|Birth: ||Nov. 4, 1875|
|Death: ||Jul. 4, 1968|
Ella was some woman for her time. She was married we think about 5 times. For many different reasons. She divorced her first husband, the parent of my grandmother. Some others seem to come and go very quickly.
Clarence the last one was a bit younger than her. But she seemed very good to her most of the time. I am not sure what kind of life they had. I was so very young, and they lived so very far away.
Moving to Oregon. The mail from my grandmother would give us a few lines here and there of what and how they were doing.
I remember my mother laughing and saying what a tough ole gal she was. She meant that in a good way. She worked hard, long hours to survive. But the subject of my mother's sentence referred to her being 65 years old and she decided to build herself a house.
It seems though, that husband Clarence was in the way, and not of much use during this job. But that tough ole gal got the home built. They lived in and enjoyed it. A real pioneer spirit it seems to want to build at age 65 when many during that time span in the life were ready to lay down, or just looking for knitting needles.
Oregon Death Index, 1903-98
Name: Backus, Ella V County: Coos Death Date: 5 Jul 1968
Certificate: 9495 Spouse: Clarence
Letter from attorney says In The Circuit Court Of The State Of Oregon In And For The County Of Coos In the matter of the estates of Ella Victorine Backus, deceased Case No. 8934 Notice For Filing Objections To Final Account And Petition For Decree Of Final Distribution. Notice is hearby given that the personal representative has filled herein his final account and petition for a decree of final distribution. Any objections thereto must be filed in the estate proceeding in the above court on or before the 20day of June, 1977. Dated the 31 day of May, 1977. William A. Hedges Attorney for Personal Reprsentative, Howard B. Finch.
*note, the line that has dated the 31 day of May, 1977 has June typed in and scratched out with May written above it in hand.
Final Account And Petition For Decree Of Final Distribution
The Personal Representative presents this final acct. covering the period of time from commencement of probate, Dec. 16, 1976, to and including teh date hereof.
1. The total value of the property with which the personal representative is chargable according to the inventory is the sum of $5,357.51, which is still on deposit in this estate's account at the North Bend, Oregon Branch of Western Bank.
2. No other moneys or property of any description has been received by the personal representative nor does he have any knowledge of the existence of same nor has the personal representative made any disbursements of any kind during the administration hereof. The personal representative now has on had the full amount for which he is chargeable, that being the sum recited above, $5,357.51
3. Appropriate Releases are on file herein evidencing the fact that all Oregon income, inheritance and personal property taxes, if any, have been paid.
4. No claims of any kind have been presented to the personal representative nor does your personal representative know of the existence of any outstanding obligations incurred either by the decedent or this estate excepting only those incurred in the course of the administration hereof which are set forth herein below.
5. Claims and expenses of administration which should be paid out of the estate as follows:
I am not putting the full page typed and it is continued which I am not going to put here. If anyone should need it, can send copies of it.
Her last years being spent in a nursing home, and the home she built gone on to someone else to live in. Just a bit of money left in an account and a few personal belongings left for a lifetime spent.
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Branson Township, Taney County, Missouri; Roll: T625_964; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 233; Image: 1067. 32 College Street, enumerated Jan. 3, 1920
Ella Finch 44
Jeannetta Finch 23
Orvin Finch 19
Ethelyn Finch 17
Fern Finch 15
Zelma Finch 13
Howard Finch 10
James David Hillhouse (1843 - 1914)
Clarinda Elizabeth Rebecca Stark Hillhouse (1857 - 1951)
Clarence Ver Backus (1893 - 1973)
Thomas Alford Brainard (1867 - 1931)*
Jeanetta Elizabeth Finch Mead (1896 - 1968)*
Ethelyn R Finch Rountree (1902 - 1981)*
Ella Victorine Hillhouse Backus (1875 - 1968)
Elmer Ellis Hillhouse (1877 - 1957)*
Mary Estella Hillhouse Needels (1879 - 1940)*
James D H Hillhouse (1881 - 1882)*
Frank Clelland Hillhouse (1882 - 1956)*
Frederick Jackson Hillhouse (1884 - 1968)*
Lela Maude Hillhouse Mead (1889 - 1932)*
Charles Leslie Hillhouse (1891 - 1983)*
Robert Claude Hillhouse (1894 - 1968)*
George Hillhouse (1899 - 1928)*
Ocean View Memory Gardens & Crematory
Maintained by: Judy Young
Originally Created by: Heather R. (Schmid) Satc...
Record added: May 28, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 37644907
Added: Feb. 11, 2015
Added: Dec. 18, 2009
Jeanetta "Nettie" [Finch] Mead is the daughter of Ella, but not of Clarence. He was something like husband number 4 or 5. She is the daughter of her first husband.|
Added: Jul. 5, 2009
|There is 1 more note not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...