This young woman died from tuberculosis. She and her brother were diagnosed with the disease the same year. Her brother, Hugh, was sent to Montana in hopes that the dry climate there would help him overcome the disease. He was murdered by two Cheyenne Indians in what has become known as the Hugh Boyle Incident. The two ended up dying the same year.
Family members and Find a Grave Memorial Numbers:
Father: Patrick Boyle - (1828-1906) - #90802310
Mother: Catherine Lynch Boyle - (1832-1909) - #90802417
Sister: Mary Boyle - (1860-1927)- #90802445
Sister: Ellen Boyle - (1865-1890) - #399003691
Brother: Hugh Boyle - (1869 - 1890) - #39903490
Brother: Patrick Boyle (Champaign)*
Brother: John Boyle of Findlay*
Brother: Frank Boyle of Thomasboro*
Brother: Thomas Boyle of Decatur*
Sister: Mrs. Anna Junkersfeld of Chicago*
* There were 10 children in this family according to Catherine's obituary in the evening edition of the Champaign Daily News on Saturday June 12, 1909, page 5. The ones with an * are listed as surviving children in Catherine Lynch Boyle's obituary. No death records or grave sites have been located for any of them to date - May 2012.
Catherine Lynch Boyle's brother, Bernard Lynch, created a detailed, though difficult to follow, family tree for the Lynch family dating back into the 1700s. Interestingly, in 2008 identical worn copies were found both in Ireland and in Montana. It is pasted below in its entirety.
Sketch of the Lynch Family of Cavan and Meath by Bernard Lynch, Champagne , Ill.
In 1712 A.D. Bernard Lynch left his home in Castletown, Delvin, Co. Meath as a result of a political quarrel with British tyranny and settled at Crosskeys, Co. Cavan. He became apprenticed to a blacksmith named Galligan from whom he learned his trade and later married his daughter. He had seven sons.
Youngest son settled in Derrylea one mile south of Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan in 1736. Here he followed his trade farming.
Married Catherine Galligan by whom he had five sons and two daughters.
1. Edward. Died unmarried.
2. Bryan. Was ordained to the priesthood and died in 1814. Was buried in the old Catholic burial ground at Crosserlough, Co. Cavan where his tomb remains to the present.
3. James. Was married in Kilnacrott and had four sons.
a. Edward married Julia McCabe finally settling in Drumr, Co. Cavan. Had family of seven sons and two daughters. Five sons died without issue.
b. Michael settled in Philadelphia, U.S.A., where dying left one daughter, Bessie, who was married and trace lost of her.
c. Henry married and living in Colorado has two daughters. Mary married John Smyth and lives at Drumrora Victorian Cottage, Ballyjamesduff. Had a large family. Thomas a son and two daughters live at home in Ireland and two other daughters and one son reside at St. Louis, Mo.
d. Patrick. Married in Kilnacrott had large family three sons and four girls. - Patrick settled at Joliet, Will Co., Ill. Married and has large family of sons and daughters, some living on farm and in Chicago.
- Thomas settled in Waterbury, Conn., and has large family living there.
- James ordained to the priesthood became Vicar General of the diocese of New Haven, Conn., and died recently.
e. Anne eldest daughter of the above Henry married Patrick Lynch, had large family and came to America and settled in Conn.
- Ellen Lynch, second daughter of Henry married ???? McCabe, Arlow parish of Mullagh, Co. Cavan. Had large family some of which came to America and settled in Conn. with friends.
- Julia Lynch, third daughter of Henry married a man named Clerkin, native of Ballyjamesduff, settled and resides with her father in Conn.
- Mary Lynch, fourth daughter of Henry Lynch, married Hugh Smyth of Drumrora and their family is living in Ireland.
f. Pat Smyth is living on a farm in Joliet, Will Co., Ill.
g. James Smyth was ordained to the priesthood and is at present stationed at Bridgeport, Conn.
h. Anne Lynch, second daughter of Edward Lynch and Julia McCabe, married Barney Sheridan and is now living with her family at Creston, Iowa.
i. Thomas Lynch, third son of James Lynch, married Mary Smyth, Wood??, Ballyjamesduff and resides now with large family in Illinois, U.S.A.
j. Anne Lynch, eldest daughter of Thomas Lynch and Mary Smyth married Michael McCarthy, now living in Champagne City, Ill., and has large family.
k. Mary, second daughter of above Thomas Lynch and Mary Smyth, lives unmarried in Ireland.
l. Partick, eldest son of Thomas Lynch, is married and lives at Pesotum, Champaign Co., Ill. Has two sons living and one daughter died when young.
m. Patrick Lynch, fourth son of James Lynch of Kilnacrott married and some of his family came to America but have been unable to locate them.
Married Nellie Daly, settled on the old homestead of Derrylea and had family of four sons and six daughters, namely Bryan, Thomas, Hugh and Henry, Kitty, Mary, Anne, Margaret, Alice and Nellie.
a. Bryan. First son married Catherine Gaffney of Keenagh, Ballyjamesduff. His …. A son Thomas.
- Thomas married Bridget Smyth of Lackin, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, Ireland. Is living at Finaway same county on his farm.
