|Birth: ||Mar. 22, 1913|
|Death: ||Apr. 9, 2002|
OLD GLORY - George A. Roberts, 89, died Tuesday, April 9, 2002 at the Haskell hospital. A graveside service will be held at 2:00 P.M. on Friday at Willow Cemetery in Haskell with Dr. David Page officiating, under the direction of Holden-McCauley Funeral Directors.
Mr. Roberts was born on March 22, 1913, in Silver Valley, located in Coleman County to GA Roberts, Sr & Mary Fynetta (Gowens) Roberts. He married Mattie L. (Highnote) Roberts on August 14, 1937.
He loved farming and began his work on the farm at the age of seven. Mr. Roberts was able to farm until the age of 81. He was a Baptist and had been a resident of Old Glory since 1973.
Survivors include his wife of 64 years; two daughters and sons-in-law, Gaile and Douglas N Ray of Abilene, Fleita and Glenn Welch of Austin; two grandchildren, Lee Andrew Ray of Springbranch and Pamela Lou Wilsher of Abilene; five great-grandchildren, Grace, Makaela and Lillie Ray, Kaylee and Kandice Wilsher.
Siblings & their families:
01.William Albert "Bill", B. 5/20/1905-12/22/1965, M. Lillie B. 1/16/1914-6/02/1992, girls - Deloyce Roberts & Joyce Roberts Mueller
02. Rachel, B. 4/16/1907-6/06/1978, M. Alford C(Pete) Caudle B. 2/04/1899-6/01/1973 - no children
03. Ruby "Rose", B. 1/31/1909, M. George Logan, daughter - Loraine
04. Delia Fynetta, B. 2/02/1911-1920, (died at age 9 from rattlesnake bite)
05. Self-George A (Jr), B. 5/22/13, M. Mattie Lou, girls - Gaile & Fleita
06. Artie Harriett, B. 1/05/1915, M. Otto Spurlin dec'd, girls - Paula & Ruby Jean, M. Vic Price
07. General Washington (GW), B. 8/02/1917, M. Doris Banks, four children - Doris Jean, Bobby, Albert & Alta Mae
08. Jms Jeffery "Jimmy", B. 12/27/1920, M. Geneva, children - Judy & Ronnie
09. Mary Eleanor, B. 11/05/1922, M. WE "Buster" Fowler B. 1/17/1917, five children - Mary Edna, Willard, Glenda, Ruthie & Jerry
10. Baby Cecil died @ birth 9/16/1926
His parents, four brothers and four sisters preceded him in death.
Grandparents: Wm Roberts 1847-1938 & Eliza Willet 1843-1922, born in England and buried in Norwood Cem, Ballinger, TX.
Grandparents: General Washington Gowens, B. IA, 1860-1945 buried in Crosbyton, TX, Rachel Ann Needham B. NE, 1863-1891 buried in White Chapel, Coleman, TX.
George Albert Roberts (1877 - 1958)
Mary Fynetta Gowens Roberts (1884 - 1972)
Created by: N Roberts
Record added: Aug 22, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 21076433