|Death: ||Jul. 25, 1714|
James Allen, s. of Samuel Allen and his first wife Ann, b. on or after July 26, 1636 prob. at Braintree, Mass. He d. July 25, 1714 at Chilmark, Mass., Æ 78. He is interred at adjoining West Tisbury, Mass. at that town's Village Cemetery (g.s.), the land for which he granted in 1701 partly for the town's burying ground [Recs. of the Town of Tisbury, Mass. (Boston, 1903), p. 40]:
• Know all men by thes preasants that I James Allen of Chillmark do give and grant unto the Town of Tisbury an acker of Land Lying within abigall peses [Pease's] fence for Ever for a burying place and to set a meeting house on free from me my heirs or assigns for Ever. october 2d: 1701.
Confusion abounds regarding the origins of James Allen of Tisbury, Mass. Joshua Allen's 1882 edited work "A Genealogy of the Allen Family," first compiled by William Allen, materially errors in calling James Allen's father Samuel the son of George Allen and his wife Katherine, latter early settlers of Sandwich, Mass. George Allen d. testate and was buried at Sandwich May 2, 1648. His will mentions wife Katharine, his sons Matthew, Henry, Samuel and William plus "my five least children" who are unnamed [NEHGS Register, 4:284]. Subsequent deeds indicate George Allen's son Samuel was a resident of Boston, whereas James Allen's father Samuel was a longstanding resident of Braintree, Mass.
The same work errantly claims James Allen's wife was Elizabeth Perkins when she was Elizabeth Partridge. Charles Banks in his "History of Martha's Vineyard" (1925, vol. 3, p. 4) adopted the foregoing 1882 claimed identity of James Allen's wife as Elizabeth Perkins, noting such identity was "according to family tradition, although it cannot be definitely determined whether it is worthy of acceptance," and ultimately was not worthy of acceptance.
That James Allen's wife was the daughter of George Partridge and Sarah Tracy of Duxbury, Mass. is proved by the Duxbury, Mass. will of the widow Sarah (Tracy) Partridge, dated 1702 probated in 1708:
• I bequeath to my eight daughters, Sarah Allien [Allen], Triphosa West, Elizabeth Allien [Allen], Ruth Thatcher [Thacher], Mary Scif [Skiff], Rebeckah Fisher, Lidia Bruister [Brewster], Mercy Coburn [q.v., Colburn],...
• Ye sheep at ye vineyard [Martha's Vineyard] are my son [in-law] James Allein's by bargain.
Alternately, some writer's claim without justification that James Allen was one of George Allen's "five least children" when George had no documented son James.
By late 1662 (eldest child b. August 1663), James Allen m. Elizabeth Partridge, dau. of George Partridge and Sarah Tracy, b. on or aft. Aug. 9, 1643 at Duxbury, Mass. James' older brother Samuel had previously married Elizabeth's older sister Sarah. Elizabeth d. Aug. 8, 1722 at Chilmark, Mass., Æ 79, and is also interred at West Tisbury's Village Cemetery (g.s.).
James Allen and Elizabeth Partridge had twelve known children, the eldest three b. of record at Sandwich, Mass., the rest at the Town of Tisbury on the Island of Martha's Vineyard, at the time part of the Province of New York, now Dukes County, Mass.
The claim by Banks [History of Martha's Vineyard] that by 1686 James moved from Tisbury to Chilmark is not supported by the Tisbury Town records, as he was still a resident of Tisbury in 1692 if not still later:
• voted that James Allin & peter Robinson are Chosen and impowrd, by the town of tisbury, to goe and discovr the Indian Steven and Joseph Skeetup, & theire Company who have dwelt in seconquot & ye necks agasent [adjacent]. And to agree with said Indians, so, that thay, said Indians do quit Claim of said neeks, to the town of tisbury And yeld pesable possesion to the English, as Resonable as thay Cann to be under stood to agree with Steven, Joseph skeetup, sam nahommon & Joseph potobppan, as Resonable as thay Cann. date febrary 2: 1691-92: pr me Beniamin: Skiff: [town] clark.
The children of James Allen and Elizabeth Partridge, the respective date of birth proved either by a recorded birth or the relative date of birth based on a known gravestone, are:
• i. Amy Allen, b. Aug. 14, 1663 at Sandwich, Mass., d. Feb. 24, 1709/10 at Falmouth, Mass. (g.s., Æ 47); m. Dec. 7, 1683 prob. at Tisbury, Mass., Joseph Hatch, s. of Jonathan Hatch and Sarah Rowley. He was b. Mar. 7, 1652/3 at Barnstable, Mass. where he d. Feb. 16, 1735/6 (g.s., Æ 83). Ten children of the family.
• ii. Mary Allen, b. Dec. 22, 1665 at Sandwich, Mass., d. aft. May 1, 1725 at Windham, Conn.; m. Apr. 22, 1685 of record at Duxbury, Mass., Thomas Lasell, s. of John Lasell and Elizabeth Gates, b. Sept. 15, 1652 at Hingham, Mass. He d. May 1, 1725 at Windham, Conn. (g.s., Æ 73). Ten children of the family.
• iii. Abigail Allen, b. Dec. 28, 1667 at Sandwich, Mass., d. on or aft. Aug. 10, 1710 likely at Duxbury, Mass.; m. Dec. 13, 1688 of record at Duxbury, Samuel Seabury, Jr., s. of Dr. Samuel Seabury and Patience Kemp, b. Apr. 20, 1666 at Duxbury. Thirteen children of the family, but only five survived beyond the day of their birth.
