|Birth: ||Aug. 24, 1750|
|Death: ||Mar. 21, 1824|
David Allen, s. of Daniel Allen, Sr. and Azuba Ladd, b. of record Aug. 24, 1750 at Mansfield, Conn. He d. Mar. 21, 1824 at Halifax, VT.
On May 16, 1776 at Mansfield, Conn., David m. Lydia Abbe, dau. of Solomon Abbe and Sarah Knight, b. of record July 6, 1757 at Windham, Conn. She d. Feb. 21, 1842 at Halifax, VT. They had at least ten children, including two the memorialist cannot identify. The eldest three children (a son John in 1779 and twin daus. Azuba and Sarah in 1781) were b. and d. in infancy at Mansfield, Conn. before the family relocated to Halifax, VT by 1784. The eldest child b. of record at Halifax, dau. Ruby in 1785, is called in the vital records of Halifax as the 4th dau. of the family, followed by s. David in 1787 called the 3rd son of the family.
David served during the Rev. War, in part with his oldest brother Lieut. then Capt. Daniel Allen, Jr., was awarded a pension, with his widow subsequently awarded a widow's pension (W17212) under the alternate surname of Allin. The widow Lydia's pension application includes an affidavit by John Harris of Halifax, who also came from Conn. and stated that David moved from Conn. to Halifax in 1784 and that Harris "knew her father Abbe." This last reference adds confirmation that the document pertained to Lydia (Abbe) Allen, widow of David Allen, son of Daniel and Azuba (Ladd) Allen late of Ashford, Conn.
David is identified as David Allen, Jr. in the 1790 federal census of Halifax, VT and as David, Jr. in several of the births at Halifax of his children. The reason is that there were three David Allen's residing at Halifax in the Spring 1791 federal census of the Vermont Territory: David Sr., David Jr. and David 2nd, with the census taker signifying their relative seniority in age, not that David Jr. was necessarily the son of David Sr.
David Allen and Lydia Abbe had the following identified children. The numbering is intended to reflect the two unidentified children, who may or may not have d. in infancy. The first three were b. at Mansfield, Conn., the rest of record at Halifax, VT:
• i. John Allen, b. Nov. 30, 1779 and d. the same day at Mansfield, Conn.
• ii. Azuba Allen, a twin, b. May 2, 1781, d. in infancy May 9, 1781.
• iii. Sarah Allen, a twin, b. May 2, 1781, d. in infancy May 3, 1781.
• vi. Ruby Allen, b. Jun 25, 1785 at Halifax, VT, d. July 31, 1879 at Oak Grove, Dodge County, Wisc. (g.s.); m. Nov. 16, 1819 at Halifax, VT, Thaddeus Cutler, who d. Nov. 19, 1861 at Oak Grove, Dodge County, Wisc. (g.s.) Four children b. of record at Halifax, VT, perhaps others at Wisc.
• vii. David Allen, Jr., b. May 26, 1787, no further certain record found.
• viii. Samuel Allen, b. July 27, 1789, d. May 24, 1869 at Halifax, VT (g.s.); m. Jan. 31, 1815 purportedly at Monson, Mass., his 2nd cousin Phebe Cushman, dau. of Joshua Cushman and Bathsheba Allen, b. Oct 25, 1785 of record at Hanover, NH. She d. Aug. 19, 1856 at Halifax, VT (g.s.). On her father' side, Phebe was a descendant of Mary (Allerton) Cushman, dau. of Isaac Allerton, both Mary and her father passengers of the 1620 Mayflower passage. At her death in 1699, Mary (Allerton) Cushman was the last surviving Mayflower passenger. Sameul Allen and Phebe Cushman had five children: two died young, one never married while two married but left no children. Henry Wyles Cushman's "Historical and Biographical Genealogy of the Cushmans", p. 203, called the eldest child of the family a son named Noble, who actually was the never married dau. named Nabby.
• ix. Lydia Abbe Allen, whose middle name is "Abbie" in the birth record, b. July 14, 1791; no further certain record found.
• x. Daniel Allen, b. Jan. 12, 1794, d. Nov. 8, 1886 at Halifax, VT (g.s.); m. Mar. 4, 1818 at Halifax, Cynthia Jackson, who d. Oct. 9, 1859 at Halifax (g.s.).
Daniel Allen (1717 - 1811)
Azuba Ladd Allen (1717 - 1776)
Lydia Abbe Allen (1757 - 1842)
Ruby Allen Cutler (1785 - 1879)*
Daniel Allen (1794 - 1886)*
Died March 21, 1824
Based on his recorded date of birth, on the day Daniel died he was 73 years old, and Ætatis (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 74, not 73 as inscribed.
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Denise Crawford
Record added: Aug 27, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 96112433