|Birth: ||Apr. 16, 1746|
|Death: ||Jan., 1821|
Jonathan Stoddard, eldest known s. of Eleazer Stoddard, Jr. and Elizabeth Dean, b. Apr. 16, 1746 (bapt. Apr. 20) at Dedham, Mass. He d. intestate in Jan. 1821 at Rupert, VT. While residing at Pittsfield, Mass. he served as a Sergeant in the Rev. War, was in various engagements principally in New York, and held a Rev. War pension at his death.
By an intention to marry dated Apr. 5, 1777 at Pittsfield, Mass., Jonathan m. Mary Wright, dau. of Dea. Josiah Wright and Elizabeth Robbins, b. Sept. 21, 1750 at Wethersfield, Conn. She d. June 18, 1837 at Rupert, VT. Following her husband's death she held a widow's Rev. War service pension.
Jonathan and Mary initially resided at Pittsfield, Mass. before relocating in the 1780s to Benson, VT. They lived thereafter at Benson, across the NY-VT state line at Granville in Washington County, NY, and lastly at Rupert, VT. They had the following known children:
• i. William Stoddard, b. May 10, 1779 at Pittsfield, Mass., d. Nov. 9, 1854 at Pawlet, VT; m. Jan. 18, 1802 at Pawlet, VT, Abigail Cobb, dau. of Capt. Joshua Cobb & Hannah Edgerton, b. Jan. 23, 1783 at Pawlet, VT. She d. Nov. 5, 1854 at Pawlet. Nine children of the family.
• ii. Grove Stoddard, b. Oct. 6, 1781 at Pittsfield, Mass., d. Mar. 7, 1864 at Lenox, NY; m. May 26, 1805 at Pawlet, VT, Mary "Polly" Cobb, the sister of Abigail and wife of William Stoddard above, b. May 3, 1787 at Pawlet, VT. She d. Aug. 23, 1876 at Lenox, NY. Eight children of the family.
• iii. Mary "Polly" Stoddard, b. Dec. 6, 1782 at Pittsfield, Mass., d. Nov. 5, 1858 at Galesburg, IL; m. Apr. 3, 1803 at Moriah, NY, Jacob Edgerton, s. of Jedediah Edgerton and Lucy Curtis, b. Mar. 18, 1785 at Pawlet, VT. He d. Apr. 9, 1843 at Galesburg, IL. Five children of the family.
• iv. Jonathan Stoddard, Jr., b. circa 1785 poss. at Pittsfield, Mass., was living in Jan. 1853 but where cannot be found; purportedly m. three times but further information is lacking.
• v. Eleazer Stoddard, twin of Josiah, b. in July 1787 poss. at Pittsfield, Mass., purportedly d. Jan. 8, 1842 at Rupert, VT; m. Mar. 9, 1814 at Moreau, NY, Emily Sill, twin dau. of Dea. Giles Sill and Lucy Gould, b. Nov. 26, 1790 at Lyme, Conn. She was living in June 1870 with the family of dau. Sophia (Stoddard) Hinds at Wheatland, Wisc. Two known children of the family.
• vi. Josiah Stoddard, twin of Eleazer, purportedly d. in Feb. 1857 at Rupert, VT; m. Mar. 9, 1814 at Moreau, NY, Almira Sill, twin sister of Emily the wife of Josiah's twin brother Eleazer. She d. circa 1864 at Glens Falls, NY. Two known children of the family.
• vii. Lucy Ann Stoddard, b. Dec. 26, 1788 at Benson, VT, d. Apr. 21, 1834 at Milton, VT; m. Sept. 13, 1813, Rev. Septimius Robinson, s. of Eliab Robinson and Lucy Richardson, b. July 27, 1790 at Poultney, VT. Five children of the family. Septimius m. 2) Jan. 6, 1835 at Montpelier, VT, Semantha Washburn, dau. of Col. Asahel Washburn and Dorothy Hamilton. He d. testate Sept. 27, 1860 at Morrisville, VT.
• viii. Pomeroy Stoddard, b. Sept. 14, 1793 at Benson, VT, d. Sept. 9, 1860 at Lebanon, OH; m. Mar. 8, 1826, Maria Koogle, dau. of Adam and Mary Koogle, b. Dec. 9, 1803 at Franklin County, PA. She d. Aug. 17, 1893 at Lebanon, OH. Seven children of the family.
Eleazer Stoddard (1720 - 1772)
Elizabeth Dean Stoddard (1717 - ____)
Mary Wright Stoddard (1750 - 1837)*
William Stoddard (1779 - 1854)*
Grove Stoddard (1781 - 1864)*
Mary Stoddard Edgerton (1782 - 1858)*
Elezar Stoddard (1787 - 1842)*
Josiah Stoddard (1787 - 1857)*
Lucy Stoddard Robinson (1788 - 1834)*
Pomeroy Stoddard (1793 - 1860)*
Rupert Street Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Nov 10, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 44162439
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.
Rest in Peace Grandfather|
Added: Feb. 2, 2011
Added: Feb. 20, 2010