|Birth: ||Jan. 30, 1837|
|Death: ||Nov. 1, 1907|
Henry Ackerman Smith, son of Jacob and Mary Weinland Smith was born on 30 Jan 1837, in Westmoreland Co., PA. He was baptized in his infancy in the Lutheran Church at Youngstown, PA where his mother held her membership.
He became a school teacher in Youngstown, PA in 1855, later attending Allegheny College at Meadville, PA. In 1859, he traveled to Jessamine Co., KY and taught at several schools there (Little Hickman, Potts Mills and Sulpher Well schools). His teaching career was interrupted when the Civil War began.
Henry A. Smith married Almira (Myra) Clay Potts, daughter of William Nixon Potts, Jr. and Elizabeth Hoover Potts on 2 April 1861 at her family home in Jessamine Co., KY. Myra was born in Jessamine Co. KY on 26 Dec 1845.
In Oct 1861, he enlisted in the volunteer service of the U. S. Army at Nicholasville, KY. He enlisted in the 21st Infantry, Ohio Regiment w/Col Jesse Norton commanding Company D and Capt Matthew Ewing at the head. Discharged in 1862.
After his return to civilian life, Henry became a minister, holding membership in the Kentucky and St. Louis Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
To Henry and Myra Potts Smith eight children were born:
(1) William Henry Smith (b. 19 July 1863 d. 4 Aug 1863)
(2) Eugene Herbert Smith (b. 25 Mar 1865 d. 8 Feb 1956 m. Stella Rowe)
(3) Jessamine Minnie Smith (b. 14 Sept 1867 d. 12 Jan 1948)
(4) May Smith (b. 2 Sept 1869 d. 26 Jan 1941 m. John Luther Peacock)
(5) Blanche Smith (b. 17 Sept 1871 d. 12 Mar 1961 m. Richard A. Jewell)
(6) Margaret "Maggie" Zue Smith (b. 13 Aug 1875 d. 1961 m. Charles E. Nolan)
(7) Mattie Ruby Smith (b. 4 Sept 1877 d. 6 Nov 1878)
(8) Roy Hiner Smith (b. 13 Jan 1880 d. 22 Feb 1938 m. (1) Wella Clarkson (2) Tabatha York)
Henry died on 1 November after a busy morning at home. He is buried in the old section of Poplar Bluff City Cemetery beside his wife, Myra who died on 6 Nov 1931.
Poplar Bluff City Cemetery
Plot: Block 1, Section 1
Created by: Celia Taylor
Record added: Mar 17, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 86894371