|Birth: ||Jan., 1835, England|
|Death: ||May 12, 1909|
Alice Brooks, dau. of Samuel Brooks and Mary Firth, b. at Oldham, Lancashire, England (1861 England census) in Jan. 1835 (1900 U.S. census). In the initial June 6, 1841 census of England she was 7 years old, and in the Apr. 1, 1851 census she was 17 years old, residing on the same Street (Jones) ten enumerated households from her future husband.
On Mar. 9, 1857 at St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church at Oldham, Alice m. Edmund Layfield, eldest known child of James Layfield and Mary Farrow, b. by early 1833 at Oldham. She with her husband and two small children immigrated to the U.S. arriving at the Port of New York on Feb. 17, 1865 aboard the ship "City of Dublin", which had sailed from Liverpool, England via Queensland, Ireland.
In the June 1900 U.S. census the widow Alice Layfield was residing at Bridgeport, Penn. in the household of her married dau. Sarah (Layfield) Stricker, where Alice d. in 1909. Per her obituary in the May 15, 1909 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer, her funeral was held on May 13, 1909 at the Bridgeport home of her dau., Mrs. Charles J. Stricker, of 105 E. 4th Street.
As referenced in the memorial of her husband, the large Layfield monument accompanying his memorial page does not tell the whole story, with some of the stated years of birth incorrect. Alice and her husband had seven known children, only four of whom were living in June 1900. The first three were b. at Oldham, Lancashire, England, the others at the Manayunk section of the City of Philadelphia:
• i. Edmund Layfield, b. in 1858 at Oldham, where he d. in infancy in 1858 (Oldham Civil Reg. Index).
• ii. Edmund Layfield, b. in Apr. 1860 (1900 U.S. census; Oldham, England Civil Reg. Index) and d. May 27, 1932 at Radnor, Penn.; m. Sept. 1, 1886, Alice Gray Wolfe, b. in Feb. 1860, dau. of John Mathias and Mary A. (---) Wolfe. She was living in late 1953 at Radnor, Penn. when as a child the memorialist met her for the only time. Two children of the family.
• iii. Mary Layfield, b. in 1862 (Oldham Civil Registration) and d. unmarried Jan. 6, 1884 at age 22 at the Manayunk section of the City of Philadelphia, Penn.; interred at Leverington Cem. at Roxborough.
• iv. Sarah Layfield, b. in Dec. 1866 at the Manayunk section of the City of Philadelphia and d. in 1922 at Bridgeport, Penn.; interred at Riverside Cem. at Norristown; m. circa 1886 as his 1st wife, Charles J. Stricker, s. of Julius and Augusta Stricker, b. in Feb. 1864 at Roxborough, City of Philadelphia. He d. testate Dec. 17, 1928 at Bridgeport, Penn. and had three known children. He m. 2) bef. his death his deceased wife's youngest sister Annie Layfield. See below.
• v. Emma Layfield, b. in Aug. 1869 at Manayunk and d. unmarried in 1912 at Bridgeport, Penn.; interred at Riverside Cem. at Norristown.
• vi. Robert Layfield, b. Oct. 5, 1872 at Manayunk where he d. 10 days later on Oct. 15, 1872; interred at Leverington Cem. at Roxborough.
• vi. Annie Layfield, b. in Mar. 1874 at Manayunk, d. June 30, 1963 at Upper Providence Twp, Montgomery County, Penn.; m. as his 2nd wife before Dec. 1928, her widowed brother-in-law Charles J. Stricker. There were no children of the marriage and she is interred at Riverside Cem. at Norristown.
Edmund Layfield (1833 - 1876)*
Edmund Layfield (1860 - 1932)*
Mary Layfield (1862 - 1884)*
Sarah Layfield Stricker (1866 - 1922)*
Robert Layfield (1872 - 1872)*
Annie Layfield Stricker (1874 - 1963)*
1834 EDMUND 1876
1835 ALICE 1909
1863 MARY 1884
1869 EMMA 1912
1874 ANNIE 1963
Plot: Riverview Section
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: John Davies
Record added: May 18, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 26928070