|Birth: ||Feb., 1822|
Sereptha Williams was the daughter of Henry and Mary Williams. Henry was born abt 1790 in NC. Mary was born abt 1793 in NC. Sereptha's Cherokee name was "Laughing Water." Sometimes her name is spelled Sarepta. She was born in Feb 1822 in Alabama (census records) and died after 1900 in south TX near the King Ranch (Howard family history).
Sereptha first married Thomas Watts, Jr. (1822-1849), known as "Cherokee Ben." Sereptha and Thomas had three children,
1. Greenberry (or Green Berry) b abt 1843. Likely same as WGB Watts, died 11 Feb 1865 in the CSA General Hospital in Shreveport. He was a private in Company E of the 19th Reg. Texas Infantry. He joined in San Augustine, Texas for 3 years or the war on March 30, 1862 and is listed as age 18.
2. Amanda Jane b abt 1846. Married William Hafford and had three children.
3. Benjamin Franklin "Frank" b 6 Apr 1848 in LA or TX d 31 Dec 1934, South Houston, Harris Co., TX (death cert.). He married _____ ______ and had at least three children, Leeland, Emilio and John W. He later married Emma C. ______ b. Oct. 1888 and had a daughter, Mandy O. (1900 Cameron Co., TX census). One internet source lists his wives' names as 1. Adeline Hunt, 2. Mary Elizabeth McGee, and 3. Emma Collins Johnston.
Cherokee Ben Watts died in 1849. The 1850 Sabine Co., TX census found Sereptha and her young family living with her parents, Henry and Mary. Her age is listed as 24, so she could instead have been born abt 1826.
Sereptha then married George Washington Howard on July 14, 1853, San Augustine Co. The 1860 San Augustine Co. census found "Wash" and Sereptha with the three Watts children and three of their own.
1. Mary Elizabeth, born abt 1854, married John Cooper
2. Napoleon Bonaparte, born abt 1858
3. Ada born abt June, 1860.
4. Other internet sites list daughter Georgianna born 1862.
George Washington Howard died in the Civil War about 1863/4 on or near Galveston Island (Howard family).
"Serepthy" Howard was found in the 1900 census, age 78, living with her son, Benjamin F. Watts with his family in Cameron County, TX near Brownsville. She was listed as widowed. Howard family history says she died near the King Ranch on her way back to East Texas (See http://micspoon.tripod.com/nti/nti11685.html).
George Washington Howard (1834 - 1864)*
Benjamin Franklen Watts (1848 - 1934)*
Napoleon Bonaparte Howard (1858 - 1930)*
Ada Howard McGee (1860 - 1929)*
Specifically: Burial unknown
Created by: R Strickland
Record added: Sep 18, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 97367686
Texas Death Records show her husband George Washington Howard as dying in Civil War while defending Galveston Island and was given Burial At Sea.|
Candie Sims Witherspoon
Added: Jan. 24, 2016
In Loving Remembrance...|
Added: Sep. 28, 2012