Elizabeth Lockwood Mead Biography
Elizabeth Lockwood was born in 1707 in Greenwich, the daughter of Still John Lockwood, born ca 1674 in Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
He became a prominent man in Greenwich and acquired a large estate, which was divided among his children at the time of his death, which occurred in 1758, at the age of 84 years. His children were: John, Gilbert, Robert, Caleb, Jonathan, Abraham, William, Abigail, Elizabeth, Mary, Susannah, Ann, and Deborah Lockwood. The name of Elizabeth's mother is unknown.
Elizabeth married John Mead in 1724 in Greenwich. He was born on October 7, 1682 in Greenwich. He was the son of Constable John Mead (b. ca 1658; d. May 12, 1693, both in Greenwich) and Ruth Hard(e)y (b. ca 1658 in Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut; d. between March 20, 1712/13 and 1727 in Greenwich).
It is interesting to note that John's parents' marriage was the first marriage that was recorded in the Town of Greenwich on October 27, 1681. Paul Prindle, F.A.S.G. wrote the following in his article "Some Early Finch-Mead Problems," The American Genealogist, Vol. 48(2): 93-99, April 1972, pages 93-94:
The marriage on 27 Oct 1681 of John(2) Mead is the earliest vital record to be found in Greenwich Early Records (originally called Greenwich Common Place Book): "John Mead and Ruth Hardey were Married by Mr. Richerd Laws, Commissioner. unto ym they had borne in ye year 1682, october ye 7, a Sonn, being theire first borne sonn, his name being John."
The children of John Mead and Elizabeth Lockwood were:
• Brigadier General John Mead, b. 1725, Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut; d. December 3, 1790, Greenwich; m. (1) Mary Brush, 1752, Fairfield County, Connecticut; b. 1730; d. 1785, Fairfield County, Connecticut; m. (2) Mehitable Blackman, January 8, 1786, Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut; b. before October 1743, Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut; d. 1810, Greenwich.
• Ann Mead, b. ca. 1726, Greenwich; m. a Mr. Baremore; b. ca. 1725.
• Nathaniel Mead, b. 1728, Greenwich; d. 1814, Greenwich; m. (1) Charity Bush, ca. 1775, Greenwich; b. March 27, 1739, Greenwich; d. before June 6, 1815, Greenwich; m. (2) Hannah Seymour Hobby, ca. 1775, Greenwich; b. 1753, Connecticut.
• Seth Mead, b. 1730, Greenwich; d. April 6, 1784, Greenwich; m. Deborah Disbrow; b. ca. 1735, probably Connecticut; d. after December 4, 1801, probably in Connecticut.
• Elizabeth Mead, b. ca. 1732, Greenwich; m. Daniel Darrow; b. ca. 1732.
• Captain Matthew Mead, b. 1734, Greenwich; d. 1812, Greenwich; m. Mary Bush, 1759, Greenwich; b. February 3, 1741/42, Greenwich; d. before June 1813, Greenwich.
In 1735 John was commissioned Captain of the West Company or trainband of Horseneck, Connecticut.
John died between March and August 1759 in Greenwich. Elizabeth died between May and October 1785 in Greenwich.
Submitted by Sandra Johnson Witt, her sixth great granddaughter, on August 9, 2011
Note: I would appreciate additional information and/or corrections regarding this family.
John Mead (1682 - 1759)*
Matthew Mead (1734 - 1812)*
Created by: Sandra Johnson Witt
Record added: Aug 09, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 74686545