|Birth: ||Mar. 18, 1826|
|Death: ||May 29, 1892|
Daughter of Lewis (Louis) Smith & Elizabeth Hancock of Georgia.
Married Charles Clyde Meredith 7 Jan 1845, Wilkinson Co, GA
1. Mary Jane (m. Frank "Eli" Standridge)
2. Nancy E. (m. Wilson Ingram)
3, Martha Francis "Mattie"(m. Harvey Ingram, bro. to Wilson Ingram)
4. Texana Missouri "Tec or Tex" (m.#1 Chas "Randolph" Hanna, m. #2- Wm. T. Chapman)
5. Samuel Joseph - (m. Eliz. Alice McClure)
6. Therina Amazone "Zonie" - (m.#1-Chas. W. Byers, m.#2 Wm. Thomas Marshall)
7. Wyat - died at 12 months
8. John Wesley - (m. Mary Jane "Molly" Ford)
9. Charles I. - died at 11 months
10. James Manson "Jim" - (m.#1-Mary Ellen Yost; m.#2- Ellen M. "Ella" Callahan; m.#3-Sarah Francis "Fannie" Daniel
11. William Pinkney "Pink"- (m.#1-Mary Lee Head; m.#2-Olga Butler; m.#3-Mattie Meredith West
12. Alta Moore -
From cousin Wallie Hancock Horstman Mitchell:
Charles & Eliza left Georgia in 1852 in an ox drawn covered wagon. They had with them 3 young daughters and a fourth was born soon after their arrival in Texas. They settled on 425 acres of land bought in Sep 1853 from Eliza's father, Lewis. Lewis had bought 1500 acres of land called the Andrew Mays survey. He was probably the first to buy land of the group from Georgia and then he sold off parcels of it, one to his son-in-law, Charles. Charles then sold 200 of the acres to his brother Samuel, for in 1856 there was a deed recorded of the sale from brother-to-brother.
Charles' name appears in 2 legal issues in Bastrop Co. records. One time he was sued by James Weaver in the mid-1850s. There is no clue as to why this man sued Charles, but the case was dismissed.
The second time he was sued about the same time. In that case Charles won.
Charles traded regularly with the local Indians. He would give them a farm animal for the deer they brought in trade. At one time there were so many deep hanging in the smoke house that Charles said he hoped there was no more venison brought in. *************
Charles Clyde Meredith (1817 - 1889)*
Martha Francis Meredith Ingram (1850 - 1941)*
Texana Missouri Meredith Hanna (1852 - 1934)*
Samuel Joseph Meredith (1855 - 1889)*
Therina Arizona Meredith Byers Marshall (1858 - 1926)*
Wyat Meredith (1859 - ____)*
James Manson Meredith (1863 - 1940)*
William Pinkey Meredith (1866 - 1954)*
Note: My 3x Great Grandmother
Meredith Family Cemetery
Maintained by: Donna Meinscher Plessala...
Originally Created by: Tammy New
Record added: Jun 10, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 38166366