South Carolina, USA
Hillary was born in Union District, South Carolina. His parents Moses Curtis and Martha "Patsey" Curtis were found on the 1800 federal census. After Hillary's mother Patsey died (before 1810), he and his father Moses Curtis stayed in Union District, South Carolina where they appear on the 1810 federal census. Hillary and his siblings then went with their father Moses Curtis to Jackson County, Tennessee where Hillary and Moses can both be found in separate households on the 1820 federal census. Hillary's father Moses Curtis died in Jackson County, Tennessee after the 1830 federal census was taken.
Hillary Curtis Sr. married Susannah Gulley b. abt 1797 in Virginia, daughter of Revolutionary War soldier John Gulley. Their son Bilbray Curtis was born about 1816 in Jackson County, Tennessee.
By 1837, Hillary Sr. and Susannah were in Tishomingo County, Mississippi; they appear on the 1845 Territorial & State Census for Tishomingo County; they appear on the 1850 federal census for Tishomingo County, Mississippi. In the home that day, Sept. 6, 1850, were Hillary, wife Susannah, and children: George 23, Jane 18, James 14, all born in Tennessee, and Hannah 12, born in Mississippi.
On August 29, 1860, Hillary, age 65, and Susannah, age 64, were enumerated on the federal census at Rock Hill p.o., Independence, Pope County, Arkansas. There were no children in the household.
Neither Hillary Sr nor wife Susannah can be found on the 1870 federal census.
Hillary Curtis Sr and wife Susannah Gulley were the parents of the following known children (as of my research through August 23, 2012):
1. BILBRAY CURTIS, b. 1816 Jackson Co TN, d. bef. 1870 Pope Co Ark; married cousin Elizabeth Curtis. Children: William Moses Sr. m. Jemima Jane Bullard; Mary Linsey m. Charles Holmes; Carrie Ann m. William B. Bramlett; George Thomas "Black Tom" m. Louisiana Catherine "Lucy" Branch; m. Rhoda Rebecca Hurst Williams; Frances "Fanny" m. Benjamin Howard; Amanda Jane (she may have married Robert Petty or a Thomas Johnson); Sarah E. m. Thomas Wilson; Susan.
2. MOSES CURTIS b. 1818 Jackson Co Tn, d. after 1900 Tishomingo County, Mississippi; m. Elizabeth Blackshear, d/o of Elisha Blackshear and Mary Grimes. [Moses and Elizabeth are my gg-grandparents; I descend through their son Jefferson Davis Curtis who married Mary Ellen Osborn and their son Johnston Albert Curtis who married Josie Smith.)
3. WILLIAM B. CURTIS, b. 1820 Jackson Co Tn, d. 1895 Pope Co Ark., buried Forks of the Creek Cemetery; m. Margaret McAfee. Children: James C. 1845-1919, William 1849-1859, Moses 1852-1912; Thomas 1854; Samuel 1856; Louisa 1859.
4. NANCY or SUSAN ANN CURTIS, b. abt 1825 Jackson Co Tn.
5. GEORGE CURTIS, b. abt 1827 Jackson Co Tn; d. abt 1878 Pope Co Ark; m. first, Jane - children: David 1852, Susan Ann 1855, John 1856-1870, William Franklin 1857-1900, Nancy 1860; m. second, Sabra Louisa Rose - children George Hillery 1865; Thomas Arnold 1869-1949; Edward 1878.
6. HILLARY "HECK" CURTIS JR, b. 1828 Jackson Co Tn; d. 16 Oct 1899 Pope Co Ark, buried Forks of the Creek Cemetery; m. Susan Blackshear 1832-1914. Known children: Martha m. Wm Cephus Petty; Nancy Jane 1851-1904 m. Thomas Frederick; m. Jacob "Jake" Brewer; m. John W. Morris; Susan b 1856 m. Solomon Morris; John Carroll 1859-1930 m. Nancy Brown, m. Minnie Hughes; Margaret Ellen 1861-1937 m. John Alton Church; Mary Ann 1865-1929 m. William Green Petty; David Thomas 1865-1897, m. Cordelia Morris, m. Rosetta Long, m. Terrill Daisy McClinton; Sarah 1866-1910 m. William Morris; James G.W. Curtis 1869-1938, m. Louisa Elizabeth Hughes; Rebecca Curtis 1872-1945 m. Joseph Harrison Petty.
