|Birth: ||Jun. 17, 1844|
|Death: ||Aug. 13, 1914|
Inscription: CO. G. 47 MASS. INF.
From Jen Snoots:
I do believe this is Edward S. Wheeler.
Info from the National Park Service database
Edward S. Wheeler (First_Last)
Regiment Name 47 Massachusetts Mil. Inf.
Soldier's Rank_In Pvt.
Soldier's Rank_Out Corp.
Film Number M544 roll 42
and from The American Civil War Research database
Biographical data and notes:
- Born Jun 17 1844 in Concord, MA
- Pre-enlistment occupation: Carpenter
- Last known address: Lowell, MA
- Edward S. Wheeler died on Aug 13 1914
- Residing in Concord, MA at time of enlistment
- 16 years of age at time of enlistment
- Enlisted on Apr 19 1861 at Concord, MA as Private
- Enlisted into G Company, 5th Infantry (Massachusetts) on May 1 1861
- Mustered out from 5th Infantry (Massachusetts) on Jun 18 1862 (MO with deatch. paroled prisoners)
- Enlisted into G Company, 47th Infantry (Massachusetts) on Oct 15 1862
- Mustered out from 47th Infantry (Massachusetts) on Sep 1 1863 at Readville, MA (9 months)
Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) membership:
- General J. G. Foster Post (Massachusetts Post No. 163), South Framingham, Massachusetts
- Old Concord Post (Massachusetts Post No. 180), Concord, Massachusetts
- Promoted to Corpl (Full, Vol) (date not indicated)
- POW on Jul 21 1861 at Bull Run, VA (Paroled)
- Exchanged on Jun 1 1862 (Estimated date)
Sources for the above information:
- Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the Civil War, (Adjutant General, 1931-37)
- Massachusetts GAR: Journal of the Annual Encampment, (1907-42)
- GAR Dept of Massachusetts 1866-1947 (Sargent), (Heritage Books, Inc)
- Massachusetts Minute Men of '61
Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
Created by: Nareen, et al
Record added: Oct 30, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 22566421