|Birth: ||Aug. 31, 1858|
|Death: ||Sep. 16, 1939|
Mary "Mollie" Margaret Roach Morris was born on Aug 31, 1858 in Monticello, Jefferson County, Florida. She was the daughter of James Byrd Roach and Margaret Bazemore Roach.
She married Benjamin Augustus Morris on Oct 06, 1876 in Jefferson County. After their marriage, they lived on a farm near the original homestead of Benjamin's parents.
Benjamin was born on Dec 09, 1845 in Monticello, Jefferson County, Florida, the son of James Devere Morris (1813-1873) and Catherine Ann Mathers Morris (1819-1893).
Benjamin enlisted in the (Jefferson County) 1st Regiment (Reserves) Infantry Unit of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. The 1st Infantry Regiment, formerly the 1st Florida Infantry Battalion, was assembled in March, 1861, at Chattahoochee Arsenal. Its members were from the counties of Leon, Alachua, Madison, Jefferson, Jackson, Franklin, Gadsden, and Escambia.
Mollie and Benjamin were actively involved in their community and had seven children. In addition to his farming activities, Benjamin was interested in the growing of pears, grapes, and pecans on a commercial basis. He was the first postmaster of the post office in Pinhook, located near the Pinhook Road and the railroad in Jefferson County.
The children of Benjamin and Mary Roach Morris were:
• Nettie Leona Morris, b. Feb 27, 1878, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Feb 26, 1955, Greenville, Madison County, Florida; m. Fred Armistead, ca. 1899, Florida; b. ca. 1878.
• James Frank Morris, b. Sep 17, 1879, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Nov 01, 1955, probably Florida.
• Benjamin Roach Morris, b. Jun 15, 1882, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Apr 27, 1971, St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida; m. Annie "Margie" Rooney Kirkland, Jul 1909, Florida; b. Mar 18, 1888, Benton, Hamilton County, Florida; d. 1958, St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida.
• Charles Devere Morris, b. Jan 27, 1887, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Jan 22, 1966, VA Hospital, Lake City, Columbia County, Florida; m. Mae Bess Cone; b. ca. 1888.
• Clarence Adair Morris, b. Aug 21, 1889, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Jun 06, 1891, Jefferson County.
• Ruth Olive Morris, b. Sep 09, 1891, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Jul 16, 1991, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia; m. Thomas Bryant "T. B." Armistead, Jan 27, 1912, Jefferson County; b. ca. 1889, Florida.
• Hugh Lee Morris, b. Mar 02, 1896, Jefferson County, Florida; d. Feb 1978, Quincy, Gadsden County, Florida; m. Ruth Mae Ivey, Mar 22, 1928, Macon, Bibb County, Georgia; b. Mar 20, 1906, Macon, Bibb County, Georgia; d. Sep 07, 2001, Quincy, Gadsden County, Florida.
They led long and productive lives in Jefferson County. Benjamin died on Mar 18, 1934 at the age of 88 years. Mary ("Mollie") died on Sep 16, 1939 at the age of 81 years.
Submitted on March 12, 2013 by Sandra Johnson Witt, the wife of her great grandson
Benjamin Augustus Morris (1845 - 1934)
Benjamin Roach Morris (1882 - 1971)*
Clarence Adair Morris (1889 - 1891)*
Ruth Olive Morris Armistead (1891 - 1991)*
Created by: Sandra Johnson Witt
Record added: Mar 12, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 106598258