|Birth: ||Nov. 11, 1847, Denmark|
|Death: ||Apr. 10, 1928|
Obituary – Alexandria Citizen News, April 12, 1928, pg. 6, col. 6
J.C. Anderson Dies
Jens C. Anderson of Alexandria Township, east of this city (Alexandria), died of heart failure Tuesday morning at 3:30 o'clock.
Mr. Anderson had been in failing health for some years, being a sufferer from dropsy. His daughter, Mrs. Ole Martin, has been living with him and cared for him during the past number of years.
Jens Christian Anderson was born in Denmark, November 11, 1847, and since 1884 he had been a resident of the United States.
His wife preceded him in death. He leaves to mourn his passing, three daughters and two sons. They are: Mrs. Ole Martin and Mrs. Soren (Lizzie) Jensen, of Nelson, and Mrs. E.F. Appley, Burnstad, North Dakota, Nels C. Anderson, Osakis, and Andrew C. Anderson, Carpio, North Dakota. There are twenty grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 1:15 from Anderson's Chapel and at the Danish Church at Nelson at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. H.P. Anderson of Osakis. Interment will be in the church cemetery.
This information is found at the findagrave.com page for their biological daughter.
Elise Thomine Anderson was born in Skæve, Hjørring, Denmark to Jens Christian Anderson and Ane Catherine Nielson. She emigrated with her parents and 3 sisters in 1884. They came to Alexandria Township/Nelson where her father purchased land and where his older brother Niels Christian had come 16 years earlier (the brothers were almost 20 years apart in age!) Because Niels and his wife (Kirsten) had no children of their own and to help the new emigrants, 2 year old Elise went to live with her Uncle and Aunt and was raised as their own daughter.
In 1880 was a census in Denmark, and this shows the family:
Hjørring county, Dronninglund, Skæve parish, Birkholtsmark (place in the parish) , , Et hus, 77 (6), FT-1880
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Jens Kristian Andersen 32 Gift Husfader, Husejer, Daglejer i Agerbr[ug] Her i sognet
Ane Katrine Nielsen 32 Gift Hans Kone Her i sognet
Karoline Kristine Andersen 7 Ugift [Deres Børn] Her i sognet
Elsine Maria Andersen 2 Ugift [Deres Børn] Her i sognet
They were all born there in the parish, they owned their house. Jens Kristian Andersen age 32, married head of household, homeowner, working for others as a day laborer in farm work.
His wife is Ane Katrine Nielsen, age 32.
Karoline Kristine Andersen, age 7 (in 1880)
Elsine Maria Andersen, age 2 (in 1880)
The daughter Elise/Eliza/Lizzie Andersen, who married Søren Jensen, was already with her adoptive family in 1885. The nephew listed with them is the son of Hans Jensen, and brother of Søren Jensen. Eliza later married Søren.
name: N C Anderson
residence: Alexandria Township, Douglas, Minnesota
age: 56 years
estimated birth year: 1829
family number: 45
page number: 7
film number: 000565737
Household Gender Age Birthplace
N C Anderson M 56y Denmark
Christina Anderson F 45y Denmark
Chris H Jensen M 22y Denmark
Eliza Anderson F 2y Denmark
N.C. Anderson is the brother of Jens Christian Andersen,who is the biological father of Eliza/Lizzie Anderson Jensen.
Christina (Kirsten) Anderson is the sister of Hans Jensen, of Osakis township, Douglas county. And the aunt of Søren Jensen, Lizzie's future husband.
From the Herbert and Lina Swore Olson family, by Judy A., (document at the Douglas County Historical Society)
Jens Christian Anderson (Andersen in Denmark) and spouse Anna Katrena (Cathrine?) Nielsen married about 1872 and came to Minnesota about 1884.
Jens was born in Jutland, Denmark, Nov. 11, 1847, and his father and mother were Andrew (Anders?) and Christina Andersen (maybe not Andersen, since Denmark used the patronynimic naming system).
Jens and Anna lived and farmed their entire lives on the place they settled when they first came to Minnesota. They were very poor, and it was hard for them to take care of their family. Jens died April 10, 1928 of heart failure. Anna died October 6, 1922 of dementia.
The children of Jens and Anna were:
1. Carolyn (Carrie or Caroline Christine) b. JUne 5, 1872 in Denmark. Married Ole Wilhelm Martin, Nov. 17, 1895. Carrie and Ole farmed south of Nelson, MN next to Jens and Anna. They had 13 children. Carrie died Oct. 20, 1945, and is buried in the Nelson Cemetery.
2. Niels Peter Andersen (Nov 18, 1874 - May 20, 1878) Born and died in Denmark.
3. Elsie (Else) Marie was born June 8, 1877 in Denmark, died May 26, 1925. Never married, buried in the Nelson Cemetery.
4. Nelzena (Zena) b. Denmark. Married E. F. Apley, lived in Burnstad, ND. Had 7 children. He name could be spelled the traditional Danish way, Nelsine, or Nielsina Petrine Anderson. She died June 2, 1959 in Portland, Oregon.
5. Elise Thomine (Lizzy) was born June 12, 1882 in Denmark. From the age of 2, Elise lived with Jens' brother Nils and his wife Kjersten, who had come to Minnesota a few years before Jens, and who did not have children of their own. Elise married Soren Jensen, son of Hans and Inger Jensen of Osakis township, and they farmed west of Nelson in Alexandria township, until their retirement. Elise and Soren had five children. Soren died in 1961 and Elise died January 30, 1970.
6. Anders (Andrew) Christian Anderson was born May 14, 1888 and was baptized in the Danish Lutheran Church in Nelson on Aug 7, 1888. He served in WW1. Andrew married Myrtle Florence Lee, and they lived in Carpio, ND, then Seattle Washington, where he passed away April 22, 1963. He and his wife had several children.
7. Nels Christian Anderson, b. March 20, 1885, died April 10, 1929
Anne C. Anderson (1847 - 1922)
Caroline Christine Anderson Martin (1872 - 1945)*
Elsie M. Anderson (1877 - 1926)*
Elise Thomine Anderson Jensen (1882 - 1970)*
Nels Christian Anderson (1885 - 1929)*
Note: Born: Denmark Died: Alexandria, Minnesota Spouse: Anne C. Anderson
Plot: Sec. 2 Blk. 38 Lot 3W
GPS (lat/lon): 45.87784, -95.25391
Created by: Rose
Record added: Oct 07, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 98443425