PLEASE NOTE: If anyone has information about the specific location of David Dalton Sr's tombstone, or that of his wife's, please let me know so this entry can be updated. Many thanks.
Neither the exact date or place of birth of David Dalton Sr is known. His date of birth here is based on the earliest recorded fact found to date that could be used to determine age according to Virginia law. He would have been of age in 1746 when he was sued for debt in Brunswick County, VA. (Brunswick Co VA COB 3:63). DNA tests of descendants indicate he was Irish.
By 1776 he is referenced in John Smith's Last Will & Testament as living on land across from Owen Atkinson (Pittsylvania County, VA, Will Book). The 1774 Atkinson survey of 80 acres in the watershed of Bearskin Creek would today be south of Route 799 and off to the West. The exact boundaries are unknown.
David Dalton Sr. signed the Oath of Allegiance on Captain Daniel Hankins' list in Pittsylvania County, VA, in 1777. This makes descendants eligible for membership in the Daughters and Sons of the American Revolution.
Little is known about the married life of David Dalton Sr., except that he was married to Hannah (family unknown). From 1797 through 1801, Camden Parish Vestry provided support for David and Hannah. From 1802 through 1804 support was provided for Hannah only; therefore, we can assume David Dalton was deceased by 1802 and Hannah Dalton was deceased by 1804.
David Dalton Sr's Children:
1. BENJAMIN: born c1751. On tithe with David paying tithe, 1767. Witnesses deed in Bedford, 1768. Disappears.
2. JAMES: born c1757. On tithe list as son of David, 1773. Signed Oath of Allegiance 1777. May lease first land, 1778. Married AGNES DYER, 1782. Moved to Bearskin Creek, 1786. Probably died 1802 (based on tax lists and a James Dalton listed as deceased in COB 10: 310.).
3. RACHEL: born 1759. Married GEORGE DYER, 1775. Moved to Henry County, VA. Died Henry County, VA, 1862.
4. SARAH: Born c1760. Married Daniel McKenzie prior to 1787. Moved to Henry County, VA, where her husband died. Moved to Pulaski County, KY, with her children and the Bobbitt family.
5. NANCY: Born c1760. Married Nathan Dyer, 1788. [NOTE: Not proven as a child of David Dalton, Sr.]
THE ABOVE RESEARCH WAS CONDUCTED BY MELANIE DALTON CRAIN AND JIM KLUMPP.
Hannah Dalton (____ - 1804)
Rachel Dalton Dyer (1759 - 1862)*
David Dalton Homeplace
Created by: Rebecca Reuben Dyer
Record added: Nov 14, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 100694107
6TH GREAT GRANDFATHER - RIPI BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE HE IS BURIED ALONG WITH OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS:Dalton Family Cemetery Bills CreekRutherford CountyNorth Carolina, USA|
Added: Jan. 6, 2017
THIS David Dalton Sr. Is considered Ba Patriot because signed the Oath of Allegiance in 1777 (on Captain Daniel Hankins' list) in Pittsylvania County, VA, in 1777. His descendants eligible for membership in the Daughters and Sons of the Revolution.|
Added: Nov. 6, 2016
My 5th great grandfather|
Added: Nov. 3, 2016
|There are 7 more notes not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...