|Birth: ||Oct. 7, 1682|
Captain John Mead Biography
Captain John Mead was born on October 7, 1682 in Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut. He was the son of Constable John Mead (b. ca 1658; d. May 12, 1693, both in Greenwich) and Ruth Hard(e)y (b. ca 1658 in Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut; d. between March 20, 1712/13 and 1727 in Greenwich).
It is interesting to note that his parents' marriage was the first marriage that was recorded in the Town of Greenwich on October 27, 1681. Paul Prindle, F.A.S.G. wrote the following in his article "Some Early Finch-Mead Problems," The American Genealogist, Vol. 48(2): 93-99, April 1972, pages 93-94:
The marriage on 27 Oct 1681 of John(2) Mead is the earliest vital record to be found in Greenwich Early Records (originally called Greenwich Common Place Book): "John Mead and Ruth Hardey were Married by Mr. Richerd Laws, Commissioner. unto ym they had borne in ye year 1682, october ye 7, a Sonn, being theire first borne sonn, his name being John."
John Mead married Elizabeth Lockwood in 1724 in Greenwich.
She was born in 1707 in Greenwich, the daughter of Still John Lockwood (ca 1674-1757) from Greenwich. Her mother's name is unknown.
The children of John Mead and Elizabeth Lockwood were:
• Brigadier General John Mead, b. 1725, Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut; d. December 3, 1790, Greenwich; m. (1) Mary Brush, 1752, Fairfield County, Connecticut; b. 1730; d. 1785, Fairfield County, Connecticut; m. (2) Mehitable Blackman, January 8, 1786, Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut; b. before October 1743, Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut; d. 1810, Greenwich.
• Ann Mead, b. ca. 1726, Greenwich; m. a Mr. Baremore; b. ca. 1725.
• Nathaniel Mead, b. 1728, Greenwich; d. 1814, Greenwich; m. Charity Bush, ca. 1775, Greenwich; b. March 27, 1739, Greenwich; d. Sept. 27, 1765, Greenwich; m. Deborah Disbrow; b. ca. 1735, probably Connecticut; d. after December 4, 1801, probably in Connecticut.
• Elizabeth Mead, b. ca. 1732, Greenwich; m. Daniel Darrow; b. ca. 1732.
• Captain Matthew Mead, b. 1734, Greenwich; d. 1812, Greenwich; m. Mary Bush, 1759, Greenwich; b. February 3, 1741/42, Greenwich; d. before June 1813, Greenwich.
In 1735 John was commissioned Captain of the West Company or trainband of Horseneck, Connecticut.
John died between March and August 1759 in Greenwich. Elizabeth died between May and October 1785 in Greenwich.
Submitted by Sandra Johnson Witt, his sixth great granddaughter, on August 9, 2011
Note: I would appreciate additional information and/or corrections regarding this family.
Elizabeth Lockwood Mead (1707 - 1785)
Matthew Mead (1734 - 1812)*
Created by: Sandra Johnson Witt
Record added: Aug 09, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 74685142