|Birth: ||Oct. 8, 1815|
|Death: ||Dec. 9, 1893|
Menke Harms Blink was born in October 1815 in the country village of Garsthuizen, in the midnorthern part of the Dutch northeastern province Groningen, son of the 43 years aged day-laborer Harm Menkes and Anje Pieters [Bouwman].
Farm hand Menke Harms Blink married on 31 October 1840 in Loppersum, Groningen, to the six years younger servant maid Anje Jans van der Laan, born in Loppersum, in the northeastern part of province Groningen, daughter of day laborers Jan Jans van der Laan and Aaltje Hindriks Hollenhuis.
* Anna, 14 February 1841, Garsthuizen, municipality (gemeente) Stedum, died 8 days later;
* Anna, 31 December 1841, Garsthuizen, gemeente Stedum, died in 1898, Chicago, USA;
* Aaltje, 17 December 1845, Startenhuizen, gem. Kantens, died 6 June 1846, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt;
* Aaltje, 31 July 1847, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt, died 22 December 1847, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt;
* Harm, 22 September 1849, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt;
* Jan, 2 August 1853, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt;
* Hindrik, 18 April 1857, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt, died 21 June 1857, Zeerijp, gem. 't Zandt;
* stillborn, 10 October 1858, 't Zandt;
* Aaltje, 9 March 1860, 't Zandt;
* Anje, 26 May 1864, 't Zandt.
Their father Menke (Harms) Blink was in 1841 a laborer, in the years 1845-1864 a day laborer.
His wife Anje van der Laan, laborer, died on 26 May 1864 at the age of 43 years in the childbed of daughter Anje in 't Zandt. This was also the reason why this daughter was called for her mother: Anje.
Day laborer Menke Blink remarried on 7 October 1865 in 't Zandt, Groningen, Netherlands at the age of 49 years to the one year younger widow and laborer, Wibbegien Ates Haan, born on 21 August 1818 in Leermens, Groningen.
Menke Blink emigrated in 1867 with his second wife Wibbegien and his two youngest daughters Aaltje and Anje to Chicago, Illinois, USA. Source: Robert Swierenga.
On 10 October 1868, when his daughter Anna (1841, Garsthuizen) married in Appingedam, Groningen to Jan Pool, her father Menke Harms Blink was a day laborer in Chicago, North America.
He moved between 1880 and 1885 from Chicago to Iowa, Sioux County, where he died in 1893 at the age of 82 years in Alton, just a few miles southeast of the Dutch settlement Orange City.
In the Saturday December 16, 1893 Alton Democrat was this brief death article:
M. Blink, a respected old gentleman residing east of town died of old age last Saturday. The funeral services were held at the Reformed Church, Tuesday afternoon a 2:00.
John Blink (1853 - 1938)*
Created by: Peter Hakze
Record added: Nov 21, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 120637494
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.