|Death: ||Mar. 10, 1727|
Lieut. Joseph Allen, s. of James Allen and Elizabeth Partridge, b. on or aft. Mar 11, 1684/5 at Tisbury, Mass. where he d. intestate Mar. 10, 1726/7 (g.s., Æ 42). According to the History of Martha's Vineyard, Joseph was a cooper (barrel maker) and his widow was appointed administratrix of his estate. At the time of his death all of the children were minors and the estate was not divided until March 1734/5.
On an unrecorded date, Joseph m. Patience Bourn(e), dau. of Shearjashub Bourn(e), Esq. and Bathsheba Skiff, b. of record Apr. 20, 1686 at Sandwich, Mass. Patience was the youngest sister of Mary, the wife of Joseph's older brother James Allen.
Per the History of Martha's Vineyard, they had seven children, one dying in infancy without name or date, the remaining six with full dates of birth in the Tisbury Vital Records, Joseph himself recording child iii-v as town clerk:
• i. Ruth Allen, b. June 16, 1711, d. Jan. 23, 1804 at Rochester, Mass. (g.s.); m. Sept. 3, 1731 of record at Tisbury, Samuel Gray, who d. Oct. 9, 1768 at Rochester, Mass. (g.s.).
• ii. Susanna Allen, b. Apr. 28, 1716; m. Sept. 5, 1733 at Tisbury, Samuel Look.
• iii. Bathsheba Allen, b. Jan. 31, 1718/9; m. Stephen Look.
• iv. Joseph Allen, Jr., b. July 17, 1723, d. Jan. 5, 1798 at Tisbury; m. Patience Nye, dau. of Benjamin Nye and Lydia Freemen. She d. Feb. 13, 1817 at Tisbury.
• v. Shearjashub Allen, b. June 2, 1725, d. Feb. 16, 1725/6.
• vi. Benjamin Allen, b. Aug. 28, 1727, drowned Nov. 14, 1791 while traveling at night betw. Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (g.s., age 64y.2m.14ds); m. Eleanor Athearn of Tisbury Jan. 18, 1753, dau. of Jethro Athearn and Mary Mayhew, b. Dec. 7, 1727 at Tisbury. She d. at Tisbury as his widow May 15, 1818. [The History of Martha's Vineyard claims after his birth no further record exists for this Benjamin Allen and that Benjamin's 1st cousin Benjamin b. in 1718, son of Ebenezer,3 (James,2 Samuel,1), m. Eleanor Athearn as his 2nd wife. But, the death record of this Benjamin in the vital records and his extant gravestone prove this an association error.]
The widow Patience (Bourne) Allen m. 2) on an unknown date as his 2nd wife, Jonathan Lumbert, Jr. of Tisbury, s. of Jonathan Lumbert and Hepzibah Eddy, b. Nov. 20, 1684 at Barnstable, Mass. There are no known children of the marriage and Patience's 1765 recorded death and gravestone reflects a married surname of only Allen.
James Allen (1636 - 1714)
Elizabeth Partridge Allen (1643 - 1722)
Patience Bourne Allen (1686 - 1765)*
Amy Allen Hatch (1663 - 1709)*
Ruth Allen Bangs (1670 - 1738)*
James Allen (1674 - 1724)*
Samuel Allen (1677 - 1755)*
Joseph Allen (1685 - 1727)
Here lyes ye body
of Leut Joseph
Allen Decd March
ye 20 1726/7
In ye 42d year
of His age.
On the day Joseph died he was 41 years old, and Ætatis (i.e., Æ. "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 42, meaning he was b. on or aft. Mar. 11, 1684/5.
West Tisbury Village Cemetery
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Tom Cummings
Record added: Oct 14, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5843899
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.