|Birth: ||Sep. 11, 1318, England|
|Death: ||Jan. 11, 1372, England|
Cenotaph for Eleanor, who is buried with Richard at Chichester Cathedral.
Eleanor Plantagenet of Lancaster, Countess of Arundel was born at Grismond Castle, Monmouthshire, England and died at Arundel Castle, Sussex, England. She was the fifth daughter of Henry Plantagenet, 3rd Earl of Lancaster and Maud Chaworth. On November 6,1330, she married John de Beaumont, 2nd Lord Beaumont, son of Henry Beaumont, 4th Earl of Buchan and his wife Alice Comyn. They had two children. Eleanor was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Philippa, and was in service to her in Ghent when her son Henry was born. John de Beaumont died in a tournament on April 14, 1342.
On February 5, 1344, at Ditton Church, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, she married Richard FitzAlan, 10th Earl of Arundel. The children of Eleanor's second marriage were:
1. Richard (1346–1397), who succeeded as Earl of Arundel
2. John Fitzalan bef 1349 - 1379
3. Thomas Arundel, Archbishop of Canterbury c. 1345 -February 19, 1413
4. Joan Fitzalan 1347/1348-April 7, 1419), she married Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford
5. Alice Fitzalan 1350-March 17, 1416, she married Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent
6. Mary Fitzalan died August 29, 1396, she married John Le Strange, 4th Lord Strange of Blackmere, by whom she had issue
Eleanor died at Arundel and was buried at Lewes Priory in Lewes, Sussex, England, later moved to Chichester Cathedral.
Her husband was buried beside her; in his will Richard requests to be buried "near to the tomb of Eleanor de Lancaster, my wife; and I desire that my tomb be no higher than hers, that no men at arms, horses, hearse, or other pomp, be used at my funeral, but only five torches...as was about the corpse of my wife, be allowed."
Richard Arundel FitzAlan (1306 - 1376)*
East Sussex, England
Created by: Audrey DeCamp Hoffman
Record added: Feb 09, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 84727967