• iv. Ruth Allen, b. on or aft. June 23, 1670 prob. at Tisbury, Mass., d. June 22, 1738 at Brewster, Mass. (g.s., Æ 68); m. by 1692 as his 1st wife, Capt. Edward Bangs, s. of Capt. Jonathan Bangs (Edward,1 of the 1623 Ann) and Mary Mayo, b. Sept. 30, 1665 at Eastham, Mass. He d. May 22, 1746 at Brewster, Mass. (g.s., Æ 81). Seven known children of the family.
• v. Ebenezer Allen, Esq., b. Mar. 1, 1671/2 at Tisbury, Mass., with the "History of Martha's Vineyard" claiming he d. May 14, 1733, his will of Feb. 6, 1730/1 proved June 14, 1733; m. Apr. 14, 1698 of record at Barnstable, Mass., Rebecca Russel (q.v. Russell), dau. of Rev. Jonathan Russel (Rev. Jonathan,2 Rev. John,1) and Martha Moody, b. July 7, 1681 at Hadley, Mass. She d. Dec. 3, 1761 as Ebenezer's widow and is interred at Barnstable, Mass. (g.s., Æ 81). Eleven children of the family.
• vi. Capt. James Allen, b. on or aft. Feb. 15, 1673/4 at Tisbury, d. Feb. 14, 1723/4 at Chilmark, Mass. (g.s., Æ 50); m. Mary Bourn, dau. of Shearjashub Bourn and Bathsheba Skiff, b. Oct. 21, 1678 at Sandwich, Mass. She d. of record at Chilmark May 20, 1722, Æ 44. The History of Martha's Vineyard claims they had eight named children, none being of connective birth record at Tisbury or Chilmark.
• vii. Ichabod Allen, b. circa 1676 at Tisbury, he died testate bet. the date of his will, Jan. 22, 1751, and its proof, Feb. 1, 1752; was as least thrice married: 1) Elizabeth Belcher, 2) Elizabeth (Symmons?), and 3) Elizabeth (Mayhew) Clifford. One recorded child, by 2nd wife Elizabeth. The History of Martha's Vineyard claims he had a 4th wife and nine total children.
• viii. Samuel Allen, b. on or aft. July 13, 1677 at Tisbury, d. July 12, 1755 at Chilmark, Mass. (g.s., Æ 78); m. Mary Tilton, dau. of Samuel Tilton and Hannah Moulton, who d. of record Dec. 25, 1756 at Chilmark (g.s., Æ 80). The History of Martha's Vineyard gives them six children although there is no direct connective birth reference to them in either the Tisbury or Chilmark vital records.
• ix. Col. John Allen, Esq., b. on or aft. Oct. 18, 1682 at Tisbury, d. Oct. 17, 1767 at Chilmark, Mass. (g.s., Æ 85); m. Mar. 1, 1716/7 prob. at Chilmark and likely by her father, Margaret Homes, dau. of Rev. William Homes and Katherine Craighead, b. Feb. 28, 1695/6 at Straban, co. Tyrone, Ireland. She d. Apr. 26, 1778 at Chilmark (g.s., Æ 83). Thirteen children of the family.
• x. Lieut. Joseph Allen, b. on or aft. Mar. 11, 1684/5 at Tisbury where he d. Mar. 10, 1726/7 (g.s., Æ 42); m. as her 1st husb., Patience Bourn, dau. of Shearjashub Bourn and Bathsheba Skiff, b. Apr. 20, 1686 at Sandwich, Mass. She d. Feb. 13, 1765 at Tisbury (g.s., Æ 79) as the widow of Jonathan Lumbert, but is interred under the married name of Allen. Three known children of the family.
• xi. Sarah Allen, b. circa 1687 at Tisbury, Mass., d. prob. at Windham, Conn.; m. Josiah Luce, s. of Henry Luce and Remember Litchfield, b. circa 1685 at Tisbury. He d. testate at Windham, Conn. bef. May 26, 1727, the date his will was proved. At least eight children of the family.
• xii. Rev. Benjamin Allen, b. on or aft. May 7, 1689 at Tisbury, d. May 6, 1754 at Cape Elizabeth (or Falmouth), Maine (g.s., Æ 65); m. Apr. 5, 1712 of record at Barnstable, Mass., Elizabeth Crocker, dau. of Dea. Job Crocker (William,1) and Hannah Taylor, b. May 15, 1688 at Barnstable. She survived her husband, but when and where she d. cannot be found. At least seven children of the family.
The above cited 1882 "Genealogy of the Allen Family" claims there was a 13th child, s. Moses b. circa 1694 (when his supposed mother was in excess of 50 years old) and died in 1722. However, no record can be found to support his existence as a child of the family. The History of Martha's Vineyard otherwise attributes a Moses as the eldest child of Ichabod Allen (James,2 Samuel,1) b. circa 1702 who d. Feb. 25, 1721/2.
Elizabeth Partridge Allen (1643 - 1722)*
Amey Allen Hatch (1663 - 1709)*
Mary Allen Lassell (1665 - ____)*
Abigail Allen Seabury (1667 - 1733)*
Ruth Allen Bangs (1670 - 1738)*
James Allen (1674 - 1724)*
Samuel Allen (1677 - 1755)*
Joseph Allen (1685 - 1727)*
HERE LYES THE
BODY OF JAMES
AGED 78 YEARS
DIED JULY ye 25th
On the day James died he was 77 years old, and Ætatis (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the X year of his Age) 78, indicating he was born on or after July 26, 1636.
West Tisbury Village Cemetery
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Tom Cummings
Record added: Oct 14, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5843893
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.