|Birth: ||May, 1862|
|Death: ||Aug. 1, 1925|
"Joseph Brooks Abrams" is inscribed on the gravestone; however, there are no written records for Joseph at Bonaventure Cemetery, but his 2nd wife Irene is recorded as being buried in this plot without her name on a gravestone. Records of a cemetery historian in Brunswick, Glynn Co., GA, where he and Irene resided, show that they were both buried in Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah, Chatham Co., GA.
The other gravestone in this Plot is for Morton Van Buren Haas, Sr. the son-in-law of Joseph and 1st wife "Tillie" Abrams (married to their daughter Elizabeth Frances Abrams). He is mentioned in the Codicil of Joseph's Will.
Joseph Brooks Abrams is the son of Alexander Abrams born SC and Elizabeth F. (Unknown) Abrams born SC.
1880 CENSUS: 02 Jun 1880; Taylor St., Savannah, Chatham, Georgia; Roll: 138; Family History Film: 1254138; Page: 464A; Enumeration District: 25; Image: 0491.
- 110½/46/46 Alexander Abrams, W, M, 63, Married, Accountant, b. South Carolina, Father b. England, Mother b. Germany
- Elizabeth F. Abrams, W, F, 59, Married, Keeping House, South Carolina, Father b. England, Mother b. South Ca.
- Maud Abrams, Son, W, M, 21, Single, Clerk in Store, b. Louisiana, Father b. South Ca., Mother b. S. Ca.
- Hamilton A. Abrams, Son, W, M, 20, Single, Clerk in Store, b. Louisiana, Father b. South Ca., Mother b. S. Ca.
- Joseph B. Abrams Son, W, M, 18, Single, Clerk in Store, b. Louisiana, Father b. S. Ca., Mother b. S. Ca.
- Emeline Perry[?Percy], B, F, 18, Servant, Single, Servant, b. South Carolina, Father b. S. Ca., Mother b. S. Ca.
- Martha Wade, B, F, 35 Servant, Married, Servant, Cannot read, Cannot write, b. South Carolina, Father b. S. Ca., Mother b. S. Ca.
1st WIFE: Matilda "Tillie" (Borchardt) Abrams (1871-1902); married 1890; buried in Oak Grove Cem., Brunswick, Glynn Co., GA.
Victor R. Abrams born Oct 1891 in GA.
Elizabeth Frances Abrams born Oct 1894 in GA; md. Morton Van Buren Haas, Sr.
Miriam Abrams born Jun 1896 in GA.
1900 CENSUS: 02 Jun 1900; Monk St., 26th Dist., Brunswick, Glynn, Georgia; Roll: T623_200; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 41.
- #801/47/53 J. B. Abrams, Head, W, M, May 1862, 38, Married 10 yrs., b. Louisiana, Father b. S. Carolina, Mother b. S. Carolina, Agent Life Insurance, Can read, Can write, Can speak English, Rents house.
- Matilda, Wife, W, F, Apr 1872, 28, Married 10 yrs., Mother of 4 children, 3 living, b. Georgia, Father b. Germany, Mother b. Germany, Can read, Can write, Can speak English.
- Victor R., Son, W, M, Oct 1891, 8, Single, b. Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. Georgia, Student
- Elizabeth, Daughter, W, F, Oct 1894, 5, Single, b. Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. Georgia
- Miriam, Daughter, W, F, Jun 1896, 3, Single, b. Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. Georgia
Lucy Dunkin, Servant, B, F, May 1873, 27, Widow, b. Tennessee, Father b. Tennessee, Mother b. Tennessee
Neighbor: Jacob Michelson & family
2nd WIFE: Irene E. (Putzel) Abrams b. 15 Apr 1881 in Savannah, Chatham Co., GA. They married in Savannah in 1906.
Frederica ABRAMS born cOct 1907 in GA. Named for her maternal grandmother Frederica (Unknown) Putzel.
1910 CENSUS: 21 Apr 1910; Newcastle St., City of Brunswick, Ward 3, Glynn, Georgia; Roll: T624_187; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 0070; Image: 484; FHL Number: 1374200.
- #147/149 Joseph B. Adams[correction Abrams], Head, M, W, 48, Married, b. Louisiana, Father b. South Carolina, Mother b. South Carolina, Speaks English, Packer, Oysters, Can read, Can write, house not farm.
- Irene P. Adams[Abrams], Wife, F, W, 29, Married, b. Georgia, Father b. New York, Mother b. Germany, Speaks English, Trade – None, Can read, Can write.
- Victor R. Adams[Abrams], Son, M, W, 18, Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. South Carolina, Speaks English, Can read, Can write, Attended School.
- Elizabeth Adams[Abrams], Daughter, F, W, 16, Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. South Carolina, Speaks English, Can read, Can write, Attended School.
- Miriam Adams[Abrams], Daughter, F, W, 14, Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. South Carolina, Speaks English, Can read, Can write, Attended School.
- Frederika[Frederica] Adams[Abrams], F, W, 2½, Georgia, Father b. Louisiana, Mother b. South Carolina, Speaks English.
1920 CENSUS; 09 Jan 1920; Union St., Brunswick, Ward 2, Glynn Co., GA; Roll: T625_259; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 90; Image: 137.
- 1323/142/180 Joseph B. Abrams, 56, b. Louisiana, Packer
- June[actually Irene - transcription error] Abrams, 39, b. Georgia
- Freda Abrams, 12
- Miriam Abrams, 22
U. S. City Directories 1821-1989 (Polk's Brunswick City Directory): In 1921, 1923, and 1925, Joseph is shown as the President of Glynn Canning Co. and he and Irene are residing at 917 Egmont, Brunswick, Glynn Co., GA.
