|Birth: ||May 16, 1676|
Abigail Robinson, 5th child and 2nd dau. of John Robinson (Isaac, Rev. John, John) and Elizabeth Weeks (William), b. May 16, 1676 at Falmouth, Mass. Although her purported date of birth is stated as Mar. 20, 1674/75 in the Barnstable Town Records, where neither she before her marriage nor her parents ever resided, the memorialist believes Abigail's birthdate was reversed with that of her sister Fear (see her father's memorial for further explanation).
On Feb. 18, 1695/6 of record at Sandwich, Mass. (by Shearjasub Bourne, Esq.), Abigail m. James Percival, Jr., s. of Lieut. James Percival and Mary Rainsford, b. of record Jan. 18, 1671/2 at Sandwich, Mass.
Following the b. record of son Ebenezer and dau. Mary at Falmouth, on Apr. 4, 1703 Abigail "wife of James Parsival" was admitted a member of the Barnstable Cong. Church followed by the baptism of dau. Mary on Apr. 4, 1703 and son James on July 9, 1704. At the time there was no sustained church at Falmouth for the family to belong to.
Soon thereafter this Percival family relocated to East Haddam, Conn. On Jan. 5, 1705/6 Stephen Skiffe, Esq. and William Bassett were appointed Commissioners by the Barnstable Probate Court concerning the insolvent estate of Judah Butler of Falmouth. On Feb. 20, 1706/7 the commissioners submitted a long list of creditors, including the claim "Due to James Parsival 20 sheep to be pickt [picked], witness Isa'l Robinson and Samll Lewes, 4-10-00." The name "Isa'l Robinson" has been errantly transcribed by the NEHGS as being "Israel" when without doubt it was a mis-abbrevation for "Isaac" Robinson, James Percival's brother-in-law and six year older brother of Abigail Robinson. The style of the claim infers that James Percival was not available to personally submit his claim. For, on Oct. 17, 1706 the birth of John, s. of James and Abigail (Robinson) Percival, was recorded at East Haddam, Conn. followed on Feb. 2, 1706/7 by the admission of "Abigail Passivel ye wife of Jeams Passivel [admitted to the East Haddam Cong. Chh.] from ye Church of Christ at Barnstable, Rev. Mr. Jonathan Russel, Pastor." On the latter same date was baptised recently born son John.
When Abigail (Robinson) Percival died is not of specific record. Abigail's much older 1st cousin, Ens. Thomas Robinson, removed to East Haddam prior to 1690, d. testate st Haddam on Oct. 20, 1725. The memorialist believes he is likely buried at East Haddam's Old Cove Burying Ground with only an initialed "T.R." fieldstone. The last known child of Abigail (Robinson) Percival, son Timothy, was b. at East Haddam in 1712 when Abigail was only 36 years of age. There are two other initialled fieldstones at Old Cove Burying Ground inventoried one after the other: "E.P." and "A.P." both dated 1714. It is possible this was Abigail and her son Ebenezer, who has no record beyond his known birth at Falmouth in 1699.
Abigail Robinson and James Percival had the following six known children, only five of whom are of birth and/or baptism record:
• i. Joseph Percival, b. circa 1697 or 1698 prob. at Falmouth, Mass. but no birth or baptism record has been found. He is called his father's eldest son and received property in his father's August 1728 will. However, no other record of him can be found.
• ii. Ebenezer Percival, b. of record June 18, 1699 at Falmouth, Mass. His baptism is not of record and he is not included in his father's August 1728 will and is assumed to have died young.
• iii. Mary Percival, b. of record Sept. 16, 1701 at Falmouth, Mass. and bapt. Apr. 4, 1703 at Barnstable. She was apparently unmarried on Aug. 1, 1728 and living at her father's home as she received certain property in her father's will of that date; however, no further record of her has been uncovered.
• iv. James Percival, bapt. July 9, 1704 at Barnstable, Mass., d. Mar. 19, 1737/8 of record at East Haddam, Conn.; m. July 9, 1730 at East Haddam, Elizabeth Bacon, eldest child of Beriah Bacon and Ann O'Dell, b. Sept. 17, 1714 at Middletown, Conn. Elizabeth's parental identity is proved by her father's Apr. 19, 1730 will at Middletown. She d. Dec. 12, 1739 of record at East Haddam, Conn. Four children of the family.
• v. Capt. John Percival, b. of record Oct. 17, 1706 (bapt. Feb. 2, 1706/7) at East Haddam, Conn. where he d. Sept. 14, 1786; m. Aug. 5, 1731 at East Haddam, Hannah Whitmore, dau. of Francis Whitmore and Mary Cornwall, b. Sept. 11, 1711 at Middletown, Conn. She d. May 2, 1803 at East Haddam. Twelve children of the family.
• vi. Timothy Percival, b. of record Oct. 2 (bapt. Oct. 12), 1712 at East Haddam, Conn., but no further record can be found.
John Robinson (1640 - ____)
James Percival (1671 - 1728)
James Parsivell (1704 - 1738)*
John Percival (1706 - 1786)*
John Robinson (1669 - 1727)*
Isaac Robinson (1670 - 1749)*
Fear Robinson Blossom (1675 - 1748)*
Abigail Robinson Percival (1676 - 1714)
Joseph Robinson (1679 - 1736)*
Old Cove Burying Ground
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Jan 18, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 103773178