|Birth: ||Jan. 16, 1866|
South Lake Tahoe
El Dorado County
|Death: ||Aug. 24, 1951|
Los Angeles County
John Laura Yager is the only daughter of John Lewis Yager and Catherine (Kate) Wickham. She was born in South Lake Tahoe, El Dorado county, California in 1866. The home of her parents at this time was Indiana, so they must have been traveling to and from California via South Lake Tahoe at the time of her birth. She was raised in Fowler, Benton, Indiana.
It appears she obtained her first name of John from her father. She is so named in the U.S. and International Marriage Records and is referred to as J. Laura in the 1931 Los Angeles City Directory.
On 6 May 1883 she married Francis (Frank) Robert Adam in Benton County, Indiana at the age of 17. Their first 2 children were born there. About 1890 they moved to Los Angeles, California where their subsequent children were born. Their children were:
Beatrice, b. 1884, Indiana
Clara Marguerite, b. 1887, Indiana
Francis Yager, b. 1891, California (twin)
Thomas Johnston, b. 1891, California (twin)
Leroy, b. 1895, California
Robert L., b. 1901, California
Laura and her husband lived in Los Angeles until their deaths. Frank passed away first on 11 Jun 1951 and Laura died a few months later on 24 Aug 1951. Laura lived in California 57 years at 1131 W. Kensington Rd., LA., L.A., Calif. Died Aug 24, 1951 at 4:45am in Los Angeles at age 85. Buried in Rosedale Cemetery on 8/27/1951. Died of cerebral hemorhage (36 hrs) and hypertensive heart disease (4 yrs).
It appears they did not believe in headstones or did not have the funds for them as their burial locations do not have them.
1. California Death Index, 1940-1997. Name: LAURA YAGER ADAM, Birth: 16 Jan 1866, CALIFORNIA, Death: 24 Aug 1951, LOS ANGELES, California.
2. 1910 US Census.
3. 1920 US Census gives name as Laura Adam, wife to Frances R. Adam. Also lists children and address as 1133 West Kinsington Road, Los Angeles, California.
4. 1930 US Census gives middle initial of J. and Kate W Johnston (Catherine Wells Wickham Yager Johnston), her mother, is living with her.
5. U.S. & Int'l Marriage Records, 1560-1900 for John Laura Yager. This is the only record giving her first name as "John".
6. U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989, Record for Kate W Johnston. Los Angeles, California City Directory, 1931. "Adam, Francis R (J. Laura) lino opr h 1133 W Kensington rd."
7. Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941, marriage date 6 May 1883, location in Benton County, Indiana. Book 2 1/2, p. 62.
8. Los Angeles Times Newspaper, 25 Aug 1951, death announcement: "ADAM, Laura Yager. [Interment] Services Monday [27 Aug 1951], 1 p.m., at Armstrong Family [Mortuary]." Nothing mentioned about where she was to be buried. Rich called the mortuary on 2 Aug 2010 and they said they did not keep records past 15 years, so they did have any information on her burial.
9. The Rosedale Cemetery Association, Single Grave Lot Record, Los Angeles, California. The cemetery is located at 1831 West Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, California. Laura is in Sec 10, Lot 63, Grave 1NW. Interred 27 Aug 1951. No grave marker. She is buried next to her husband Francis.
10. California Death Certificate, viewed by Rich on 13 Aug 2010 while at the Los Angeles County Courthouse at 12400 Imperial Hwy, Norwalk, CA. Name: Laura Yager Adam, born Jan 16, 1866 in California. Mother is Katherine Wickam of Indiana, Father is John Yager of Indiana. Informant is Beatrice Adam Burr (dau of Laura). Laura lived in California 57 years at time of death, at 1131 W. Kensington Rd., LA., L.A., Calif. Died Aug 24, 1951 at 4:45am in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California at age 85. Buried in Rosedale Cemetery on 8/27/1951. Died of cerebral hemorhage (36 hrs) and hypertensive heart disease (4 yrs).
11. California Death Index, 1951, Vol. A-E (located under A). The index gave the reference to the death certificate for Laura as: No. 14070, Vol 544. Listed as Laura Yager Adam, died 24 Aug 1951. Viewed by Rich on 13 Aug 2010 while at the Los Angeles County Courthouse at 12400 Imperial Hwy, Norwalk, CA.
Sources & notes written by Rich Ware.
John Lewis Yager (1840 - 1881)
Catherine Wells Wickham Yager Johnston (1841 - 1931)
Francis Robert Adam (1859 - 1951)*
Thomas Johnston Adam (1891 - 1960)*
Angelus Rosedale Cemetery
Los Angeles County
Plot: Sec 10, Lot 64, Grv 1NW
Created by: Rich Ware
Record added: Dec 01, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 81396608
My great grand aunt. Researching your life enriched that of my family.|
Added: Jan. 11, 2014
Added: Jan. 17, 2013