|Birth: ||Nov. 14, 1885|
|Death: ||Nov. 29, 1926|
Nena was the only child of Eolah Brown Langley and Stephen Brummett Brinson of Waynesboro Burke County Georgia.Nena married a woodworker named Atticus Roland Brown, December 30, 1903. This photograph was taken on her wedding day. They had 4 daughters, Margaret,Frances-nicknamed:Dinky, Mary, and Betty .Tragically little "Dinky" died in an accidental fire at the age of 8 while standing next to a fireplace a flame caught her clothing, born April-23-1910 died March-20-1919. Nena desperately tried to put the fire out with her own hands and burned her hands very badly.Little Dinky died in the hospital. Nena died a few years later at age 41 from Turberculosis, some people say she died from a broken heart. Nena is my great grandmother.
Nena rest beside her mother Eolah Brown Langly Brinson, Little Dinky and infant baby son Atticus Roland Brown, Jr. who died at birth 9-30-1906, at West View cemetary in Augusta.
The 3rd photo is Nena's mother Eolah Brinson who is standing right in the stripe dress next to her sister Josie around the civil war in 1865. Eolah was known to be fearless woman who had once stood up to the Yankee toops as they threatened to burn her home in S.C., she covered the home with water from her well and told the Yankees to leave. As the story has been told. Eolah later died in the Flu epidemic born March,3,1845 died Nov,26,1918.
The Brown family origins came from Wales,England..
Newspaper story from March 1919:
LITTLE GIRL IS BURNED TO DEATH
"DINKY" BROWN FORMER DAWSON CHILD, VICTIM OF FATAL ACCIDENT IN AUSGUSTA.
Friends of Mr. and Mrs. A.R.Brown, former well known citizens of Dawson, will be shocked and grieved to learn of the tragic death of their little daughter, frances, better known in this city by her nickname "Dinky". From the Augusta Chronicle we clip this notice of the distressing accident:
"The entire Woodlawn section of the city was shocked by the tragic death of little Frances, the 8 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Brown, which occurred at the family residence, 1462 Walton Way,1:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The child was standing before a open grate when suddenly her clothing became ignited and soon her body was wrapped in flames. In an affort to extinguish the fire the hands of the brave mother were terribly injured, two of the fingers being burned to the bone. Immediately after the accident the little girl was rushed to the University hospital, where medical aid was given, but the burns were so sever the she died after six hours of terrible suffering."
The little girl was remarkably bright and interesting, and during her residence here was a favorite not only with her little playmates but many of the older people was attracted by her winsome personality.
In a pivate letter to Mrs. Dan Flinn little Marguerite Brown gives a touching description of the beautiful funeral service and outpouring of the people of the Woodlawn section of the city, each bringing flowers and literally covering the little grave and all the space surrounding the blossoms..
"SPECIAL THANKS TO MEDORA FOR SPONSORING NENA'S SITE, THAT IS SUPER THOUGHTFUL & KIND OF YOU!!"
Betty Langley Brown Fleming (1914 - 1976)*
West View Cemetery
Created by: Melissas sis
Record added: Sep 29, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5809244