|Birth: ||Nov. 11, 1799|
North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Feb. 15, 1877|
JOSIAH CLIFTON was born in Surry County, North Carolina and married SARAH JANE 'SALLY' FRENCH in Adair County, Kentucky. She is the daughter of Revolutionary Soldier, JOHN ELSON FRENCH and wife, DOLLY SPENCER. JOSIAH CLIFTON is the son of JOB CLIFTON of Lincoln (Casey) County, Kentucky; formerly of Surry County, North Carolina.
CHILDREN of JOSIAH and SALLY CLIFTON are:
(1) Dinah Clifton born 28 May 1820 in Casey County County, Kentucky; married first Samuel H. Robb; second, James Andrew Scott and last, Martin Scott. She died 1 Apr 1905 in Daviess County, Missouri.
(2) James Alexander Clifton born 28 Mr 1822 in Casey County, Kentucky; died 4 Mar 1875 in Texas; married Elizabeth Harper on 14 Mar 1844 in Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa.
(3) Francis Milton Clifton born 13 Feb 1824 in Casey Count, Kentucky; married Lorrenna Dimmon on 25 Nov 1846 in Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa.
(4) Dolly Clifton born 1 Feb 1826 in Shelby County (Macon County), Illinois; married Bartley Greenwood on 30 Mar 1843 in Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa.
(5) Elizabeth 'Betsy' Clifton born 1 Jan 1828 in Macon County, Illinois; died 1866 in St. George, Utah; married Daniel Rexford on 22 Feb 1846 in Ft. Madison, Lee County, Iowa.
(6) Isaiah Clifton born 28 Sep 1829 in Macon County, Illinois.
(7) Sophia Clifton born 17 Apr 1831 in Macon County, Illinois; married Fleming Paine on 6 Jun 1849 in North Lee County, Iowa.
(8) Josiah Clifton born 17 Jun 1833 in Macon County, Illinois.
(9) John F. Clifton born 18 Feb 1835 in Macon County, Illinois; died 1869 in Lavaca County, Texas; married Martha Ellen Stutsman on 19 Jan 1854 in Clark County, Missouri, while living in Lee County, Iowa.
(10) Thomas L. Clifton born 21 Aug 1836 in Macon County, Illinois; married Malisa Isabella Hull on 11 Jul 1861 in Lavaca County, Texas.
(11) Job Clifton born 5 Jun 1838 in Macon County, Illinois; married Sarah O'Boile in Texas.
Note: DeWitt County was formed in 1839 from Macon County.
Note: Josiah left Illinois after 1838.
(12) Sarah Jane 'Sally' Clifton born 20 Oct 1840 in Lee County, Iowa; died 3 Jan 1911 in Reed, Greer County, Oklahoma; buried in Reed Cemetery; married Henry Foley on 23 Aug 1860 in Lavaca County, Texas.
(13) William J. Clifton born 4 May 1842 in Lee County, Iowa.
During the Black Hawk War of 1831/2, JOSIAH CLIFTON enlisted in Decatur, Macon County, Illinois, serving as a private in Capt. I. C. Pugh's Company, 5th Regiment of Mounted Volunteers, an Illinois Militia commanded by Col. James Johnson and under the command of Brig. Gen. Samuel Whitesides.
While living in Macon County, Illinois, JOSIAH CLIFTON was listed as a County Commissioner in 1837-38. After moving to Lee County, Iowa, JOSIAH CLIFTON was a member of the Iowa State Legislature serving in the House of Representatives from Lee County during its First General Assembly.
JOSIAH CLIFTON and some of his children then migrated to Texas. After Sally died, Josiah married Rosina Conway on 18 Jul 1868 in Lavaca County, Texas. Josiah was living near or with his son, Thomas L. Clifton in Bastrop County, when he died. It is most likely that Josiah is buried in Watterson Community Cemetery in unmarked grave as other Cliftons are buried there also. His son Thomas was probably a ranch hand on the Watterson Ranch.
Job Clifton (1768 - 1848)
Sarah Jane French Clifton (1799 - 1865)*
Dinah Clifton Scott (1820 - 1905)*
John F. Clifton (1835 - 1869)*
Sarah Jane Clifton Foley (1840 - 1911)*
Nancy Clifton Davenport (1791 - 1845)*
Isaiah Clifton (1793 - 1841)*
Josiah Clifton (1799 - 1877)
Watterson Community Cemetery
Created by: Patricia Michel
Record added: May 27, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 111235419