|Birth: ||Sep. 18, 1665|
|Death: ||Jun. 29, 1742|
William Davenport was purportedly born Sept. 18, 1665 at Hartford, Conn., the purported son of Humphrey Davenport and Rachel Holmes. Neither the date of his birth nor parentage can be proved by available records, although there is circumstantial evidence that Humphrey and Rachel were his parents.
As individuals and married couple, Humphrey Davenport and Rachel Holmes' trail includes Barbadoes in the West Indies, Plymouth, Mass., Hartford Conn., and lastly New York City where Rachel sued Humphrey for divorce. Rachel is thereafter of record intending to transport slaves from New York City to the Carolinas.
William Davenport m. 1) at Hartford, Conn., Elizabeth Nichols, eldest known child of Capt. Cyprian Nichols, Sr. and his wife Mary of Hartford. They m. prior to Feb. 23, 1695/6 when both were admitted to "own the covenant" of the Hartford 1st Chh. One child was born of the marriage:
• i. William Davenport, Jr., b. on or before Feb. 19, 1697/8, the date his mother died at Hartford, Conn.; he m. Dec. 4, 1741 at Hartford, Elizabeth Williams, dau. of John Williams and Mary Bigelow, and widow of John Yeomans, Jr.
William Davenport, Sr. m. 2) circa 1701 prob. at Hartford, Ann Edwards, dau. of Richard Edwards, Esq. and his first wife Elizabeth Tuttle of Hartford, Conn., the widow of Jonathan Richardson. By this marriage were born five known children:
• ii. Capt. Humphrey Davenport, bapt. Oct. 11, 1702 at the Hartford 2nd Chh.; m. May 9, 1737 Hannah Fitch at Coventry, Conn.
• iii. Ann Davenport, bapt. Aug. 26, 1705 at the Hartford 1st Chh.; m. circa 1734 prob. at Coventry, Conn., Habakuk Turner and resided at Coventry.
• iv. Elizabeth Davenport, bapt. Aug. 8, 1708 at Stonington, Conn.; m. Nathaniel Gove before 1739.
• v. Richard Davenport, bapt. Sept. 18, 1715 at Stonington, Conn.; m. an Alice and resided at Coventry, Conn.
• vi. Rachel Davenport, bapt. Apr. 5, 1718 at Stonington, Conn., but no further record of her can be found.
William Davenport, Sr. died at Coventry, Conn. on June 29, 1742. According to the Coventry records, Ann (Edwards) (Richardson) Davenport d. at Coventry in May 1764.
Elizabeth Nichols Davenport (1671 - 1698)*
Ann Edwards Davenport (1678 - 1764)*
Humphrey Davenport (1702 - 1751)*
Here lies interred the Body of mr
WILLIAM DAVENPORT ye
Well Beloved consort of Mrs
who died jvne the 29th 1742
in the 77th year of his age
On the day William died he was 76 years old, and Ætatis suæ (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 77.
Nathan Hale Cemetery
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Judith
Record added: Aug 07, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 11491347