- Thomas, second son of Pat Lynch, married Anne McDonald and settled in Kilnacrott, Ballyjamesduff. Had large family, Patrick, Hugh, Barney, Thomas, Nellie, Kitty, Mary, Anne and Margaret Lynch.
- Patrick, oldest son, married Julia McEvoy, lived on fathers farm in Kilnacrott and died without issue.
- Barney, died unmarried, in New Brittain, Conn., unmarried.
- Hugh? Married Margaret Hanley and settled in New Britton, Conn. Had large family of sons and one daughter.
- Thomas. Went to Civil War in America and it is supposed he died in a hospital.
- Nellie. Oldest daughter of Thomas Lynch and Anne McDonald, married Thomas Black, Finaway, Co. Cavan, Ireland. In 1840 at death of her husband she came to America and settled with her sons John and Thomas Black and daughters Catherine and Anne Black in New Britain, Conn., where having died a few years ago, she is buried.
- Kitty. Sister of Nellie Lynch married Bryan Daly of Kilnacrott. Has tow children, Kitty in New Britain and William in Hartford, Conn.
- Anne. Died unmarried and is buried in New Britain, Conn.
- Mary. Married Peter Reynolds, Kill, Kilnacrott, Co. Cavan, Ireland and has large family there.
- Margaret. 5th daughter married Pat Kearnan and settled in New Britain, Conn. Has large family with whom she resides.
3rd son of Pat Lynch and Nellie Daly married Mary Clark, Kildorough, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, Ireland. (Daughter of John Clark and Mary ‘Nellie' Conway). Lived in Ballyjamesduff and died there April 13th 1849. Had large family all who came to America namely Bernard, Pat, James, Thomas, John, Catherine and Ellen Lynch.
Oldest son of Hugh? Lynch and Mary Clark married Margaret??? (Byron's note: married Bridget Reilly … see below)
(author of this sketch) came to America April 11, 1858. Married to Bridget Reilly, daughter of Peter Reilly and Anne ‘Nancy' Smythe, Rosoden, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, Ireland in 1861 at Church of Paulist Fathers 59th. St. and 9th. Ave. New York City. Came to Champagne City, Illinois, April 1863. Had family, three sons, John, Thomas, Henry and Kitty Lynch.
Patrick Lynch (2nd son of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Married Margaret Callan of Coolkill, Kilnaleck, Co. Cavan. Family consists of daughters Mary, Katie, Rose, Lena, Alice, Maggie and Annie and one son Hugh. They settled in Lame Deek Creek, Custer County, Montana where they now reside.
James (3rd son of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Married Anne Kearns in New York City and settled in Champagne City, Illinois. Had family of one son James E. Lynch and daughter Katie (who married John Barry who is farming in Nebraska) and daughters Margaret Ellen and Alice, unmarried.
Thomas (4th son of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Married Mary Farley of Virginia Co. and settled in Astoria, Long Island, New York. Had family Hugh, Thomas, Charlie and John and daughters Annie, Maggie and Nellie Lynch.
John (5th son of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Lives in Astoria, Long Island, N.Y., unmarried.
Catherine (eldest daughter of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Married Pat Boyle, a native of Nobber, Co. Meath and settled in Champaign City. Had family of four sons John, Thomas, Frank and Pat and daughters Annie and Mary (+ son Hugh, died Montana)
Ellen (2nd daughter of Hugh Lynch and Mary Clark)
Married Hugh Gaffney, Keenagh, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, Ireland. Had family of three sons and seven daughters and they settled at Lame Deer Creek, Montana.
Henry Lynch (4th son of Pat Lynch and Nellie Daly)
Married Nellie McConnell, Kilnaleck,. Settled on the old homestead and has large family of sons and daughters, amongst them were Pat, Bryan, James and Kitty but others forgotten.
Kitty Lynch (eldest daughter of Pat Lynch and Nellie Daly)
Married Pat Lynch, native of Maghera Parish of Lurgan, Virginia, Co. Cavan. Had family of sons Barney, Phill, Laurence and one daughter Bridget.
- Barney, eldest son of Kitty and Pat Lynch, married Catherine Gray, native of County Longford. Came to America in 1852, settling finally at Ramsey, Fayette Co., Ill. Had family two sons, Bernard Jr. and Henry Lynch and several daughters,
Bernard Jr. eldest son off the above is an engineer on the Cloverleaf Railroad.
Henry his brother is firing a locomotive on the Illinois Central R.R Two of the daughters are married and live around the old home.
Phil Lynch 2nd son of Kitty and Pat Lynch settled at Vallego,Callifornia and is a prosperous merchant there.
Laurence his brother died unmarried in San Francisco.
Henry 4th son of Kitty and Pat Lynch resides in New York and has two sons John and Pat Lynch.
Brigdet only daughter of Pat and Kitty Lynch married Patrick Bates and has a large family of daughters and one son Edward.
Edward,son off the above is an engineer on the Illinois Central R.R
Mary Lynch daughter of Pat Lynch and Nellie Daly married Michael Maher has family of sons John, William and James and daughters Kitty, Ellen,Margaret and Bridget.
Saint Marys Cemetery
Created by: Catherine Byron
Record added: Jul 26, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 39903691