal Oil on Fire; Was Killed
Malta, July 4--Mrs. A. Perrin (sic) of Dodson paid with her life for using coal oil with which to light her kitchen fire last night. She poured the oil on what was apparently smouldering coals and explosion followed which ignited her clothing and enveloped her in flames and burned her terribly. She was discovered by her fourteen-year-old grandson, but he was powerless to aid her until fatal burns had been sustained. (Note: Emma did not have a 14 year old grandson, so perhaps that was a neighbor)