U. S. City Directories 1821-1989 (Polk's St. Simons Island Directory): In 1944, Irene Abrams (wid of Jos B) is residing on Railroad Ave. SE cor 1st, Saint Simons Island, Glynn Co., GA.
LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of Joseph Brooks Abrams, 8 April 1919:
Will Book H, Pp. 110 & 111
[Glynn County Probate Court]
Georgia, Glynn County
I, J.B. Abrams, of said State and County, being of sound mind and memory, and desiring to dispose of my estate do hereby make, publish and declare this my last will and testament, hereby revoking and annulling all other wills and codicils thereto by me at any time heretofore made.
Item I. I give, devise and bequeath, after my just debts have been paid, all of my property and estate, both real and personal, and all stocks and bonds, or to which my estate may or may become entitled to my wife, Irene Putzel Abrams, save and except the bequests to my daughter Elizabeth Abrams Hass, and my daughter Miriam Abrams and my son Victor R. Abrams, as set out in Item second hereof.
Item II. I direct that the proceeds of that policy of insurance upon my life in the sum of Five Thousand ($5,000.00) Dollars and payable to my estate shall be divided and paid as follows: One Thousand ($1000.00) Dollars each to be paid to my said daughter Elizabeth and my said Son Victor, and Three Thousand ($3,000.00) Dollars to my said daughter Miriam in the event that she (Miriam) is unmarried, but if married then the sum of One Thousand ($1,000.00) Dollars, and in which later event the remaining Two Thousand ($2,000.00) Dollars shall to my said wife Irene. Whereas in addition to the aforesaid policy, I have certain other insurance upon my life, as represented by the existing policies of insurance and payable to certain of my children in the amounts and in the manner therein indicated, but at this time being uncertain as to the amount in the aggregate under said policies payable to my son Victor, and desiring that my said son at my death should receive the sum of Sixteen Hundred and sixty six ($1,666.00) Dollars (in addition to the sum of One Thousand ($1,000.00) Dollars above indicated) from my said life insurance, therefore I hereby direct my executrix, in the event the amount to be receive by my son from said policies is less than the said sum of $1,666.00 to pay in cash to my said son from the assets of my estate such a sum sufficient in amount as to total the said sum of $1,666.00; it being distinctly understood, however, that nothing herein contained shall in any way be construed as making any of my life insurance as part of my estate unless said policy or policies shall so indicate.
Item III. I hereby nominate and appoint my said wife, Irene, to be the Executrix of this my last will and testament, including all codicils hereto, and I hereby direct that said executrix shall not be required to give bond and security as such in this State or in any State where it may be necessary for her to act; and she is hereby given full power and authority to lease, sell and dispose of my estate, both real and personal, either at public or private sale, at any time and in any manner which may seem to her most advantageous, and so to do without obtaining the sanction or order of any Court or Judge thereof; and as such executrix she is hereby relieved of making any official report of her acts or doings.
In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand on this the 8th day of April 1919, in Brunswick, Glynn County, Ga.
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the above named, J.B. Abrams, as his last will and testament in the presence of each of us, who at his request and in the presence of him, and of each other, have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto.
This the 8th day of April 1919.
B. Clyde Brown
Mrs. Clyde Brown
State of Georgia, Glynn County
I, Joseph B. Abrams, of said County, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, do make and declare this writing to be a codicil to my will dated April 8th, 1919, hereto attached, and do hereby revoke anything that may be contained in said attached will inconsistent with or contrary to the provisions of this codicil.
Item I. I give and bequeath unto Morton Hass, Sr.[Morton Van Buren Haas, Sr.] of Savannah, Georgia, in trust for his son, Morton Haas, Jr., my grandson, the sum of $1,000 in cash to be paid to said Morton Haas, Sr., as trustee for his said son, as soon after my death as this may be done conveniently, and to be held and invested by him for the use and benefit of said son. Said trustee shall invest and hold the annual income from said trust fund as a part of the corpus thereof until said Morton Haas, Jr., arrives of age, when the corpus and all accretions thereto shall be paid over to him.
Witness of all of which I have hereunto set my hand this May 23rd, 1922, at Brunswick, Georgia.
Joseph B. Abrams
Signed, published and declared by Joseph B. Abrams as a codicil to his last will and testament in the presence of the undersigned, who subscribe their names hereto as witnesses at the instance and request of said testator and in his presence, and in the presence of each other, at Brunswick, Georgia, this May 23rd, 1922.
J.P. Davenport, Brunswick, Georgia
Wm. F. Parker, Brunswick, Georgia
Alexander Rotholz, Brunswick, Georgia
Georgia, Glynn County
Before the undersigned in person appeared Irene P. Abrams, who having been first duly sworn deposes and says on oath that the foregoing writings purposing to be the last will of Joseph B. Abrams, and a codicil thereto are, so far as she knows or believes, the true last will of said Joseph B. Abrams and a true codicil thereto; and that she will well and truly execute the same in accordance with the laws of the State.
Irene P. Abrams
Sworn to and subscribed before me this August 10th, 1925. Edwin W. Dart, Ordinary, Glynn County, Georgia.
~ Bio compiled by Meredith Drew Trawick
Matilda Borchardt Abrams (1871 - 1902)
Irene E. Putzel Abrams (1881 - ____)
Plot: ? Section P; Lot 145
Created by: Meredith Drew Trawick
Record added: Nov 27, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 101347006