7. MARTHA CURTIS, b. abt 1830 Jackson Co Tn, d. 1901 OK; m. first on Jan 21, 1849 in Tishomingo County, Miss., Davis Pigg - children: Hillary Curtis Pigg, Presley G. Pigg, Anderson Clark Pigg, Henderson Hopwood Pigg, Artissima Pigg, Rebecca J. Pigg, Roselly Pigg; m. second on Aug 15 1867 in Yell Co Ark, Hiram E. Livingston - children: Martha Permelia Livingston b. 1868 and Jenny Lavinia Livingston 1870-1962 m. Leige Asberry Cooper. Martha Curtis Pigg Livingston is buried Fairlawn Cemetery, Comanche, Stephens County, Oklahoma, with second husband Hiram Livingston.
8. LOUISA JANE CURTIS, b. abt 1832 Jackson Co Tn, d. 1871 Pope Co Arkansas, married her first cousin William John Calvin McAfee, son of James McAfee and Nancy Gulley.
9. JAMES THOMAS CURTIS, b. 1836 Jackson Co Tenn, d. 31 Aug 1932 Pope Co Ark, buried Forks of the Creek Cemetery; m. Dicey Crouch on July 8, 1856 in Pope Co Ark; children: William S. m. Sarah Matthew Hughes; Martha E. b. 1859 m. George McClure; Anna b. 1862; John Henry 1866-1920, m. Sarah Bethena Helton; James Albert 1867-1943 m. Mary Jane Williams; Louisa 1870-bef 1880; Mary 1872, m. William Coffman; Susan R. 1874; David W. 1878; Rosetta 1879; King 1883.
10. REBECCA HANNAH CURTIS, b 18 Feb 1838 Tishomingo Co Miss, d 31 Oct 1905 Pope Co Ark; m. David Crouch on July 8, 1856 in Pope Co Ark - two children: John H. Crouch 1858-1928 and Mary Crouch 1861; m. William A. Cooper - one child, Lucinda Elizabeth Cooper born Oct 1871, d. 1953 Monterey, California, buried Mountain View Cemetery, Casa Grande, Pina County, Arizona; Lucina Elizabeth Cooper m. Carroll Arthur and was mother of two daughters: (1) Mary Caldonia Arthur 1891-d. 1947 Casa Grande, Pina Co, Arizona m. Lee Gilliam Tackett and (2) Cora Rebecca Arthur 1896 Ark, d. 1974 Monterey, California, buried Greenfield Cemetery, Greenfield; shares stone with second husband Jesse Norwood; her first husband was Edgar Phillips.
PLEASE NOTE: It is my understanding that there are many old and/or unmarked graves at this cemetery. I have no proof that Hillary Curtis Sr and wife Susannah Gulley Curtis are buried at Forks of the Creek Cemetery, Hector, Pope County, Arkansas. However, at least three of their children are buried at Forks of the Creek, as are many of their descendants. Their sons who are buried at Forks of the Creek are: Hillary "Heck" Curtis Jr (Memorial #5447874), William B. Curtis (Memorial #5433948), and James Thomas Curtis (Memorial #5454035).
Research has been ongoing since the mid-1980s and continues.
Susannah Gulley Curtis (1797 - 1870)*
Bilbray Curtis (1816 - ____)*
Moses Curtis (1818 - 1900)*
William B. Curtis (1823 - ____)*
Hillary Curtis (1828 - 1899)*
Martha Curtis Pigg Livingston (1830 - 1901)*
James Thomas Curtis (1836 - ____)*
Forks of the Creek Cemetery
Created by: BonnieGober12
Record added: Aug 23, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 95851665
In loving memory of Hillary Curtis, Sr., my gr-gr-gr-grandfather.|
Added: Aug. 23, 2012