|Birth: ||May, 1811|
New Hampshire, USA
Asa Fitch Bailey, s. of Lieut. Caleb Bailey and Deborah Fitch, b. in May 1811 at Bath, NH. He died in 1905 prob. while a resident of Blakely Twp, Gage County, NE. In the June 1900 census he was residing at Blakely Twp. west of the City of Beatrice in the household of his widowed dau., Cornelia D. (Bailey) Blakely.
Through his mother, Asa was a direct descendant in the 7th generation of Rev. John Robinson of Scrooby, Nottingham, England and Leiden, Holland. Rev. Robinson was the pastor of the Pilgrims who sailed in 1620 on the Mayflower and founded the Plymouth Colony, now largely Barnstable, Bristol and Plymouth Counties of Mass. Rev. Robinson's 2nd son Isaac was the only child to immigrate to America, arriving at Plymouth, Mass. in Feb. 1631.
At an unknown date and place, Asa m. Jeanette (q.v. Janet) Dickinson Ford, b. in 1823 at New York, dau. of currently unknown parents. She d. in 1894 prob. while a resident of the City of Beatrice, NE. In the June 1885 state census, Asa and Jeanette were residing at the City of Beatrice. They had at least eleven children identified by censuses and possibly others who were b. and d. between sequential censuses.
In the June 1850 census, the Asa Fitch family was enumerated at Kenosha County, Wisconsin, followed in the June 1860 census enumerated at Racine County, Wisconsin. According to the 1918 pub. History of Gage County, Nebraska, Asa and family arrived at Gage County in 1863 settling along Cub Creek in the western portion of the county, later designated as Blakely Twp., named after Asa's son-in-law, William Blakely, who arrived as a single man at Gage County in 1857.
Asa Fitch Bailey and Jennette Dickinson Ford had eleven identified children, the ten eldest b. at Wisconsin, the eleventh at Gage County, NE:
• i. Hiram F. Bailey, b. circa 1841, d. unm. in 1859 at Wisconsin. See note below in the gravestone inscription section.
• ii. Cornelia D. "Nellie" Bailey, b. Oct. 24, 1843, d. Dec. 23, 1936 at Beatrice, NE; m. Jan. 23, 1867 at Beatrice, NE, William Blakely, s. of Daniel, b. July 3, 1821 purportedly at Roxbury, Litchfield, Conn. He d. Jan. 2, 1898 at Blakely Twp, Gage County, NE. Three children of the family.
• iii. Charles B. Bailey, b. circa 1846, was living in June 1860, but no further record found.
• iv. Harriet "Hattie" E. Bailey, b. Nov. 17, 1847, d. May 3, 1939 at Beatrice, NE; m. 1) Mar. 24, 1869 Eugene C. Mack, b. Mar. 20, 1842 at Ireland and d. Aug. 15, 1911 at Beatrice, NE. She m. 2) in 1913, A.D. Sage, who d. in 1915.
• v. Henry Bailey, b. 1849, d. in infancy bef. June 1850 at Wisconsin.
• vi. Mary Emily Bailey, b. Jan. 31, 1851, d. in Nov. 1933 ay Beatrice, NE; m. Jan. 1, 1870 at Gage County, NE, James William Shelley, b. Feb. 5, 1843 at Derbyshire, England. He d. Oct. 25, 1908 at Beatrice, NE. Ten children of the family.
• vii. Anna M. Bailey, b. May 6, 1853, d. Jan. 22, 1943 at Tonaskit, Washington; m. May 6, 1873 at Gage County, NE, James Edward Pheasant, b. in Mar. 1847 at Illinois. He d. bef. June 1910. Six children of the family.
• viii. Myra I. Bailey, b. in June 1855, d. June 24, 1942 at Eugene, OR.; m. Oct. 16, 1879 at Gage County, NE, John Russell Johnston, s. of Insley D. Johnston and Eliza J. Douglass, b. May 28, 1852 at Indiana. He d. Mar. 26, 1938 at Fall River County, South Dakota. Five identified children of the family.
• ix. Clara Bailey, b. circa 1858 at Wisconsin, d. unm. in 1877 at Gage County, NE.
• x. Flora I. Bailey, b. circa 1862 at Wisconsin; was living in June 1870 at Gage County, NE but no further record found.
• xi. Clyde Allison Bailey, b. July 22, 1865 at Gage County, NE, d. Feb. 11, 1937 and interred at Chelan County, Washington; m. circa 1897, Emma Marie Cooksey, dau. of Henry Cooksey and Mary Jane Spencer, b. in Feb. 1875 at Holt County, MO. She d. Mar. 30, 1952. Eight identified children of the family.
Jeanette Dickinson Ford Bailey (1823 - 1894)*
Cornelia D. Bailey Blakely (1843 - 1936)*
Charlie B Bailey (1846 - 1901)*
Harriet E Bailey Sage (1847 - 1939)*
Mary Emily Bailey Shelley (1851 - 1933)*
Anna M Bailey Pheasant (1853 - 1943)*
Clyde Allison Bailey (1865 - 1937)*
1811 - 1905
1823 - 1894
Hiram F. [*1]
1851 - 1859
1849 - 1850
1857 - 1877
[*1, 1851 must be an error for 1841, as a child named Hiram F. appears as the eldest child, age 9, in the 1850 census of the family at Wisconsin. If he was otherwise b. in 1851, he would not have been enumerated in the 1850 census.]
Evergreen Home Cemetery
Plot: Block 36, Lot 6
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Jun 18, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 92145543