|Birth: ||May 15, 1832|
St. Clair County
|Death: ||Jul. 1, 1884|
Alexander Right Godwin was born into a farming family and followed in that occupation during his lifetime.
He married Drucilla Frances Little on 02 Dec 1854 at Jefferson Co., AL.
At the age of 30, his life was interrupted by his enlistment into the Army of the Confederacy for three years on 06 May 1862 (planting time) at Pensacola, FL. He was a private in Company "B" 33rd Alabama Infantry which was organized in April 1862 at Pensacola, Florida. Initially assigned to defend Confederate forts in Pensacola Bay, FL, the 33rd was quickly transferred to duty in the Army of Tennessee, where it saw its first significant action at the Battle of Perryville (08 Oct 1862). It would go on to fight at Stone's River, Chickamauga, the Siege of Chattanooga, the Atlanta Campaign (including Ringgold Gap and Kennesaw Mountain), and the disastrous Franklin-Nashville Campaign in late 1864.
The Civil War record of Alexander Right Godwin states:
He was absent at the Jan. and Feb. 1863 company muster rolls due to having been sent “to genl hosp from Tupelo, Miss. in July (1862) by order of surgeon”. There no mention of the reason for this hospitalization but it probably was due to sickness from disease.
The March and April 1863 musters of Company "B" state he is still absent and has been “sent to Gen Hos from Tupelo, Miss on the 4 July (1862) by order of surgeon. Now at Dalton, Ga”.
The May, June, July, and August 1863 musters of Company "B" dated 20 July 1863 confirm that he is still absent. “Sent to Genl Hosp. from Tupelo, Miss in 04 July 62 by order of surgeon. Now at home on sick furlough”.
The Sept and Oct 1863 musters of Company "B" remarks are drastically different. He is again absent but the remarks state: “Wounded in battle Chickamauga 20 Sept. (1863) Sent to genl hosp by order of surgeon”. The last date on his Civil War record was Feb 1864 but doesn't elaborate further on his war experiences.
The children of Alexander Right and Drucella Frances (Little) Godwin were:
1) Henry Alexander Godwin (See below).
2) Laura "Looney" Deselamond Godwin b. Abt. 1857 St. Clair Co., AL, d. Aft. 29 Mar 1890 Jefferson Co., AL.
3) Martha J. Godwin b. 02 May 1858 Jefferson Co., AL, d. 14 May 1872 Alabama.
4) Frances Ella Godwin (See below).
5) James Godwin b. Abt. 1866 Jefferson Co., AL.
6) Joseph "Joe" Johnson Godwin b. 10 Jul 1868 Leeds, Jefferson Co., AL, d. 18 Sep 1939 Leeds, Jefferson Co., AL, m. 1890 Senthey Ather Lonie McLaughlin.
7) Loida (Lula) Maude Godwin b. Abt. 1870 Jefferson Co., AL, d. 18 Jun 1964 Cook Springs, St Clair Co., AL.
8) Mary Davis Godwin b. Jan 1872 Jefferson Co., AL, d. 08 Jun 1952 Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL, m. 1893 William F. DeLoach.
8) Obediah Godwin (See below).
9) George Jones Godwin (see below).
Bio by Gresham Farrar.
Margaret M. McLaughlin Godwin (1797 - 1866)
Alexander M. Godwin (1795 - 1881)
Drucella Frances Little Godwin (1836 - 1904)*
Henry Alexander Godwin (1856 - 1881)*
Martha J. Godwin (1858 - 1872)*
Frances Ella Godwin Abercrombie (1861 - 1935)*
Obediah Godwin (1874 - 1881)*
George Jones Godwin (1876 - 1891)*
Farewell my wife and children __
From your father Christ doth ____
Mourn not for me it is in vain
To call me in your sight again
Little Family Cemetery
Maintained by: Gresham Farrar
Originally Created by: J Lowery
Record added: Oct 31, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 43765645