|Death: ||Jun. 10, 1731|
New London County
from "Families of Ancient Wethersfield Connecticut", by Henry R. Stiles:
Rev John [Bulkeley] b. 1679, grad. H[arvard] C[ollege] 1699; m. Patience (dau. John & Sarah) Prentice, of New Lond., stud. theol., became pastor at Colchester, Ct., 20 Dec, 1703, where he ministered until his dth. in June, 1731; held high rank among the clergy of his day. Pres. Chauncey, of H. C., certainly a competent critic, after a full estimate of the character and abilities of Rev. John's father (Dr. Gershom) and his gd-father, (Rev. Dr. Peter), hesitates not to say, "but, by all that I have been able to collect, the Colchester Bulkeley surpassed his predeccessors in the strength of his intellectual powers;" and he classes him among the three most eminent for strength of genius and powers of mind, that New Eng. had then produced - the others being the Rev. Jeremiah Dummer, and Mr. Thomas Walter. He was "a famous casuist and sage counsellor."
Mr. Bulkeley married, in 1701, Patience, daughter of John and Sarah Prentice. Children:
1. Sarah, born April 8, 1702; married (first) Jonathan Trumbull; (second) John Wells.
2. Daughter, born and died May 6, 1704.
3. John, born April 19, 1705; married (first) Mary Gardner, October 29, 1738; (second) April 16, 1751, Abigail Hastings.
4. Dorothy, born February 28, 1706.
5. Gershom, February 4, 1708.
6. Charles, December 26, 1710.
7. Peter, November 21, 1712.
8. Patience, May 21, 1715 [link below]
9. Oliver, born July 29, 1717; died January I, 1779.
10. Lucy, born June 29, 1720 [link below]
11. Irene (twin), born February 10, 1722; died February 20, 1722.
12. Joseph (twin), born February 10, 1722; died February 25, 1722.
Gershom Bulkley (1636 - 1713)
Sarah Chauncey Bulkeley (1631 - 1699)
Sarah Bulkeley Wells (1702 - 1798)*
John Bulkeley (1705 - 1753)*
Gershom Bulkeley (1708 - 1788)*
Peter Bulkeley (1712 - 1798)*
Patience Bulkeley Lord Eells (1715 - 1794)*
Lucy Bulkeley Lord (1720 - 1800)*
Dorothy Bulkeley Treat (1662 - 1757)*
John Bulkeley (1679 - 1731)
Tabel Top Inscription --- First Minister of the First Church of Colchester. Son of Rev. Gershom & Sarah Chauncey of Wethersfield and grandson of Rev. Peter Bulkeley and Grace Chetwood of Concord Ma formerly of Bedfordshire, England - died age 52
Colchester Burying Ground
New London County
Maintained by: THStew
Originally Created by: Frank Grimes
Record added: Nov 24, 2002
Find A Grave Memorial# 6948376