|Birth: ||Jan. 9, 1779|
|Death: ||Sep. 26, 1863|
William Foster was born on 9 Jan 1779 in Rockbridge County, Virginia as the fifth child of James Foster and Jane P (Jean) Campbell. He had five siblings, namely: Michael, Mary Ann, Rachel, James Coulter, and John. On 16 Sep 1807, at the age of 28, he married Mary Ann McCray in Rockbridge County.
William was orphaned at the age of 9 and was "bound out" to William Moffett on 20 Jan 1789 in neighboring Augusta County, Virginia. The order to bind William Foster to William Moffett was rescinded on 20 Apr 1790 and I have found no record where he went from there until his marriage to Mary Ann McCray in 1807. He is found in Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia, on the 1820 and 1830 US Federal Censuses living with his wife and children. His oldest daughter, Selina, married David Spohr in Rockbridge County on 17 Apr 1827.
In 1832, both the Foster and Spohr families relocated to Walnut Township in Montgomery County, Indiana. The party included William & Mary Ann Foster, three of their four sons, their daughter Nancy McCray Foster, and their daughter Mary Ann Foster Spohr, along with her husband David Spohr their two children born by that time, Nancy Jane and John Spohr. They all made the 700 mile trip in a in a four-horse Virginia scoop-bed wagon. William was 53 years old at the time.
William and Mary Ann lived in Walnut Township in Montgomery County, Indiana for some years after that and are found there on both the 1840 and 1850 censuses. William was most likely a farmer. His wife Mary Ann was one of the founding members of the Union Presbyterian Church there and a number of family members subsequently joined this church including William's younger brother John and sister-in-law Elizabeth Foster, though it is not clear if William himself was a member.
William Foster died on 26 Sep 1863 at the age of 84 and is buried in Indian Creek Hill Cemetery in New Market, Montgomery County.
William and Mary Ann McCray Foster had the following children:
1. Unknown Son Foster (possibly William R.) was born about 1809 in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
2. Selina Jane Foster was born in 1812 in Rockbridge County, Virginia, United States. She died on 14 Nov 1883 in Montgomery County, Indiana, United States. She married David Spohr on 17 Apr 1827 in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
3. Unknown Son Foster was born between 1815–1819 in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
4. David Campbell Foster was born on 26 Feb 1813 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. He died on 20 Jun 1861 on the Oregon Trail 30 miles east of Fort Larmie, Goshen, Wyoming.
5. Nancy McCray Foster was born in 1819 in Rockbridge County, Virginia, United States.
6. James Foster was born on 6 Aug 1822 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. He died on 21 Mar 1896 in Montgomery County, Indiana. He married Mary J. Gott on 19 Jul 1849 in Montgomery County, Indiana.
Mary Ann McCray Foster (1783 - 1867)*
Salena Jane Foster Spohr (1811 - 1882)*
David Campbell Foster (1813 - 1861)*
Nancy McCray Foster Monfort (1819 - 1899)*
James Foster (1822 - 1896)*
Note: 84y 8m 17d
Indian Creek Hill Cemetery
Created by: Kidwell-Money
Record added: Jan 23, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 104062861